• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most deceptive snow reports

granite

They are not as bad a local TV news weather reports. The will make it sound like you'll die if you going skiing from low temperatures and, more and more, wind chill factors.

medfordmike

753720AF-3487-4EA7-8E44-A70ABB857D60.jpg
ED69AFB7-1FD5-441D-B886-61850753253E.jpg

This was at Heavenly. They did open up almost everything later. 30 minutes before half the lifts showed open and several close, some on hold the stat was still 26/28. It was windy. The day before most of the lifts around Tamarack where closed all day for wind but the percentage of terrain and lifts never changed through out the day. They did update the lift list but as well all know Vail favors % open, acreage etc over any kind of descriptive text.

zyk

Plattekill reporting “awesome conditions” again today. I guess it must get pretty bad because yesterday was awful by my standards. Maybe this is awesome for them but not me.

Years back when I skied Plattekill a lot I quickly realized "natural cover" or nc on the report meant dirt, grass, and rocks. It was fine for me as I knew what to expect.

skiberg

It’s not just the deception of Cannon, it’s that insane exuberance about a couple inches of snow. Skiing Cannon is like eating a McDonalds hamburger your whole life. Then the first time you have a burger from Wendy’s you think it’s epic.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

It’s not just the deception of Cannon, it’s that insane exuberance about a couple inches of snow. Skiing Cannon is like eating a McDonalds hamburger your whole life. Then the first time you have a burger from Wendy’s you think it’s epic.

I have never been one to listen to what any ski area says or what any politician says. Cannon conditions are not any different then most NE ski area. They can be great or they can suck. The terrain and vibe is what draws we there. Like with any mountain the more you ski you find the special places and know where to ski and where not to in certain conditions.

tumbler

i have to say that since this thread started i have noticed a difference on SB's snow report more accurately describing conditions and setting expectations.

ne_skier

As someone who skied Camelback PA for 4 years, their snow reports are just downright wrong. Their high trail count is only thanks to tiny little connector trails as well as splitting runs in half, top and bottom. As for lifts, they go into as far detail as to put what times the lifts will open and close (they do so to target peak times), and some of the lifts that are scheduled just don't open, and you're stuck waiting in line even though there's more than enough lifts on the mountain to accommodate the high number of people.

skiur

Apparently Killington is up to 27" of snow this season already

Nothing deceptive about that. Killingtons elevation gives them a lot more snow than other places, especially early season. I would say that 20 of those inches have melted though.

drjeff

I'd like to say that Vail Resorts are quite deceptive, however that would mean that this year, now roughly 24 hrs until the 1st chairs of the season spin at Stowe, Okemo, Mount Snow and Hunter, that they would of actually updated their snow report section of their webpage with even something as simple as "planned opening on Wednesday November 25th" :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

djd66

In the past (pre Altera) Sugarbush has consistently under reported snowfall. Not sure why or if they got less snow than fell at my place (1700’) and MRG,... but it always seems to be less snow than actually fell.

Kevin Schultz

I'd like to say that Vail Resorts are quite deceptive, however that would mean that this year, now roughly 24 hrs until the 1st chairs of the season spin at Stowe, Okemo, Mount Snow and Hunter, that they would of actually updated their snow report section of their webpage with even something as simple as "planned opening on Wednesday November 25th" :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Pretty incredible, just complete radio silence up until maybe an hour ago when they listed trails / lifts for opening day tomorrow. Considering it was raining in Wilmington VT yesterday morning I was expecting at least a little bit of an update on whether they thought would still be able to make their planned opening day. Instead the snow report (still) just said "Snow & weather commentary updates coming soon." In the past there were photos of actual snowmaking, continuous communication, etc. I'm not a reflexive Vail hater but they really sucked the fun out of the anticipation of the season. I almost never even go on opening day but this year I had reservations for Thanksgiving weekend and I actually canceled them given the lack of certainty about what would even be open this week (among other things).

icecoast1

Apparantly they're expecting you to go to twitter for accurate up to date info on mount snow :LOL:

1dog

In the past (pre Altera) Sugarbush has consistently under reported snowfall. Not sure why or if they got less snow than fell at my place (1700’) and MRG,... but it always seems to be less snow than actually fell.
SHHHHHH. . . its always worse in Mad River Valley, best head north or south.

True though, very conservative and sometimes even not reporting any new when there was new. OK with those of us who call it home.

nhskier1969

I like it when Resorts count the snowfall at the very top of the mtn for their snowfall report. I don't know about you but I don't just ski the top 200 vertical feet of a mountian. Resorts should make it common practice to report snowfall totals at the top, middle and bottom. This would give you a more accurate snow report based on the part of the mtn you are skiing. Sugarbush is the only resort that will give you top and middle snowfall amounts but the seasonal average is from the top.
Lastly, resorts shouldn't count snowfall at the begining of the year unless its adds to their base.