• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

abc

“If someone is in Connecticut and can’t abide by the quarantine restrictions Vermont has in place, we do have Hunter Mountain in New York and several ski resorts in New Hampshire,” he said.
Even if they live an hour from Mount Snow in VT which is under quarantine restriction, whilst Hunter and Sunapee are both further away? (not to mention both are considerably smaller than Mount Snow)

How about some mountains in Indiana that's not restricted? Should that count as a justification for not providing a refund?

That's a really poor response.

That said, here's a completely opposite anecdotic data point:

After waiting for about an hour on music, I was able to talk to a Vail customer representative. I had several questions, which she answered. One of which was whether travel restriction will be covered by Epic's insurance policy. I was told it will be covered.

I pressed further, pointing out the terms and condition only explicitly list resort closure, not travel restriction for cross state travel. Her reply? "Epic Assurance was designed for situations where the pass holder can't get to the mountain". She further suggests it would be covered under the "Personal" clause, more specifically, the "stay-at-home" clause.

I had sent an e-mail to see if I get that same response in writing. But haven't gotten any reply yet.

If I get a response that it's indeed COVERED in Epic Assurance, it'll strongly motivating me to get a pass.

KustyTheKlown

i dont know if funny is the word, but its something something to me that the mad river valley is a darker color than nyc on this covid map:

1606148188329.png

cdskier

i dont know if funny is the word, but its something something to me that the mad river valley is a darker color than nyc on this covid map:

View attachment 42617
A bit misleading because the MRV is in the same county as larger cities like Montpelier and Barre. Barre in particular has had the 2nd most cases in the state. Warren has had 8 total cases. Waitsfield has had 9. Fayston 0.

abc

A bit misleading because the MRV is in the same county as larger cities like Montpelier and Barre. Barre in particular has had the 2nd most cases in the state. Warren has had 8 total cases. Waitsfield has had 9. Fayston 0.
No matter how you slice it, how can a small city like Barre have more cases/capital than a mega city like NYC?

cdskier

No matter how you slice it, how can a small city like Barre have more cases/capital than a mega city like NYC?
Simple...in a smaller city it doesn't take THAT many cases to get to a higher rate per capita.

Barre had 103 cases in the past week alone...which is about 1% of the population of that city. NYC meanwhile had 23K in the last 2 weeks, but that represents only .27% of the population in a city with 8.4M people.

gittist

This is on the Vermont ACCD webpage at https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel: "Travelers arriving to Vermont who have not completed a per-arrival quarantine..."

Has anyone seen any other official mention of a per-arrival quarantine? It seems to me that by the wording one could stay home in accordance with the Vermont guidelines and forgo the in state quarantine. I'm sure I'm wrong since 2+2 is rarely 4 when it comes to what people really mean.

cdskier

This is on the Vermont ACCD webpage at https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel: "Travelers arriving to Vermont who have not completed a per-arrival quarantine..."

Has anyone seen any other official mention of a per-arrival quarantine? It seems to me that by the wording one could stay home in accordance with the Vermont guidelines and forgo the in state quarantine. I'm sure I'm wrong since 2+2 is rarely 4 when it comes to what people really mean.

Yes, that is exactly what it means. VT has allowed you to quarantine at home before coming to VT to satisfy their COVID requirements for quite a while as long as you're within driving distance and use your own private car.

KustyTheKlown

tenor.gif

gittist

Thanks
Yes, that is exactly what it means. VT has allowed you to quarantine at home before coming to VT to satisfy their COVID requirements for quite a while as long as you're within driving distance and use your own private car.
Thank you

Zermatt

Pre-arrival not per arrival.

Also, even under quarantine (at least in CT) you are allowed to go out and buy food and medicine and go exercise outside as long as you stay 6' away from other people.

Which means, most people are already doing a pre-arrival quarantine and you have plasuible deniability that you have met this requirement.

KustyTheKlown

^if you work from home and so does everyone else in your household, it's not that difficult to abide by the letter of the rules, and downright easy to abide by the spirit of them. the only thing in my regular routine that is perhaps quarantine breaking is grocery shopping in person. everything else is just working from home and walks in my neighborhood and parks

i try to support my local restaurants, brewers, etc with take out and delivery business. i haven't felt very compelled to eat out in person, even outside.

kbroderick

Pre-arrival not per arrival.

Also, even under quarantine (at least in CT) you are allowed to go out and buy food and medicine and go exercise outside as long as you stay 6' away from other people.

Which means, most people are already doing a pre-arrival quarantine and you have plasuible deniability that you have met this requirement.
The Vermont rules do not have an exemption for essential shopping or medical visits during the quarantine period. Going outside is "okay as long as you are completely alone."

See also https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites...rt-observation-isolation-quarantine_final.pdf

KustyTheKlown

ya that was my understanding, which is why my grocery shopping is a technical violation. I'll pivot to delivery groceries for the winter, no sweat. or I'll get my groceries for each two week period while leaving vermont :)

nhskier1969

So coming from NH if I have "please stay back i'm quarantining" bumper sticker I should be fine.

Brewbeer

You can definitely catch cancer from other people. We know this. This isnt 1834.

((((said in Chevy Chase voice)))) This isnt 1834 is it?
It being physically possible doesn't mean it's likely or even probable, and it definitely isn't contagious like covid.

Grandma doesn't need to worry that she'll get cancer because her housekeeper went skiing.