• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Closings

AdironRider

I skied at Shawnee Mountain today. Never seen anything like it in my life. The goal was to aim for the white stuff and avoid the brown stuff. I have no idea why it was even open. Three trails, plus the bunnyslope. And for one trail, you had to take off your skis and walk about 50 yards to get to the start of the snow.

This is what K regulars are demanding the stay open for by the way.

MadPadraic

Getting scared for the AZ Summit at the 'Loaf... their trail count took a huge hit today...

Anyone up that way have eyes on the situation?

-w

I was there this weekend. The biggest problem is rocks are poking through, which spread. The super quad and skyline still had decent coverage, but ....

Sadly, Misery Whip seems done for.

EatSleepSki

Sugarbush changed the date on pond skimming to 3/24 from 3/31. think they are getting nervous they will have to close or that no contestants will show up??

hammer

Been checking around at NH areas...Sunapee, Gunstock, and Pats Peak are hanging in there although Pats Peak is going fast. I'm actually surprised that they have made it this far. Crotched was very slushy on Saturday but they could have stayed open with the coverage they had. Don't blame them but it's interesting how they closed but Pats Peak didn't.

I'm done for the season and OK with it...no time to go on a long road trip, and skiing the slush is perilous if you don't have the skills to coast above it. Don't want to get injured before going on vacation in a few weeks.

drjeff

Sugarbush changed the date on pond skimming to 3/24 from 3/31. think they are getting nervous they will have to close or that no contestants will show up??

Sunapee cancelled their pond skimming :-(

Mount Snow's is scheduled for this Saturday the 24th(no change in date) in conjunction with Regae Fest. The tongue and cheek joke with some of the management and ambassadors last weekend is that they'll have plenty of WATER to fill the pond, just not sure if they'll be enough snow in the area that they're planning on having the pond this year (had to move it to the otherside of the base area this year because of where the storrage barn for the Bluebird Express is) to get the pond deep enough! ;)

2knees

It looks like its supposed to get cold again after saturday. not that it matters at this point. the damage has been done.

Riverskier

It looks like its supposed to get cold again after saturday. not that it matters at this point. the damage has been done.

Oh, it matters. It will help preserve whats left and hopefully allow some areas to make in another couple/few weeks. As unlikely as it seems now, I would not rule out April snow, particularly at far northern areas like Saddleback and Sugarloaf. April is statistically Sugarloaf's second snowiest month of the year. Sunday River has stated that they will fire up the snow guns again too, temperatures permitting. They also still have a very deep base on certain trails. Things certainly look bleak, but it is definitely NOT over.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Oh, it matters. It will help preserve whats left and hopefully allow some areas to make in another couple/few weeks. As unlikely as it seems now, I would not rule out April snow, particularly at far northern areas like Saddleback and Sugarloaf. April is statistically Sugarloaf's second snowiest month of the year. Sunday River has stated that they will fire up the snow guns again too, temperatures permitting. They also still have a very deep base on certain trails. Things certainly look bleak, but it is definitely NOT over.

While I agree that there's a good chance of April snow (reversion to the mean), best case scenario is that it benefits Saddleback, Sugarloaf, and possibly Jay and K-ton. Most likely is that it's just blue balls for everyone.

Sunday River will make snow to ensure their Parrothead festival is a go, but beyond that I just don't see the business sense.

BenedictGomez said:
I skied at Shawnee Mountain today. Never seen anything like it in my life. The goal was to aim for the white stuff and avoid the brown stuff. I have no idea why it was even open. Three trails, plus the bunnyslope. And for one trail, you had to take off your skis and walk about 50 yards to get to the start of the snow.
This is what K regulars are demanding the stay open for by the way.
Completely wrong, AdironRider. Last year Killington shut down the Bear and Needles areas weeks before the snow melted. No walking would have been required. All I want is for the lifts to be open when there is snow. A moot point this year it seems.

SkiFanE

While I agree that there's a good chance of April snow (reversion to the mean), best case scenario is that it benefits Saddleback, Sugarloaf, and possibly Jay and K-ton. Most likely is that it's just blue balls for everyone.

Sunday River will make snow to ensure their Parrothead festival is a go, but beyond that I just don't see the business sense.

Season's passes for next year are up for sale NOW. I have no idea if any late effort to make snow will help sell passes, we buy them either way. But it certainly shows committment and refusal to toss the towel in. There is always a huge brit invasion to SR in late March/April, so they have to keep things covered. There is deep deep coverage on some trails, making it through this week shouldn't be a problem (but will that big rock on top of white cap could cause early melting?).

Geoff

Season's passes for next year are up for sale NOW. I have no idea if any late effort to make snow will help sell passes, we buy them either way. But it certainly shows committment and refusal to toss the towel in. There is always a huge brit invasion to SR in late March/April, so they have to keep things covered. There is deep deep coverage on some trails, making it through this week shouldn't be a problem (but will that big rock on top of white cap could cause early melting?).

Killington has a Brit invasion coming the first week of April, too. I hope they like VW-sized moguls on Superstar.

Edd

Just skied 4 NH ski areas in the last 3 days. Switched over from Wildcat to Attitash at lunchtime yesterday. Attitash is in better shape than The Cat I'm sorry to say. Nevertheless, the bartender at the Cat said they are going to shoot for May 1st. Not going to happen but I love the attitude.

2knees

I guess I should've said not that it matters for most areas.

Tooth

Its an amazing spring day here at Sugarloaf. Holy crap the weather is perfect. Almost too warm. If you can get out tomorrow I would. Its great spring skiing at its best.

:daffy:

jaywbigred

http://mountsnow.com/3-20-12-closing-date/

"So here is the scoop – we will be skiing and riding through Sunday, March 25th and then we will close."

Ugh. Brewer's Festival canceled. Presumably Glade-iator too. Mt. Dew Vertical Challenge Finals canceled.

Slight chance of Carinthia reopening 3/31.

I am so, so bummed.