• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

zoomzoom

"If an inspector comes here and sees non compliance...."

just wondering who the inspector is. you mean the state ski-lift inspector, or some other entity? mask/physical distancing compliance in vt is on the honor system, not sure about other new england states.

kbroderick

just wondering who the inspector is. you mean the state ski-lift inspector, or some other entity? mask/physical distancing compliance in vt is on the honor system, not sure about other new england states.
Health inspectors. If you want to read about the enforcement mechanisms as applied to businesses, read up on the Sunday River Brewing Co saga. I haven't heard of any enforcement against individuals on masking / social distancing, just third-hand reports of travel-restriction enforcement that I haven't been able to verify. I do expect that the state is well aware of how many people Sunday River and Sugarloaf usually draw and that there will be close attention paid as a result.

Overall, what I saw of liftline management was pretty good, including reminding people to put their masks up and asking singles if they were willing to ride two per quad (but not pressuring at all).

HowieT2

take this fwiw from me being something of an optimist, but the case numbers in the midwest and plains states are definitively coming down. The numbers in the northeast in general aren't going up the way they were a few weeks ago. And Vermont's numbers are starting to decline.

KustyTheKlown

it did look like the northeast was beginning to flatten the newest curve, but i suspect thanksgiving will fuck that right in its butt.

Andrew B.

Skied the River every day they were open until today. Had my wife and son get nicely reminded to pull masks up. I had warned them both previously, smarten up.

Had a patroller thanking me for pulling mine up before getting in the lift maze at Spruce. That’s my que now, always stop before the maze and pull it up. No more cruising in and directly on a chair like last year or hopefully next year. It’s (hopefully) only this years issue.

I did have a single come up and expect to ride Barker with me. I let him go alone.

I didn’t see too much lawlessness for what I hade sort of expected. Never saw an employee so much as pull their mask down once.

I saw one guy grumble “bullsh!t” after being reminded. Other than that the vibe seemed great.

The snow was awesome!

tumbler

it did look like the northeast was beginning to flatten the newest curve, but i suspect thanksgiving will fuck that right in its butt.
Unfortunately I think you are correct. Vermont not going to loosen their regs until full vaccine distribution.

KustyTheKlown

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Vermont not going to loosen their regs until full vaccine distribution.

i just hope they don't tighten the regs and/or halt ski ops. starting Tuesday night the storm door is actually open. got multiple weather sources pointing towards a pattern shift and the potential for something sorta big late next weekend. this sets me up beautifully for a December 9 arrival in the valley.

also, an aside. I'll take social distancing thanksgiving for the rest of time. spending the day with only my girlfriend and our cat in our apartment, drinking other half IPAs, chain smoking bowls, while watching the last waltz and old grateful dead videos, and eating delicious locally catered food instead of cooking, beats absolutely everything about having to sit in traffic to make awkward small talk with trumpy uncles who are obsessed with watching 20 year old boys wrassle over an oblong ball

jimmywilson69

i just hope they don't tighten the regs and/or halt ski ops. starting Tuesday night the storm door is actually open. got multiple weather sources pointing towards a pattern shift and the potential for something sorta big late next weekend. this sets me up beautifully for a December 9 arrival in the valley.

also, an aside. I'll take social distancing thanksgiving for the rest of time. spending the day with only my girlfriend and our cat in our apartment, drinking other half IPAs, chain smoking bowls, while watching the last waltz and old grateful dead videos, and eating delicious locally catered food instead of cooking, beats absolutely everything about having to sit in traffic to make awkward small talk with trumpy uncles who are obsessed with watching 20 year old boys wrassle over an oblong ball
the only thing missing from that post is a trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joes

LOL

J/K

We too enjoyed a nice low key Turkey Day. We did Cook and had drinks. I even had some Other Half ;)

zyk

To your aside I agree. Neon on tap, Cooked for wife, son and all the dogs. Will probably make this a new tradition.

2Planker

It's Dept. of Public Health inspecting ski resorts in Maine, NH, MA & VT.
YES they have full authority to shut it down completely, even on the spot if they see something they don't like......

tumbler

It's Dept. of Public Health inspecting ski resorts in Maine, NH, MA & VT.
YES they have full authority to shut it down completely, even on the spot if they see something they don't like......
I think this will be the MO in VT to potentially shut down the areas. When they show up and the parking lot is filled with out of state plates, that will probably be enough for them to shut it down. I don't think Scott cares whether the ski areas operate or not.

Can a state totally ban people from coming in from another state(s)?

MidnightJester

I would say having extra snow and ice that covers some License plates more then others might be a proactive step some might make to avoid extra eyes staring while parked in hotel and store parking lots.

Dickc

Someone could make a killing selling cardboard covers with a fake plate matching the state you are parked in..... Just saying. :devilish:

icecoast1

Can a state totally ban people from coming in from another state(s)?

Not really, unless the governors try to give themselves special powers through the state of emergency. New York threatened to sue Rhode Island when they were trying to do that back in the spring. Regulation of interstate commerce is up to the federal government

kbroderick

Not really, unless the governors try to give themselves special powers through the state of emergency. New York threatened to sue Rhode Island when they were trying to do that back in the spring
Even with emergency powers, closing interstate travel would have to pass a pretty damn high bar for constitutional muster.

Now, regulating what people do in your state after coming in from another state (e.g. requiring a 14-day quarantine without contact with any other humans) is much more likely to pass constitutional muster, particularly when it applies as Vermont's guidelines do to both visitors and returning residents.