• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ducky

New snow report:
The weather has continued to remain uncooperative with getting the necessary terrain needed to open. With the recent warm temps, we haven't had the opportunity to properly cover lower mountain terrain. Knowing that, we have once again been forced to push our Opening Day at Lincoln Peak into the middle of next week. Based on the forecasts, December 10th seems most likely, but we will continue to update the snow report as things become clearer. Mt. Ellen tentatively remains on track for an opening on Friday, December 18th.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We probably had 2" of rain yesterday. I can still see white trails up there, however.
Machine made snow is incredibly durable due to its density. That said, 2" of rain doesn't help the cause.

I'm not sure which is worse--heavy rains and warm temps or warm and dry temps as we are having out here. Our drought continues.....

cdskier

This could be one of the latest opening days in a long time. Granted if it wasn't COVID they could be open with just the top of the mountain, so it isn't exactly a like for like comparison with other late opening years.

ducky

They are in no rush to ope
New covid rules by Gov Scott's Executive order today: You can quarantine for 14 days and come to VT to ski ..but you cannot interact with other families or have cross-family gatherings. This means your relatives and friends cannot quarantine then visit you for the holidays but they can come and ski without seeing you. It is rather confusing. The push comes as daily infections continue to come more from casual social gathering. I listened to the deputy health secretary and even she seemed to be not 100% informed. This also means no airbnb or ski house sharing, etc.

Here's the new brief as of today:
  • The State of Vermont has suspended all social gatherings between multiple households. While in Vermont, you may not participate in social gatherings, this includes sharing an accommodation with another household outside of your own. Travelers may not stay with a Vermont host or stay in a Vermont lodging establishment or short-term rental with another household. Even if you have completed a quarantine, or intend to quarantine with another household, you may not gather with another household in Vermont. (Individuals who live alone may gather with members of their immediate family residing in a different household).

mikec142

What's the dining story in VT? Is there indoor dining? Are there places that are doing outdoor dining with heaters (and doing it well)?

1dog

What's the dining story in VT? Is there indoor dining? Are there places that are doing outdoor dining with heaters (and doing it well)?
Thats a question that probably can't get a correct ( state-wide) answer. In MA, 37 % of all small businesses are shuttered - but you won't hear that on the news feeds - its amazing the black out of objective news.

If they are limiting travel to VT, I imagine its not doing too well. Kind of cold to eat outdoors after tonight.

Last time I read it, the contact tracing in NY metropolitan area had less than 2% of cases traced to dining establishments. No matter.

I've been twice in past month- only dining in Killington Lodge - 30 minute time limit- 8 or so table of 4 max in a room that holds maybe 10X that number of tables. Staff there were very courteous. Ditto for lifties.

Blurski

The weather has continued to remain uncooperative with getting the necessary terrain needed to open. With the recent warm temps, we haven't had the opportunity to properly cover lower mountain terrain. Knowing that, we have once again been forced to push our Opening Day at Lincoln Peak into the middle of next week. Based on the forecasts, December 10th seems most likely, but we will continue to update the snow report as things become clearer. Mt. Ellen tentatively remains on track for an opening on Friday, December 18th.

thetrailboss

Staff member
New covid rules by Gov Scott's Executive order today: You can quarantine for 14 days and come to VT to ski ..but you cannot interact with other families or have cross-family gatherings. This means your relatives and friends cannot quarantine then visit you for the holidays but they can come and ski without seeing you. It is rather confusing. The push comes as daily infections continue to come more from casual social gathering. I listened to the deputy health secretary and even she seemed to be not 100% informed. This also means no airbnb or ski house sharing, etc.

Here's the new brief as of today:
  • The State of Vermont has suspended all social gatherings between multiple households. While in Vermont, you may not participate in social gatherings, this includes sharing an accommodation with another household outside of your own. Travelers may not stay with a Vermont host or stay in a Vermont lodging establishment or short-term rental with another household. Even if you have completed a quarantine, or intend to quarantine with another household, you may not gather with another household in Vermont. (Individuals who live alone may gather with members of their immediate family residing in a different household).
So if one comes to Vermont to ski, does one have to quarantine? I’m confused.

KustyTheKlown

you can quarantine prior to your visit to the state or once you arrive, but you cant visit with people once you are in the state. so something like going to stay with your friends at their ski house is against the rules. going to an airbnb or a hotel with just your household is fine. that's how i read it.

CastlerockMRV

A significant number of establishments have been converted to / continue to be take out only (Taco, Flatbread, Stoke Ramen, Lawson’s to name a few.)

Hyde Away, Peasant, Worthy, Toast and Eggs, and the Hostel are all open for indoor dining but capacity has been heavily reduced. Most places had heaters / tents too but I don’t know who or if anyone is planning on keeping that going thru winter. The hostel and Hyde Away both took their tents down a few weeks ago.

It’s been a couple of weeks since we last went out to eat but have been to almost all of the names mentioned above at some point in the last couple months. Everyone’s done a bang up job dealing with the shitty hand they’ve been dealt, safety-wise. Just hope there’s enough folks able to patronize to help them do well enough money-wise. Especially knowing a second round of small biz assistance funding won’t be coming until Jan/Feb most likely.

djd66

Did anyone listen to the zoom call last night? (It was put on by the MRV Chamber of Commerce.) it was an informational zoom on what to expect. Jon Hammond and MRG General Manager were going to take questions. They opened it up to everyone- but only had 100 seats available,... apparently they did not want to pay the extra $5.00 for an unlimited number of seats. WTF? Anyway, would be curious if there was any new information.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It was also available to watch via youtube live and you can watch the recording;

And yes, the MRV chamber could use a lesson on Zoom meetings and how to effectively set them up and run them.

KustyTheKlown

years ago i had a professional connection with hammond's wife, who is an attorney in Burlington (or at least was at the time). then one day i rode heavens gate with Hammond and put 2+2 together. nice people. glad he got the nod to step up into his role.

djd66

It was also available to watch via youtube live and you can watch the recording;

And yes, the MRV chamber could use a lesson on Zoom meetings and how to effectively set them up and run them.
Thanks,... just watched the Sugarbush part,... no surprises - sounds like it will be a complete shit show. Outside of powder days - I am really questioning if it will even be enjoyable to be at the mountain.

KustyTheKlown

i'm fairly resigned to using my ikon for a lot of mid-week early season skiing this month, and then retreating to mostly indy and magic. I've also thought about doing some a la carte skiing all the way up at saddleback. that may be the best terrain to crowds situation going this season. sweet 9 hour drive.

1dog

And CDC just announced they suggest ( or demand?) a quarantine be reduced to 10 days from 14. Some suggest 7 days.

The theme? Constantly moving the goal posts - at least in this they are consistent.

HowieT2

Thanks,... just watched the Sugarbush part,... no surprises - sounds like it will be a complete shit show. Outside of powder days - I am really questioning if it will even be enjoyable to be at the mountain.
I dont want to watch an hour of this, can you summarize? What's the "complete shit show"?