• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

XC pole length?

cantdog

Ok, I haven't searched the archives for any older threads, but I will ask anyway.

What is the current length of XC poles in vogue?

Some of you may already be sweating the details so here they are. My skis are 180's, waxless, 3-hole binding and 23 years old. I recently pulverized the baskets of the poles I was using and would like to replace them with something inexpensive(used-ok) and would also go well(if at all possible) with my recently acquired used telemark equipment.

Is there some formula to compute the suggested length? (XC and/or telemark)

Julie

cantdog

Armpit?? Wow, that's much longer than what I have. Maybe my form will instantly improve with such a change. :idea:

cantdog

That makes sense.

Now, can anyone suggest a good used & consignment place to go looking for replacement poles? How much should I expect to spend?

SAB

General rule of thumb:

For skating, take your height (in inches) times 2.3 to get your pole length in cm.

For classical technique, the factor is 2.1.

Personally, I like longer poles for classical, but that is personal preference.

If you don't mind spending a little more - buy a pair of adjustable poles on a year-end sale. Only problem is that it is hard to find adjustables longer than about 152.