• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

Jcb890

Just one last note - hats off to Bretton Woods - they’re following all the ridiculous protocols of course; but what I did not see once when we skied there on Sunday was anyone (employee or skier) making any remark to anyone about wearing a mask or how well they were wearing it. There were zero mask admonishments as far as I could tell. As should be the case.
People like you are why we can't have nice things and why this ski season has almost 0 chance of going the distance.

Los

And zero mask wearing too? ;)
I would say pretty much everyone was wearing a mask, including me and my kids. But there were lots of masks that were sort of on but not completely. And nobody freaked out about it or said anything about it, thank God. Maybe it was just good fortune on that particular afternoon, but there were no Ken's and Karen's scolding others about proper mask wearing (which is what I was expecting to encounter).

drjeff

Just one last note - hats off to Bretton Woods - they’re following all the ridiculous protocols of course; but what I did not see once when we skied there on Sunday was anyone (employee or skier) making any remark to anyone about wearing a mask or how well they were wearing it. There were zero mask admonishments as far as I could tell. As should be the case.

I think that New Hampshire ski resorts will benefit this season from not only having a Governor with direct family ties to the ski industry, but also having views about how his state should be run with respect to managing the Covid related health of its citizens, that is far less totalitarian than the Governors of most of the rest of the Northeast States that make up the ski industry

2Planker

I think that New Hampshire ski resorts will benefit this season from not only having a Governor with direct family ties to the ski industry, but also having views about how his state should be run with respect to managing the Covid related health of its citizens, that is far less totalitarian than the Governors of most of the rest of the Northeast States that make up the ski industry
NH - the "Live Free Or Die" State.

machski

My biggest concern about the whole mask thing does not have to do with whether or how well they work. It has to do with inspectors seeing non compliance and shutting down the resort.

I want Sunday River to stay open. I think we all know about the Sunday River Brew Pub in their very public feud with Governor Janet Mills. You can't fight city hall and that is just what they did and painted a big ole bulls eye on their back. There are less than half a dozen inspectors for the entire state, and the Pub has been visited multiple times. (No conspiracy theory there, just the facts).

So now, when the Brew pub is allowed to reopen, I'm gonna prophesize that inspectors will be frequent visitors to the Sunday River Brew Pub. Who doesn't believe this? When they are done "inspecting" the brew pub, they need to fill out their day. What large community gathering area will they visit next as low hanging fruit?

Again, I don't even want to get into the effacy of masks, I just want the mountain to stay open. If it means wearing masks and enforcing it is the line we have to hold, so be it. I know none of us liked the mountains all getting shut down last Spring.
While the Brew Pub is a large restaurant business in the area, I tend to think the State understands it is not tied to the resort. I also think the State understands the difference in revenue brought in between the Pub and the resort, the amount of jobs tied to each, etc. I don't see the resort taking added scrutiny from how the Pub owners have handled themselves. Plenty of other restaurant establishments in town to fill out an inspectors day.

abc

Very small droplets achieve suspension, and will move in air currents and eddies, and will move upward. Large droplets fall.
You completely missed the context. Or purposely skirted it even when reminded.

Outdoors, those "small droplets" will just go "up" sky high and get totally diluted in the open air

1dog

It's strange - do we fear government because it can take away our joy and love of winter, skiing, riding and outdoor activities? Or do we fear the disease? If we fear the disease - we stay in. If we fear government - that's a huge problem.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

I wear a mask and follow guidelines out of respect for others, and to comply to the point of ' this is temporary'. But boy, if the powers that be continue to make policy they don't follow themselves, or even try to, understand the damage to the greatest middle class in history, we are in much bigger trouble.

Smellytele

You completely missed the context. Or purposely skirted it even when reminded.

Outdoors, those "small droplets" will just go "up" sky high and get totally diluted in the open air
It was stated by someone in this thread that people sitting eating would not effect people walking by because their droplets would not go up but would go down. Not sure who that was and too lazy to look or care.

flakeydog

It was stated by someone in this thread that people sitting eating would not effect people walking by because their droplets would not go up but would go down. Not sure who that was and too lazy to look or care.
I believe the term you are looking for is "skyrocket downward" as stated by this country's leading Epidemiologist.

Puck it

I had one young liftie tell me to put it up as I was getting on the lift with know around aka ski on and he is standing by the shack/ controls.

2Planker

100% WRONG
Aerosolized droplets can go 10-15 feet w/ a cough or a sneeze

kingslug

Ever wonder if anyone (government) ever reads these forums? I do know that the NYC FDNY was monitoring an HVAC site to see if anyone was discussing the new license exam, the one I was teaching at the time. So..I wonder if the different NE states ever check out our little forums..for information about what is going on at the ski hills. This is why I will not be talking about infractions..or anything covid related. Sure fire way to get them shut down or at least inspected more frequently.
Also asking people who say they are going to Vermont if they quarantined, got tested? Not something to talk about on a public site at this time..just my opinion.

2Planker

Just like colleges checking social media to see if students are quarantining....
One NE school expelled many students based on what was visible on social media.

Also know of students who have been kicked out of Med/Dent school for posting Pt clinical photos on Social Media.
Not good, Big HIPPA violation. Fine can be in the Millions $$$$$$

Zermatt

My small town mayor in CT just implied that testing out from travel quarantine could be going away.