• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

wa-loaf

Keep us posted!

What are you getting for a new phone? The 4S?

Went without a hitch. Haven't played with it much, but being able to double click the home button from alseep to get the camera is cool as well as using volume up as the clicker instead of the screen. It also pulled the videos out of the music and is in a new Video app. Added newstand app and reminders too. Doesn't feel like it's slowed down the phone (3Gs) any either.

Yup, got a 4s coming tomorrow!

Glenn

I'm bummed I can't mirror with the iPad unless I jailbreak. Oh well, right?

Are you going to an Apple Store or a carrier store? It'll be interesting to hear how the stores are tomorrow.

wa-loaf

I'm bummed I can't mirror with the iPad unless I jailbreak. Oh well, right?

Are you going to an Apple Store or a carrier store? It'll be interesting to hear how the stores are tomorrow.

I ordered it from Apple last Friday. It's with UPS somewhere between here and Kentucky.

Glenn

Wow...that was a chore! The DL took awhile, but that's probably more related to my interweb speed at home. After that, things got interesting. Usually, iTunes and the iPad will chug along just fine. This time, the computer screen went black and I could only see the "start" button at the bottom. It came out of that the first time and went on to the next stage...then it did it again. I ended up going into the iPad and found it had indeed installed os5. After setting things up, I had a ton of "other data"....like 6 gigs worth. A quick sync took care of that. Only thing I had to do after was re DL our apps. They were all still in the app store.

Cliffs: Thank God this was the last wired update. Wifi updates FTW.

wa-loaf

Wow...that was a chore! The DL took awhile, but that's probably more related to my interweb speed at home. After that, things got interesting. Usually, iTunes and the iPad will chug along just fine. This time, the computer screen went black and I could only see the "start" button at the bottom. It came out of that the first time and went on to the next stage...then it did it again. I ended up going into the iPad and found it had indeed installed os5. After setting things up, I had a ton of "other data"....like 6 gigs worth. A quick sync took care of that. Only thing I had to do after was re DL our apps. They were all still in the app store.

Cliffs: Thank God this was the last wired update. Wifi updates FTW.

I upgraded my macbook to Lion yesterday too. It took forever to download and install, but there were no real problems. I did it so I can migrate stuff to iCloud. The iCloud servers we swamped yesterday and it wouldn't let me (after going through all the steps to set it up, you'd think they could warn you at the start) so I'll give it a few days and try again.

Phone is out for delivery!

Glenn

Cool! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the phone. A lot of the tech blogs are active with 4S stuff today.

wa-loaf

Cool! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the phone. A lot of the tech blogs are active with 4S stuff today.

So far so good. I did go through a bit of upgrading yesterday. My laptop to Lion $30 and iPhoto 10.5 $15 ... so I could use all the features of iCloud. Got everything synched and working great. The phone itself is really fast (compared to my 3Gs) and the screen is so much sharper. Siri is pretty cool, worked great to send a text to my girlfriend via voice only, but couldn't get me listings for the circus that is in Boston this weekend. It just dumps you into a google search when it can't figure stuff out.

I ran into a trouble initializing the phone at first by itself, but when I hooked it up to iTunes it went fine. Must go through a different server that wasn't as overloaded.

Glenn

Sounds good so far! They sold 4 million over the weekend. That's just insane.

wa-loaf

Just don't drop one ...

I bought the full apple care warranty. Costs me $50 to replace if I do something stupid to it. Beats the hell out of full price. I do need to think about getting some kind of case.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Just don't drop one ...

I bought the full apple care warranty. Costs me $50 to replace if I do something stupid to it. Beats the hell out of full price. I do need to think about getting some kind of case.

I would like to see two sets of phones in that test to take away dumb luck.

bvibert

Staff member

A more scientific test would certainly be preferable. But it's certainly not the first time I've heard of an iPhone shattering after a relatively common drop, so the results aren't hard to believe.

wa-loaf

A more scientific test would certainly be preferable. But it's certainly not the first time I've heard of an iPhone shattering after a relatively common drop, so the results aren't hard to believe.

It's the front and back glass. And the fact that the edges of the glass itself sits above the steel band making them more likely to receive a fatal blow if dropped.

legalskier

"Divorcing wife. Thanks iPhone 4s and Find My Friends....

*** If the online posts appearing on a chat forum at MacRumors.com are for real, "Find My Friends" may have already claimed its first marriage. Saturday night on MacRumors, a man saying he lived in New York City posted this:
"Divorcing wife. Thanks iPhone 4s and Find My Friends. I got my wife a new 4s and loaded up find my friends without her knowing. She told me she was at her friends house in the east village. I've had suspicions about her meeting this guy who live uptown. Lo and behold, Find my Friends has her right there.
I just texted her asking where she was and the dumb b---- said she was on 10th Street!! Thank you Apple, thank you App Store, thank you all. These beautiful treasure trove of screen shots [sic] going to play well when I meet her ... at the lawyer's office in a few weeks." ***

More dirt: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/iphone-app-find-friends-finds-cheating-wife-apple/story?id=14753196

drjeff

*** If the online posts appearing on a chat forum at MacRumors.com are for real, "Find My Friends" may have already claimed its first marriage. Saturday night on MacRumors, a man saying he lived in New York City posted this:
"Divorcing wife. Thanks iPhone 4s and Find My Friends. I got my wife a new 4s and loaded up find my friends without her knowing. She told me she was at her friends house in the east village. I've had suspicions about her meeting this guy who live uptown. Lo and behold, Find my Friends has her right there.
I just texted her asking where she was and the dumb b---- said she was on 10th Street!! Thank you Apple, thank you App Store, thank you all. These beautiful treasure trove of screen shots [sic] going to play well when I meet her ... at the lawyer's office in a few weeks." ***

More dirt: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/iphone-app-find-friends-finds-cheating-wife-apple/story?id=14753196

Probably won't be the last time it happens too, Especially when you have one spouse that is far more tech savy than the other

ctenidae

I hate you. You made me watch a segment of The View, and I laughed at it. I feel so dirty.