• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Think you were cold skiing the last few cold snaps?Yikes this is cold!

SIKSKIER

Mt Washington Observatory:

This evening temperatures will rapidly fall into the 20s below zero, bottoming out in the upper 20s below after midnight. Wind chills will possibly exceed 80 below late tonight; as winds topping out near the century mark combine with the coldest air of the winter season over the higher summits.

4aprice

I was thinking about starting a thread about the "Wimp Factor" cause I got it big. Could not get warm yesterday even being down here in PA. If I had time today wouldn't have been a bad day to be out but the next 2 will have me hibernating. Love snow and hope it falls but I'm REALLY looking forward (Hopefully-fingers crossed) to those 40-50 degree days with a deep base and lots of sun. How's that for wimpiness?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Puck it

I am sick of hearing the complaining and the news hyping of the f'ing polar vortex. I grew up in upstate NY. 20 below was common. The coldest temp without windchill was -52 12/25/80 in Parishville, NY.

People, it is winter. It gets cold.

steamboat1

This is why I postponed (again) my trip till Wed. It will still be cold Wed. but temperatures are forecast to moderate for Thur.-Fri. Wanted to hit up MRG for rollback Tues. but not with this on mountain forecast:

TUESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES AROUND 10 BELOW. WEST WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHWEST AROUND 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 46 BELOW.

Hope they break out the old wool poncho's for riding the single.

Edd

Planning on Cranmore tomorrow. Forecast has a high of 9. I have friends riding Jay tomorrow so I feel lucky?

mlctvt

Yes it was cold yesterday but it was the least crowded weekend day I've seen in a while, which was great for me and my guests!

Everyone stay home when it's below 20 degrees

SkiRaceParent

Yesterday was -1 at Burke with 3 mph winds and sun. Saturday it was 18 degrees with gusts to 30 and snow showers. Which day do you think felt colder?

JDMRoma

I really don't care about the cold but this Fn Wind has got to stop…..WTF !!

jack97

I am sick of hearing the complaining and the news hyping of the f'ing polar vortex. I grew up in upstate NY. 20 below was common. The coldest temp without windchill was -52 12/25/80 in Parishville, NY.

People, it is winter. It gets cold.

blame the media for "going native" in terms of a certain molecule being the villain of all causes.

btw, I'm going no matter how cold it gets, if my base layer isn't doing its job then I go to the lodge to warm up... its not that complicated.

JDMRoma

It's not the cold, it is the damn goggles becoming iced up every 2 runs that pisses me off.

I was having the same problem, I was told to use Cat Crap…..and it seems to be working….at least it did on Sunday !
Too warm today for any issues...

jack97

It's not the cold, it is the damn goggles becoming iced up every 2 runs that pisses me off.

I had that problem with my old face mask, I use to wear a balaclava that would cover up both the nose and mouth. When I breath out, the hot air would go up my goggles and fog or ice depending on conditions.

Change over to a clava that over covers the top part of my nose and a small holes over the mouth, air from the nose would go down and the air from the mouth goes out thru the small holes. Never had the fog/ice problem with this type of mask.

SIKSKIER

Change over to a clava that over covers the top part of my nose and a small holes over the mouth, air from the nose would go down and the air from the mouth goes out thru the small holes.
I have one of those but rarely use it.Mine was neoprene and I still didn't like the restriction of the mouth holes so I simply cut those out in the shape of a mouth opening.Much better.