• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Workin the bar - Après-ski

highpeaksdrifter

I have a friend at Whiteface who always quits before 2:00. [Yeah, I know, but dude is semi-retired self-employed, lives in Lake Placid and skis every day he wants.] Anyways, he goes to the bar at WF, puts 3 tables together so that when our crew, friends, etc. show we can all hang together. Its good to have a home base even if you get up and wander around.

The bar closes at 6:00 so whoever still wants to keep goin head for LP. The main spots we hit are in the southern part of town. The Station, Lisa G’s and LP Pub and Brewery (my favorite) home brews Moose Island Ale and Ubu are outstanding.

JimG.

Staff member
Since I'm just over an hour away from Hunter, just about all my trips there are day trips. Which means I'm not drinking apres-ski, at least not until I get home.

Because the cops are looking for any drunk drivers they can find on the weekend on the NYS Thruway and skiers are a favorite target.

Greg

Staff member
I like to take lunch at Christiansen's Tavern when at Jiminy Peak. Rarely drink there though, but the vibe is cool. The Mushroom at the Bush was great. Can't wait to try the new Castlerock Pub there. Egan's at the Bush is cool. If hanging in Lincoln, NH I like the Common Man or the Woodstock Inn. Not that big on the Common Man version in Warren, VT though. I liked Casey's in Killington but haven't been there in almost 10 years.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i like to do a little apres when skiing with fellow AZers, always nice to tip back a brew in the mountain's tavern with some good company after a hard days skiing. never stick around for a drink if i am by myself, don't really care for the "apres scene."

Vortex

I try to do apres ski close to the condo. I like to stop at the Sunset Grill in Campton. Get a dessert to take home and a beer. I like to grab nap after skiing so I can play later if i want. I do join the gang for lunch at Loon early before the crowds come in.

tirolerpeter

Apres Ski

Since I'm just over an hour away from Hunter, just about all my trips there are day trips. Which means I'm not drinking apres-ski, at least not until I get home.

Because the cops are looking for any drunk drivers they can find on the weekend on the NYS Thruway and skiers are a favorite target.

Same for me. A long drive after skiing all day does not lend itself to alcohol consumption. I will have ONE beer with someone if I am staying over somewhere near the mountain. And yes, the cops love to check skiers. Over the years I would say that I have been stopped "for a chat" (one ticket heading north .."instant on" radar on a curve at 5 AM, a real "speed trap" setup) at least five or six times when I have my Thule box on the roof. I have only been stopped once without the box (shorter skiis now have enough room with a third of the rear seat-back folded down).

kickstand

when we used to make the 45-60 minute drive from Jackson to Sunday River, we would rarely do apres ski at SR. If we did, we had a designated driver. It was just too long of a drive back. More often, we would head back and hit somewhere in Jackson before heading home, usually the Shannon Door or the now-defunct Shovel Handle. I love the apres ski scene, but since we no longer rent with a group, it's not nearly as fun. You definitely need a group of people to enjoy apres ski.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Usually ski Killington and as a result do something on the Killington Access Road with folks from Killington Zone, always a fun get together. Used to be the Grist Mill, but last year we started checking out new places. The one problem with this, I stayed in Rutland and one day did run into a DUI. Fortunetely I was under the limit and have always made sure to pace myself. Approx. 1 drink per hour.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I only do apres when skiing with AZer's at a gathering or with friends. I have done the apes thing at Burke quite a bit last season...Bear Den Pub. The Season Passholder's Night was quite a party...the place was full! :eek:

Grassi21

I learned by drinking and driving lesson in college. Fortunately the only things that hurt were my wallet and pride. Apres is great with a crowd. We usually do one big trip with college friends per year. Most times its me and the wife stopping for a relaxing meal before going home to the dogs. Life is great when it slows down a wee bit.

hammer

Since 98%+ of my trips are day trips, apres-ski for me is go home, get the gear (for the whole family) out of the car and clean it up for the next trip, and crash...

dmc

I usually hit the base lodge at Hunter around 3 or 4 - the bar is packed with "regulars" so there's ton's of people to drink with.. I hang out and drink a couple beers until Ski Patrol comes in from sweeps.. Then I drink some more beer and maybe some shots with my patroller friends.. The bar closes around 7... So we take cabs to somewhere to grab a burger.. or just head back to the house..

highpeaksdrifter

I usually hit the base lodge at Hunter around 3 or 4 - the bar is packed with "regulars" so there's ton's of people to drink with.. I hang out and drink a couple beers until Ski Patrol comes in from sweeps.. Then I drink some more beer and maybe some shots with my patroller friends.. The bar closes around 7... So we take cabs to somewhere to grab a burger.. or just head back to the house..

Back in the day there was a set of twins who where bartenders there. Neither one of them ever cracked a smile, They where old back then so I doubt they're still working. You or JimmyG. know who I'm talking about?

Talisman

Some great spots have already been mentioned for an apres ski beer. I usually skip apres ski, but if I do indulge it is for one (1) beer. One great spot is actually the bar at Magic as there are some good beers on tap and usually a band. I also like having a beer at a brew pub like the Long Trail.