• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I love a good 6 pack

Anklebiter

I'll be heading to Lake Tahoe from March 8th to 15th. Specifically, South Lake Tahoe staying about half mile from the Heavenly's Gondola. I've purchased the Lake Tahoe Six-Pack for our group, but I never skied Tahoe before. Here is the voucher breakdown. How would you ski it?

The Lake Tahoe Six-Pack is comprised of 6 individual vouchers, which include:
  • 1 ticket valid at either Heavenly, Kirkwood or Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe
  • 1 ticket valid at either Heavenly or Sierra-at-Tahoe
  • 1 ticket valid at either Kirkwood or Sierra-at-Tahoe
  • 1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows or Mt. Rose–Ski Tahoe
  • 1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley or Northstar California
  • 1 ticket valid at Alpine Meadows or Northstar California

Oh, I love a good 6 pack of beer, too:beer:

Smellytele

The issue is where you are staying on the south side near Heavenly. Might want to skip Mt Rose (good when if it happens to be raining at lower elev) and do 2 days at Heavenly instead for the convenience.

skiNEwhere

I'd avoid Heavenly all together. There's some good terrain to be found but it's too "touristy" IMHO. You spend more time swerving out of people who are skiing terrain way outside their ski level than actually enjoying yourself

snoseek

I'd avoid Heavenly all together. There's some good terrain to be found but it's too "touristy" IMHO. You spend more time swerving out of people who are skiing terrain way outside their ski level than actually enjoying yourself

While I like Kirkwood the best, I can show you many things at Heavenly (assuming the snow is good, which in March it will be) that would make you think differently.

snoseek

The issue is where you are staying on the south side near Heavenly. Might want to skip Mt Rose (good when if it happens to be raining at lower elev) and do 2 days at Heavenly instead for the convenience.

That is how I would do it I think.

Anklebiter

Is Heavenly that crowded during the week?

Anklebiter

While I like Kirkwood the best, I can show you many things at Heavenly (assuming the snow is good, which in March it will be) that would make you think differently.
I'll have to hold you to that. The biggest problem for me, when going to larger ski resorts. Is knowing where the best skiing is on the mountain and getting to it.

snoseek

I'll have to hold you to that. The biggest problem for me, when going to larger ski resorts. Is knowing where the best skiing is on the mountain and getting to it.

Definitely, I'm located a two minute drive to the tram. I've gotten to know the mountain real well, will get to know it even more by march. Do you all like trees???

Also, If you like the occasional high speed cruising with some great trees and fast lifts Northstar can be fun for a day. I know many on here will give me shit about saying that but on the midweek the place is actually fun, with incredibly fast lifts and very little people. Its great on a snowy thursday.

Last edited:

Anklebiter

What kind of skier(s) are you?

certain areas can get congested. It's a little like killington in the it can be avoided

I like skiing everything piste, off piste, trees, moguls and even parks. That being said, I won't claim to be the best skier in the world. The guys I ski with are less adventurous then I'm. Solid black diamonds skiers, that will do some off piste terrain.

Anklebiter

Definitely, I'm located a two minute drive to the tram. I've gotten to know the mountain real well, will get to know it even more by march. Do you all like trees???

Yes, I like trees. I've hit a few in my day.

jaytrem

Last time I was at Tahoe I had it all planned out. Between wind and snow the plan went competely out the window. So you might have to be flexable. The drive from South to North might not even be possible, so keep an eye on the weather. It would suck to only have North tickets left and no way to get there. If it's windy, Northstar is your best option. They do have lots of nice tree skiing and that Lookout Mountain was deserted when I was there. if you have any extra days to ski beyond the six you could most easily find discounts for Mt. Rose, Squaw, Alpine, Sierra (not sure about Kirkwood after the Vail purchase). I like variety so I'd go with...

1 ticket valid at either Heavenly, Kirkwood or Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe
1 ticket valid at either Heavenly or Sierra-at-Tahoe
1 ticket valid at either Kirkwood or Sierra-at-Tahoe
1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows or Mt. Rose–Ski Tahoe
1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley or Northstar California
1 ticket valid at Alpine Meadows or Northstar California

Though that would be a lot of driving. To get ride of a drive change the first ticket to Heavenly. At any rate it's hard to go wrong, I'm sure you'll have a great time!!!

Anklebiter

Last time I was at Tahoe I had it all planned out. Between wind and snow the plan went competely out the window. So you might have to be flexable. The drive from South to North might not even be possible, so keep an eye on the weather. It would suck to only have North tickets left and no way to get there. If it's windy, Northstar is your best option. They do have lots of nice tree skiing and that Lookout Mountain was deserted when I was there. if you have any extra days to ski beyond the six you could most easily find discounts for Mt. Rose, Squaw, Alpine, Sierra (not sure about Kirkwood after the Vail purchase). I like variety so I'd go with...

1 ticket valid at either Heavenly, Kirkwood or Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe
1 ticket valid at either Heavenly or Sierra-at-Tahoe
1 ticket valid at either Kirkwood or Sierra-at-Tahoe
1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows or Mt. Rose–Ski Tahoe
1 ticket valid at Squaw Valley or Northstar California
1 ticket valid at Alpine Meadows or Northstar California

Though that would be a lot of driving. To get ride of a drive change the first ticket to Heavenly. At any rate it's hard to go wrong, I'm sure you'll have a great time!!!

Thanks for the advice. I've heard that Northstar is the place for windy days. Yes, we are flexible. I just like to have a loose game plan once we get out to Tahoe.