• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Safaring

4aprice

Do you do this? Hit multiple ski areas on a weekend trip? Try to ski as many different areas you can in a season? One of these days the wife and I want to move west, but it won't be for several years and I wouldn't mind making one more pass at trying to skiing as many northeastern resorts as possible. Been several I haven't been too in a long time, some have added new terrain or are planning to. The northeast is a great place to do this with most of the areas clustered together.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

I do this with every trip. Jay/Burke and/or Cannon, Sugarloaf/Saddleback, Sugarbush/MRG, hit Stratton/ Magic and Bromley last year. This year doing Whiteface, Titus and Gore. Next year in CO doing Breckenridge, Copper, A-Basin then heading South and hitting Wolf Creek, Durango and also Taos. In Tahoe hit Squaw, Sugarbowl, Rose and Alpine Meadows. Variety is the spice of life.

snowmonster

Used to do this a lot especially when I was starting out in the sport and was car-less. I was at the mercy of the ski bus then and I would go wherever they went (e.g., Sunday River on Saturday then Killington on Sunday). Progressed into renting a car and ski weekends were spent trying to hit as many resorts in one trip (e.g., Burke, MRG, Bush in one weekend). Because money was tight then and it was actually cheaper to just drive back to Boston than rent a room. This led to weird trips like ski Crotched on Saturday, sleep in Boston then drive to Pico on Sunday then back to Boston. Those were the days.

Now, ski safariing is limited to when I head out west and try to ski as many mountains as I can to sample the terrain.

Edd

One week I hit Sunday River, Bretton Woods, Wildcat, Stowe, Smuggs, and Mt Ellen. I was toast on the last day.

I've been to Tahoe a couple of times and SLC once and I sort of go a little batshit trying to decide which mountain to hit which day. Staying at Whistler is easier because all of your choices are made on the hill. First world problems.

Every year the Ski Magazine polls lead me to consider places like Steamboat, Telluride, and Big Sky just because they are single locations that I can settle into and not consider the merits of 4 different resorts. I've never skied Colorado or Montana.

crank

I do it all the time, both east and west. A couple good ones were: Gore, Whiteface, Jay, Okemo which was a big loop for us from CT. Also did Saddleback, Sunday River, Ste Anne, Jay. An easy one is Sugarbush, MRG, Stowe. Have skied Summit County CO several times always at multiple areas and always hit 2-4 resorts when in UT.

Cannonball

Definitely do this a lot (though not as much recently). It's been a long time fantasy to take a winter off, get an RV, and go slowly up VT100 and down I-93 over the course of the season.

Cornhead

Yep, do it all the time. Last year I hit Platty, tried to ski Whiteface, wind holds, Sugarbush, and MRG. All in one trip. Year before, I hit Wildcat, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf Easter weekend. I get Good Friday off, and take the Monday after Easter off every year. Makes for a sweet four day Spring skiing weekend.I spent more on gas than lift tickets. I also hit Saddleback last Spring and decided to crash the AZ summit since I was in the neighborhood.

When I first started traveling to ski, I did five days in a row in VT. I thought I had a stress fracture in my foot. I could barely walk, but all was good once I got my boots on.

snowmonster

Definitely do this a lot (though not as much recently). It's been a long time fantasy to take a winter off, get an RV, and go slowly up VT100 and down I-93 over the course of the season.
Sounds like a great plan. I always dreamed of a VT 100 vacation.

I looked at my ski logs and it seems that most of my ski safaris were days when I did backcountry tours. I had a Cardigan-Moosilauke weekend then a Cog Railway-Gulf of Slides-Doublehead-Black Mountain adventure.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Calling billski....

:D

I try to hit as many new areas as possible every season. I really enjoy seeing new areas and discovering new favorites. My big problem now is there aren't many new areas left for me to it! At least not a lot that are within a day trip and that I consider worth the drive.

I day trip only and don't overnight so I don't really do any proper safaris. I did ski two areas in one day last year for the express purpose of crossing both off the list (and using my vouchers before they expired!).

steamboat1

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I can sometimes go to VT. for 3 or 4 days & only ski K (I usually buy a season pass). Other times I go to VT. for 3 or 4 days & not ski K at all. When I go other places say NH, ME, Canada or out west I try to hit several places but then again not always. I've spent a week at Snowbird & never left & another time spent a week at Alta & never left even though they're walking distance from each other. I've spent a week in Summit County & even though I was staying right across the street from the chair at BrecK only skied there one day. I've stayed at the Loaf & only skied there then other times stay in Rangeley & hit the Loaf, Saddleback & Sunday River. Spent a week at Big Sky & skied there several days but also hit Bridger Bowl one day & another day snowmobiling in Yellowstone. Not to much left for me to hit in the east but I have several wish list areas out west/Canada. Next journey I'd like to go to Banff & hit all the areas around there then drive up the glacier highway to Jasper & hit Marmot.