• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Smellytele

And if I got it right, his brother

Isn't his brother out in Big Sky now?
yes his brother Dan and he does seem to be out there in Big Sky. Not sure how long he has been out there but he has been hosting some WM movies here in NH for the last few years (obviously not this year) wonder if next year he will.

thetrailboss

Staff member
He was actually in this year's Warren Miller movie.
He was actually in this year's Warren Miller movie.
Really? I haven’t seen a WM movie in 2 years. We’ve boycotted them because of the terrible quality and over the top product placement.

KustyTheKlown

not that i am surprised at 10:50 AM on the first Saturday of the season, but the webcam shows quite the line at both bravo and valley house, and i don't even want to think about what heavens gate looks like. i may just take today off altogether and go for a drive or something.

cdskier

not that i am surprised at 10:50 AM on the first Saturday of the season, but the webcam shows quite the line at both bravo and valley house, and i don't even want to think about what heavens gate looks like. i may just take today off altogether and go for a drive or something.
Just looked at all the webcams...HG looks worse than the base for sure (and it is a slow lift so the lines won't move as quickly). Super Bravo doesn't look too bad considering how spaced out everyone is and how fast the lift is. The amount of skiers coming down Spring Fling however looks terrible. That's the problem with only 1 route to the base open...

KustyTheKlown

yea i just skied 20k vertical per day for the first 3 days of the season after 9 months off skis. my legs actually feel great, but i still think a rest day is fine considering the crowds, terrain options, and that i'm here for the next 8 consecutive days. biking this fall was a huge good idea.

Slidebrook87

HG is awful - line extends further uphill

Attachments

• F5C3F7B6-0B29-484F-8B23-ADEB7E4DA3C0.jpeg
    F5C3F7B6-0B29-484F-8B23-ADEB7E4DA3C0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64

cdskier

This is why I don't typically ski weekends early season even in a normal year...just not enough open terrain/lifts to spread people out and make it enjoyable.

cdskier

No lines at the base now on the webcams...HG is still pretty crowded though:
1607793942690.png

I always hear people stating that the length of skis helps people "naturally" social distance in lift lines. When everyone is standing sideways though, that argument pretty much goes right out the window...

JimG.

Staff member
Keep posting pictures like that and eventually someone with an authority complex may just shut your mountain down...or the whole state.

I guess it doesn't really matter since it's a webcam available to everyone. If they were serious about the virus there either:
1) wouldn't be a line like that or
2) would be a dark webcam.

Slidebrook87

No lines at the base now on the webcams...HG is still pretty crowded though:
View attachment 49667

I always hear people stating that the length of skis helps people "naturally" social distance in lift lines. When everyone is standing sideways though, that argument pretty much goes right out the window...
It’s honestly ridiculous. I had two guys without masks just crowd right next to me. Later a line manager told them to put their masks on and they said bullshit and skied away. There’s gotta be a bit more distancing and better mask compliance if people want to see this season last.

cdskier

Keep posting pictures like that and eventually someone with an authority complex may just shut your mountain down...or the whole state.

I guess it doesn't really matter since it's a webcam available to everyone. If they were serious about the virus there either:

I agree with number 1 and hope they're seeing the problems themselves (this is their first weekend day after all) and thinking of ways to address it...but I don't agree with the suggestion of covering up/hiding problems via suggestion #2.

Early season is tough with limited terrain/lift options. From a lift capacity standpoint overall, honestly right now SB has enough capacity for the number of people that appear to be on the mountain. The problem is the lower mountain lifts have excess capacity because a lot of people are choosing to instead use the 1 upper mountain lift (which is where most of your open terrain is...so it makes sense that's where people want to be). You have about triple the uphill capacity on the lower mountain with the 2 open lifts that you do on the upper mountain with the 1 lift open there. Yet downhill wise you have nearly the exact opposite with 3 distinct routes from the top and only 1 on the bottom.

People need to start taking this a little more seriously. I think the ski areas themselves are trying...but I really don't think enough of the people visiting and skiing are taking it seriously enough.

icecoast1

I'm surprised any ski area would have a webcam pointed at a lift this winter. No good could possibly come from that.

Powder Whore

Is anyone really shocked that there's a lift line at HG? Its Sat of opening weekend!!! I love how people complain about crowds. If you are at the mountain then you are part of the crowd you're complaining about. Kind of ironic.

Blurski

Been there the past 2 days, have not seen you know who on the front lines talking to people. Wonder why!