• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Traill Opening

Puck it

Looks like they are going for the same offfering as last year instead of going with the HSQ like they did for years.

Zooomer and Eagle Cliff for lifts.

10962631135_36834babbe_b.jpg
10950580894_71239ed110_b.jpg

Puck it

That didn't work out so great last year. But I still think it has potential.

True, but I think it is better than HSQ rollout since it spends out the people between two pods. It also looks like they blowing more than last year too. They are blowing Gremlin too. It would be nice if they blew Rocket along with Gary's.

Puck it

And what excuse will they pull out of the hat this year? :)

They have them lined up all ready :

Father dying last year... Mother dying last year... Mother and father dying... Mother, father and older sister dying... Mother dying and older sister pregnant... Older sister dying and mother pregnant... Younger sister pregnant and older sister dying... Here's an oldie but a goodie... half of the family dying, other half pregnant.

skiberg

I think we are going to be ok this year. Keep in mind they have until the 29th. 9 days and it looks like they will be able to blow snow the majority of this time. I think they are hitting the lower mountain to make sure they will have something open for the 29th, so they don't repeat last year. I am willing to bet you will see snow being blown on middle cannon and ravine prior to turkey day and I bet they will get those trails open by opening day. With the new fan guns and nozzles it will help. The mountain hasn't even opened yet and they appear to be on schedule.

skiberg

Read this forecast and I think you will all feel a little better about Cannon's prospects. .LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 325 AM EST WEDNESDAY...FOR THE EXTENDED PERIOD...COLD FRONT WILL
SLOWLY PUSH THRU THE AREA FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY
MORNING...BFR LIFTING INTO EASTERN CANADA/MARITIMES. UPPER
LOW/TROUGH BEHIND EXITING FRONT...WILL THEN SWING THRU THE
NORTHEAST OVER THE UPCOMING WEEKEND...PROVIDING THE AREA WITH
BROAD WNW/NNW FLOW. THIS IN TURN WILL DRAG DOWN ANOTHER SHOT OF
COLD AIR FROM CENTRAL CANADA WITH FOCUS FOR MOST PRECIP BEING OVER
HIR TRRN/NW FACING SLOPES. WILL CONTINUE HIR CONCENTRATION OF POPS
THERE AS MDLS IN FAIR AGREEMENT FOR SITUATION TO OCCUR. THIS WILL
BE FOLLOWED BY A WK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE FOR SUN
NGT/MONDAY...AND A CLIPPER SYSTEM MVG OVER GREAT LKS REGION AND
THRU AREA ON TUESDAY. TEMPS IN THE EXTENDED AS A RESULT OF CURRENT
SYNOPSIS WILL BRING BLW NORMAL TEMPS ESPECIALLY FIR THE HIGHS
WHICH RANGE 30S TO NEAR 40F CLOSE TO MIDWEEK NEXT WEEK. LOWS WILL
BE IN TEENS TO THE 20S MAINLY WITH SOME L30S IN CVLY. COLDEST IN
DACKS/NE VT WHERE SINGLE NUMBERS POSSIBLE MONDAY WHEN WK RIDGE
CRESTS OVER AREA. PRECIP IN THE EXTENDED WILL HAVE MIX OF RW/SW
WITH FRONT FRI NGT/SAT...THEN SHIFT TO ALL -SW AS NW FLOW
COMMENCES. UPSLOPE -SW PERSIST INTO SUNDAY WITH LGT ACCUM POSSIBLE
OVER HIR ELEV. THE CLIPPER SYSTEM FOR TUESDAY DOES SWING NORTH OF
THE AREA AND WILL THUS KEEP BEST CHANCES FOR PRECIP OVER NORTHERN
ZONES CLOSEST TO THE PASSING LOW.

Puck it

I think they are hitting the lower mountain to make sure they will have something open for the 29th, so they don't repeat last year

Huh? They are blowing exactly what they blew last year for opening day. It took a while to expand last year due to the inversions. I think you mean the year before when they blew Mid Cannon and lost it. Remember the Threecy rant!!!

Puck it

Didn't they fail to open for thanksgiving last year.

I don't remember but I do recall this trail rollout though. They may have opened the week after since it was early last year. They washed the year befoe for sure though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Too bad they don't use the HSQ to download and offer skiing off the top. The layout is conducive to that. I understand that the snowmaking and lifts may need some help, based on what I've heard here, but it would be a good option.

Cannonball

Too bad they don't use the HSQ to download and offer skiing off the top. The layout is conducive to that. I understand that the snowmaking and lifts may need some help, based on what I've heard here, but it would be a good option.

We should find last year's thread and just re insert it here. These were all options that were discussed. Threecy made your same argument (a valid one), citing that WV was smarter than Cannon because they started up top. Either one is a gamble and it's only weather and hindsight that make one option a winner.

But the big thing I'll never understand is the under-utilization of the tram. If you are going to blow snow up top with a downloading option, make it the tram not the HSQ. Then you can just walk on!! And you can have the tram top cafeteria open. That would serve skiers slope side instead of downloading all the way to Peabody.

Smellytele

We should find last year's thread and just re insert it here. These were all options that were discussed. Threecy made your same argument (a valid one), citing that WV was smarter than Cannon because they started up top. Either one is a gamble and it's only weather and hindsight that make one option a winner.

But the big thing I'll never understand is the under-utilization of the tram. If you are going to blow snow up top with a downloading option, make it the tram not the HSQ. Then you can just walk on!! And you can have the tram top cafeteria open. That would serve skiers slope side instead of downloading all the way to Peabody.

Peabody has more of the services - Bar, rentals, store and such

AdironRider

Trams are sweet and all but as the primary lift early season it would suck.

Puck it

Trams are sweet and all but as the primary lift early season it would suck.

cannonball would the lift for skiing. The tram would get you there and back.

tram house has a bar and food now. No rentals though, early season is not for beginners.