• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Sunday River Recommendations

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK...Ms. Trailboss and I are now counting down to our big Sunday River vacation....which is Sunday-Friday. :D Though I've been to Sunday River before in 2000-2001, I'd still like your trail suggestions and/or skiing strategies (where to start, end, etc). More than anything, share your experiences. We have 5.5 days of skiing, so I think we will cover most of the terrain handily. We are also signed up for their lessons...any experience with them?

Here are our profiles:

Me: Skis almost anything. Have not tried their trees. I like steep stuff and some bumps. Ripping hero turns are fun as well! :)

She: High intermediate who has done a good job keeping up with me! She prefers, "steep, groomed, and wide" stuff, which is what SR is known for. :wink:

Thanks in advance for your advice. :wink:

Vortex

I'm learning this place a little more each time I go and it is already my favorite. Steep and wide Obsession is nice. Really not that steep,but would be good for both of you. Barker has nice intermediate stuff. Sunday Punch. Risky Business and American express are nice and not to steep, fun runs. I start out at barker and move left over to hit obsession, then I work back across barker toward the Jordan Bowl a peak at a time. I work my way back a peak at a time as well.
Kansas is like a flat up and down hill trail (work at times.) That is the only direct way from Jordan to Barker I believe. Jordan tends to be colder earlier in the morning so working your way that way may keep peace at home. :) . Tree's and bumps are not my thing, hope this started you out. Enjoy

Buckeye Skier 1330

Take one day and make the 2 hour drive to Sugarloaf. If it's the same deal we had your lift ticket will be good there also. Its worth the drive!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Buckeye Skier 1330 said:
Take one day and make the 2 hour drive to Sugarloaf. If it's the same deal we had your lift ticket will be good there also. Its worth the drive!

Please elaborate!! We wanted to go to Sugarloaf (but too expensive). Which pass was it? :-?

bigbog

Trailboss,
BobR has already hit some... and in addition BobR, they WERE planning on doing something on the backside of (I forgot)..either Jordan Mtn or closer in....and making more tree skiing... Don't think they have enough outabounds cover to go & investigate.. and yes, make a day for the Loaf...it's ~45min to Farmington, then another 45min to the parking lot..
A few trails to hit :
Risky Business(more shielded from wind) / American XPress
Right Stuff (more pitch than Risky Bus.)
White Heat(steep)
Obsession
Upper Vortex (relatively steep)
Chutzpah

SR's weekends are more social skiing...Sugarloaf is less crowded.
During the week at the River is great.....after a nighttime mini-dump..you can lay fresh tracks for a whole day..

RuffusCorncobb

Definately start at Barker but get there before 8 am on weekends so you dont end up parkiing on the acess road.
For steep groomers Start out at Barker and catch Right Stuff and Top Gun. then go over to White Cap and do a run on Obsession. if you want some doublle diamonds catch White Heat and Shock wave early before they get skiied off.

From there work your way back across the mountiain grab the Locke Lift on your way back if its open and hit T2 then work your way over to spruce peak and hit Risky business Amercian Express is a nice trail but you have to weave your way thru the Park at mid way down Next head over to Arora for runs down Air glow and Northern lights. Vortex is sweet if its in good shape but its a double diamond.

Next is Oz, and Eureka is a sweet groomer. Lost Princes is usualy not groomed so you may want to skip that one. The Oz lift doesnt run durring the week and doesnt start till 10 am but you can ski Oz via the Jordan high speed quad. Its acutaly just as fast or faster if there isnt any lift line than using the Oz quad.

Jordan bowl. If the lift line isnt long there ski it all before heading to North Peak for lunch. Lunch at North Peak Lodge is nice because you get to ski out so you get warmed up right away instead of coming out cold and then frezzing your butt on a lift ride.

Afternoons are good for just poking around looking for stuff that is still in good shape. and finding some sweet piles on the edges of trails. Arora is usualy not to crowded so if the lift lines are bothersome thats a good place to go.

If its windy I usualy hang out at Spruce Peak or North Peak, they seam to be the best protected from the wind. the worst in the wind are White cap, Jordan and Arora, not necesarly in that order, depends on the wind direction I think Jordan sees the most wind holds but I could be wrong.

RuffusCorncobb

almost forgot

Best tip I can think of is to avoid south Ridge.when ever possible. Its the main lodge so Sunday River puts all the Busses, rentals and lessons into South Ridge which makes that area a ZOO. only go there if you need to buy equipment, rent equipment, take lessons or need to ski green circle trails..

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep, got it. Thanks! We'll ask when we get there. BTW...I fixed the quotation box for you (hope you don't mind). :wink:

Skimaine4ever

Website
www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com
Some of my personel favorite trails are...

Obsesion- Nice cruiser, not too steep but, a good groomed run thats not to crowded.

Right Stuff- Its marked a Black Diamond but tis more like a high intermediate, still and awsome run though it tends to be crowded.

Lazy River- Not steep but its a fun run with a variety of dips and turms.

3D- Nice intermediate bump run, 1 side of it is sometimes groomed too.

Northern Lights- Awsome long cruiser that is not usually crowded, basically all of Aurora is never crowded, Shhhhhh.

Eureka- Has a consistant pitch and is often groomed, verey wide too.

Rogue Angel- Best intermediate trail at the mountain I think, its long wide and has some huge rolls on it that are fun to catch air of of, not very steep though.

Glades- Blind Ambition and Last Tango are good begginer glades, Flying monkey, Wizards Gulch, Celestial, Hard Ball, and Chutzpah are among the hardest of the glades and Oz has some thin glades that are really fun. Spruce Cliffs wont be open unless we get a ton of snow, but from what I here its nothing special.

Have fun, and I hope this helps.