• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Praises for the EPIC pass reservation system

chuckstah

The system worked well today. Not much of a wait. Only problem is there are still no NH opening dates. No communication. You have to go in to see if anything is available. And it is not for next week.

thebigo

The fact that half their northeastern properties are located in NH and those happen to be the only areas not open is absurd. On top of that we get no communication, they actually expect us to sit around for hours in their epic waiting room trying to determine when they will open. I would like to say I am willing to boycott but they simply own too large a piece of NH skiing. The only viable alternative in the MWV is the white mountain super pass but bretton woods sucks. I would put the attitash/wildcat combo, with everything else the valley offers, up against anything in New england if they only had a competent operator.

Vail cannot go out of business fast enough. Peaks was a significantly better operator, orders of magnitude.

snoseek

The fact that half their northeastern properties are located in NH and those happen to be the only areas not open is absurd. On top of that we get no communication, they actually expect us to sit around for hours in their epic waiting room trying to determine when they will open. I would like to say I am willing to boycott but they simply own too large a piece of NH skiing. The only viable alternative in the MWV is the white mountain super pass but bretton woods sucks. I would put the attitash/wildcat combo, with everything else the valley offers, up against anything in New england if they only had a competent operator.

Vail cannot go out of business fast enough. Peaks was a significantly better operator, orders of magnitude.
They are going to really need to get their nh properties up to par but I know they wont. Attitash needs lifts and wildcat needs better snowmaking. Everyone assumes they will buy up their area and dump money into it but that's not the case. Kirkwood is a good example.

They will build up sunapee as it's easy roi while mwv areas decay. Peaks was guilty of that too.

drjeff

Found out when they scan your Epic pass on your birthday that instead of the normal beeping pattern, the scanner plays the first few notes of The Beatles "Today its your birthday" song.

People without reservations, and who can't read the prominently displayed signage, are going to be a bit of an issue at times especially through probably the Christmas Week/MLK weekend time-frame during which the masses of non regular skiers/riders show up for their first turns of the season

tnt1234

Very easy, worked as advertised.

Got into the virtual queue when it opened at 9AM EST, was let into the "reservation area" at 10 when it opened, at which time I was about 10000 in line in the virtual queue. Took about 25 minutes until I got the email letting me make reservations. Reserved the 7 days for my entire family we wanted in less than 3 minutes, Reservation confirmation received via email less than a minute later.

While the fact we have to have a system is an entirely different topic, how my experience went this morning, given the large volume of Epic passholders out there, was very smooth. Kudos to Vail resorts and their IT crew for making this easy and efficient
What if you don’t have a job or life situation that allows you to stay in front of a computer? Thinking about a carpenter friend of mine.

thebigo

They are going to really need to get their nh properties up to par but I know they wont. Attitash needs lifts and wildcat needs better snowmaking. Everyone assumes they will buy up their area and dump money into it but that's not the case. Kirkwood is a good example.

They will build up sunapee as it's easy roi while mwv areas decay. Peaks was guilty of that too.
Peaks did not build a single new lift in NH their entire ownership and I was okay with that. Attitash needs one lift and that is it. Wildcat needs drinkable water and crotched needs the long debated green trail off the top.

I suspect the lynx has ample coverage to open. Best guess is that vail is scared to offer a single trail in NH to their legions of passholders. If correct, this shows a serious lack of understanding. The overall quality of skier at wildcat is second to none in the east, the early season skier even better. We show up for a half dozen hard fast runs and then head home, we distance and as much as we would like to congregate in the bar, we comprehend a pandemic.

snoseek

Peaks did not build a single new lift in NH their entire ownership and I was okay with that. Attitash needs one lift and that is it. Wildcat needs drinkable water and crotched needs the long debated green trail off the top.

I suspect the lynx has ample coverage to open. Best guess is that vail is scared to offer a single trail in NH to their legions of passholders. If correct, this shows a serious lack of understanding. The overall quality of skier at wildcat is second to none in the east, the early season skier even better. We show up for a half dozen hard fast runs and then head home, we distance and as much as we would like to congregate in the bar, we comprehend a pandemic.
Maybe they let the weekend pass and open sometime midweek if weather doesnt completely go to shit

thebigo

Maybe they let the weekend pass and open sometime midweek if weather doesnt completely go to shit
Your lips to Gods ear. Picked up a folding table, propane heater, hibachi and chairs. Hopefully we can share a few moat growlers in the wildcat lot this year.

2Planker

Not looking good for a Snowmaking window @ The Cat...

Maybe next week, Weds/Thurs nights but even that's sketchy w/ daytime temps near 40.

Glenn

This is going to pretty much ruin the experience. But in the grand scope of things..whatever.
Yes we use skiing as an escape from insanity..and now its becoming insanity.
Hopefully the world returns to normal after a year. I just keep thinking about how it must have been in Europe when ww2 was going on..This is pretty tame compared. Yet, still a big cause of anxiety. Usually I'm bouncing up and down this time of year ..waiting for it to begin..not so much now. We shall see

Sums is up nicely. My wife and I are usually really looking forward to getting out on the hill this weekend. This year, not so much. We've even said that if things don't improve, we'll just roll the passes to next year.

I'm hoping things settle down a bit with the travel restrictions, resorts hit their stride and things are kinda 'normal' at the mountains. But if it's going to involve reservations, and a bunch of hoops to jump through...pass.

kingslug

I'll see how it goes next thursday and friday..I need to get out of the house and while playing platform tennis is ok..its not skiing. Looking at Hunters webcam..not much going on there..

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I skied Hunter today (first day of the season for me) 5 runs and done! Conditions were more like end of May. They just have the main run open now, because the Belt has turned into brown mush by the weather up here! i will say that they DID put up a valiant effort considering the damn weather! But now I doubt if they can stay open Sunday-Tuesday next week though. As for operations, they have a system in place, like Mtn Jam/Country Fest. There is only ONE way to the lifts and it's by way of the main entrance. The whole base area is fenced in. Lodge is for food and by reservation only using an app called TOCK. Boot-up at your car.
They also changed the way you load on the six, it's better now, no more "squeeze" for the person on the extreme left.

IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!

ski&soccermom

Found out when they scan your Epic pass on your birthday that instead of the normal beeping pattern, the scanner plays the first few notes of The Beatles "Today its your birthday" song.

People without reservations, and who can't read the prominently displayed signage, are going to be a bit of an issue at times especially through probably the Christmas Week/MLK weekend time-frame during which the masses of non regular skiers/riders show up for their first turns of the season
That is cute - hope you had a nice birthday! And yes, my kids saw someone turned away who didn't have reservations. I think they did a great job at Mt Snow this week.

drjeff

So this below was posted up on Okemo's social media feeds earlier this evening

"As we get ready to transition into the core season, pass holders can now book week-of reservations daily for the following seven days. A new day will be available for week-of reservations at 2 a.m. ET each morning instead of a once-a-week release. Please only reserve days you plan to ski and ride to give other pass holders an opportunity to enjoy the mountains."

Guessing this will be the policy for all Epic resorts soon...