• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

EPB

Yup...Sarah is convinced that resorts shouldn't open at all this year and was continually asking Sugarbush and MRG's GMs how they could possibly justify opening this year and "inviting outsiders to VT".
Sounds like she believes in science.

nhskier1969

Not knowing the answer to that seems to be the entire problem.
I don't think anyone knows the answer to the actual infection rate. Attached is an older article from the spring. They tested 397 people at the Pine Street inn homeless shelter, 146 came back positive, all were asymptomatic. Granted this is an older article maybe they didn't do the test right but I thought I would share the article.

MidnightJester

Sounds like she believes in science.
Sounds like Sarah could use a friendly visiting boarder knocking on her door asking for directions to the Mountain Resort of choice for the best snow conditions. Wearing winter Baclava of course. Maybe a scarf wrapped around face and neck if its Blizzarding. If she feeling friendly maybe a ride to the Mountain too. Help save on parking spots and the planet.

Best snow hunting to all this year. See you on the mountain hopfully.

EPB

Sounds like Sarah could use a friendly visiting boarder knocking on her door asking for directions to the Mountain Resort of choice for the best snow conditions. Wearing winter Baclava of course. Maybe a scarf wrapped around face and neck if its Blizzarding. If she feeling friendly maybe a ride to the Mountain too. Help save on parking spots and the planet.

Best snow hunting to all this year. See you on the mountain hopfully.
Haha!

Kidding aside, if we behave courteously around others in the lift lines (which I presume will be pretty spread out to begin with) and elsewhere, I really don't think anyone should have guilty conscience about visiting "someone else's" home town to go skiing. Hopefully, Sarah will realize she just needs to do her grocery shopping midweek and avoid unnecessary trips to the store like the rest of us have been doing since March anyway.

gittist

Haha!

Kidding aside, if we behave courteously around others in the lift lines (which I presume will be pretty spread out to begin with) and elsewhere, I really don't think anyone should have guilty conscience about visiting "someone else's" home town to go skiing. Hopefully, Sarah will realize she just needs to do her grocery shopping midweek and avoid unnecessary trips to the store like the rest of us have been doing since March anyway.
Yup...Sarah is convinced that resorts shouldn't open at all this year and was continually asking Sugarbush and MRG's GMs how they could possibly justify opening this year and "inviting outsiders to VT".

Nah....she just wants to have the entire place to her self.

icecoast1

Haha!

Very true. Although the mistake you made was expecting people like that to think rationally

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I don’t personally know a single person who’s having a good time right now. What‘s your basis for this claim?
" Never let a crisis go to waste "
Pretty famous quote ,it's a shame that there are people out there whos first thought is how to benefit form others pain. You apparently don't think like that to your credit.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
OK I don't get it. I have a family member that travels from NY to FLA every weekend! Never has a problem. I also know of a couple guys that have been to Killington many times without a problem. My daughter just went on a trip with her friend from NJ to FLA by car and on her way back they went thru GA, TENN, WVA and PA, with out any problems.

Zermatt

OK I don't get it. I have a family member that travels from NY to FLA every weekend! Never has a problem. I also know of a couple guys that have been to Killington many times without a problem. My daughter just went on a trip with her friend from NJ to FLA by car and on her way back they went thru GA, TENN, WVA and PA, with out any problems.
What do you not get?

They are not following the state quarantine rules then. Simple.

abc

What don't you get?

They've been driving 80 mph all the way and never got stopped by police even once! ;)

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
What do you not get?

They are not following the state quarantine rules then. Simple.
I hear about all these rules, when you land at JFK you have to tell them who you are, what seat you were in, where your going to quarantine.....heck all ya gotta do is look them up to see what there airplane tix shows (round trip?) Nobody asks and if they do ask you can make stuff up, they don't check! VT does the same you give them BS, and your good. Stupid waste of resources, if nobody's going to enforce the rules.

skiur

I hear about all these rules, when you land at JFK you have to tell them who you are, what seat you were in, where your going to quarantine.....heck all ya gotta do is look them up to see what there airplane tix shows (round trip?) Nobody asks and if they do ask you can make stuff up, they don't check! VT does the same you give them BS, and your good. Stupid waste of resources, if nobody's going to enforce the rules.

That's because the rules are not enforceable. Look at Vermont. You can do your quarantine at home before coming to Vermont. They are taking people's word for it that they are complying. Anybody can just say they quarantined before getting to Vermont. What kind of enforcement do you want. We don't even know if these executive orders are even legal. They have not been challenged in court because there is not penalty for not complying. I think the state governors know that it would be ruled unconstitutional and that it why they are not enforcing it.

1dog

I don't think anyone knows the answer to the actual infection rate. Attached is an older article from the spring. They tested 397 people at the Pine Street inn homeless shelter, 146 came back positive, all were asymptomatic. Granted this is an older article maybe they didn't do the test right but I thought I would share the article.
To my peril, I'll venture to state these guys have a handle on fatality rate. Here is the quote from the article:
'But the bottom line is that the COVID fatality rate is in the neighborhood of 0.2 percent.' Here is the source ( Pretty strong credentials all, Stanford, Harvard, Oxford, etc.)

What caught my eye was the 130 million who could starve due to shutdowns. . . . . .
( Dated Oct 9 btw)

KustyTheKlown

its just about establishing some deterrence, there's no capacity or intention for enforcement, and it's working in deterring at least some people from travel

1dog

its just about establishing some deterrence, there's no capacity or intention for enforcement, and it's working in deterring at least some people from travel
Agree. As long as it is voluntary we are not (yet) 1930's Germany.

Slidebrook87

Right. It’s essentially Vermont’s way of discouraging out of staters as much as they can. To an extent it has worked, but people will still come. It will also work to make sure that people are being safe at home doing only essential activities so that they “quarantine” even though that may not match VT’s official definition.

KustyTheKlown

i didnt even realize until this morning that for me as a new yorker vermont is actually the easiest new england state, because the letter of the rules lets me quarantine at home. did not realize maine and nh had quarantines and that you need to perform it in state. not that any of that truly matters, but still interesting. i'm committed to a lodging situation near sugarbush, but i'd love to be able to just bop around new england for the next two weeks and go wherever, especially with today's storm putting a base down in eastern new england, but i will most likely stay put in Vermont and remain compliant.

Smellytele

i didnt even realize until this morning that for me as a new yorker vermont is actually the easiest new england state, because the letter of the rules lets me quarantine at home. did not realize maine and nh had quarantines and that you need to perform it in state. not that any of that truly matters, but still interesting. i'm committed to a lodging situation near sugarbush, but i'd love to be able to just bop around new england for the next two weeks and go wherever, especially with today's storm putting a base down in eastern new england, but i will most likely stay put in Vermont and remain compliant.
NH it is only suggested where in VT and ME it is supposed to be mandatory but...

abc

To my peril, I'll venture to state these guys have a handle on fatality rate. Here is the quote from the article:
'But the bottom line is that the COVID fatality rate is in the neighborhood of 0.2 percent.'
0.2% is pretty high when the infectious rate (R) is high. (Back in March, it's as high as 2,3 or more!)

There're right place to use absolute number and wrong place to use percentage...

The US looks horrible on Covid death NUMBER compare to other countries, even though we aren't that high on PERCENTAGE of death per million. Why? Because we're a big country and the population base number is big. So even we have smaller percentage of death per million population than say Belgium, we have more DEAD in total numbers. :(

People keep comparing COVID with flu which has a "similar" fatality rate in percentage. 2 things: the flu infection rate is also based on people sick enough to end up in hospital, so it too is higher than the actual fatality rate. But a lot more significant, flu isn't half as contagious as Covid. So even if the fatality rate is the same, Covid kills more AND kills a whole lot faster!

There's the saying "lies, damn lies, then there's statistics!" The people who wants to lock everything down are using the absolute death number because that paints the worst picture. And the people who don't want any restriction are using the fatality RATE percentage because it paints a much rosier picture. Both are damn lies hiding behind statistics purposedlly chosen to be misleading!

Puck it

Data from the CDC webpage for 12/2. 80% of deaths over 65 with over 60% in long term care. You should be screaming at the people responsible for running those homes
IMG_0666.JPG