• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skinning the Catskills

watkin

Was thinking of getting out and earning some turns this weekend in the Catskills or Eastern PA/NJ.

Anyone know of any mountains in the general area that allow uphill traffic? Plattekill is still closed, am thinking that might be a good option if they allow it while they are snowmaking.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I not sure about Platty but no snow up their and they have not made snow yet, some natural probably getting washed away.:(

dmc

We skin up Hunter.. But start before the lifts spin and mainly when there's more terrain open so we don't get in the way of snowmaking and stuff.. And if someone at the mountain says no we gladly turn around. You could probably skin up Belleayre too but I'd do it before the lifts ope there as well..

On a good day I've made it up before ski patrol...haha..

millerm277

No natural snow anywhere, and agreed with others....with the limited terrain at the moment, unless you're doing it outside of when the lifts are running, I wouldn't.

BenedictGomez

I not sure about Platty but no snow up their and they have not made snow yet, some natural probably getting washed away.:(

Sent from my superbadass sweet Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

Yup, looks like I wont even ski once before heading to Florida for Christmas this year again. :-( January to April will have to make up for lost time.

ScottySkis

I don't know how hard it is but in a month or so Bearpen near Roxbury NY probably have enough snow to skin.

BenedictGomez

I don't know how hard it is but in a month or so Bearpen near Roxbury NY probably have enough snow to skin.

Someday I'd like to hook up with a local and try that. Isnt there a road that goes decently high up the mountain?

tarponhead

Look on google earth for the clear cuts they made for the fracking pipelines, that is when there is enough natural. Waterbars and everything so not hard to spot

Bene288

I've seen people skin up skiers left at Belleayre. Definitely need some natural though.