• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Blowing Snow?

Cornhead

Camelback is often the last place to close in PA. Glad to see they are still blowing snow.
Never skied Camelback till a couple springs ago, I think they closed 100% open, pretty impressive.

jimmywilson69

They made snow during this latest cold snap that started last Friday?
No it was 55 degrees all weekend here.

The first week of March it was cold enough to make snow. Historically they never make snow in March even under private ownership

machski

Sunday River made more snow again last night on Sunday Punch, Right Stuff and Lower Lazy River. Weather forecast is pushing them to next week, close to 60 and wet the second half.

skiur

K planning to blow snow again tonight, haven't said where yet. Still nothing from epic and ikon!

tumbler

With the sun and temps coming up this week it would be a waste

Newpylong

Killington making snow on Superstar, so much for no hoses indicating they were done there (told folks they weren't).

Also Ovation, Bunny Buster and Outer Limits (as it gets colder).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington making snow on Superstar, so much for no hoses indicating they were done there (told folks they weren't).

They essentially lost the first 4-5 weeks of there traditional snowmaking season due to the tropical fall so it's good to see them push an extra couple weeks on the backside...and not just Superstar, Bittersweet, and Skyelark either... really impressive!

skiur

Hoses still gone on superstar, they are only making snow on the headwall, nothing below launch pad.

Newpylong

Hoses still gone on superstar, they are only making snow on the headwall, nothing below launch pad.
Correct, but last I checked those K3000s still need hoses :). My point was lack of hoses can be, but is not always indicative of future plans.

Last edited:

skiur

Correct, but last I checked those K3000s still need hoses :). My point was lack of hoses can be, but is not always indicative of future plans.
They put 10 hoses back on the headwall, not hundreds along the whole trail.

chuckstah

Sugarloaf says they're going to fire up the system over this upcoming weekend. Seems pretty late for them. Must need more to reach the 150 day season guarantee.

machski

Sugarloaf says they're going to fire up the system over this upcoming weekend. Seems pretty late for them. Must need more to reach the 150 day season guarantee.
They made snow Monday night this week too. They probably should have made when Sunday River did mid month as those cold shots were longer and deeper.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Didn't know they had a 150 day guarantee.

They made snow around this time the last time we held the AZ Summit in the spring. 2012ish? They had to to open the five or so TTB routes they had. That was worse than this spring. I look back and call it the nuclear March. Most places were done by 4/1 that year. Boyne had to relocate their British tour business in April that year from Sunday River to Sugarloaf.

Last edited:

machski

Didn't know they had a 150 day guarantee.

They made snow around this time the last time we held the AZ Summit in the spring. 2012ish? They had to to open the five or so TTB routes they had. That was worse than this spring. I look back and call it the nuclear March. Most places were done by 4/1 that year. Boyne had to relocate their British tour business in April that year from Sunday River to Sugarloaf.
No, they did not have to relocate from SR to SL. Sunday River made snow right into April that year to provide for the British groups when the cold return post meltdown. I believe those groups altered their plans and bypassed Killington that year and just skied in Maine.

April Snowmaking set to return to the River tonight and tomorrow night again. Not surprised lower punch is on the list but Right Stuff is surprising, that looked super deep this past Saturday. Too bad it's a work week and I miss it.

tumbler

Sugarbush is blowing on Middle Earth so they can re-open this weekend!!