• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

NYDB

Meh... its outdoors with sun and wind. Not the problem. When we start seeing pics of crowded bars or condo parties with 40 people, then we'll be talkin.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Keep posting pictures like that and eventually someone with an authority complex may just shut your mountain down...or the whole state.

I guess it doesn't really matter since it's a webcam available to everyone. If they were serious about the virus there either:
1) wouldn't be a line like that or
2) would be a dark webcam.
Good point

skiur

Thats how K looked last Saturday. K was empty today. Must be the ikon effect.

Blurski

As far as making your car your base lodge, be nice if they would instruct the parking attendants to let you leave a little more room between cars, at least enough to fully open the car door. Friday I thought they were doing this but today he looked a little angry when I kept some space.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thats how K looked last Saturday. K was empty today. Must be the ikon effect.

FWIW Alterra's "unlimited" Utah resort, Solitude, had its first Saturday of the season. This morning they had maybe 3" of new snow--6 trails and three lifts. The traffic was backed up for miles and caused a massive problem. I wish I got a picture--for those familiar with the area, the traffic was from the mouth of BCC all the way back and onto 215. Two lines of it. Unreal. Of course Alterra will tell you it is not IKON.

keyser soze

People who have Ikon don't want to use up days at Killington of Alta/Snowbird on marginal conditions days, but they still want to get out so they go to the place with unlimited days. That was my plan if I made it up this weekend.

HowieT2

Mild day and then we get real good snow making temps the rest of the week. That and getting mt Ellen online friday will spread the crowds.

KustyTheKlown

They lost a ton of snow overnight and to call this current precip sleet would be charitable. Testing my new outerwear for waterproofing. This is what season passes are for. Skiing is a blessing, just keep telling myself that skiing is a blessibg

KustyTheKlown

Actually not so bad. Last post was after first run down ripcord, which was bad. They never groomed it out, people skied the snowmaking snow yesterday and now there’s bare spots and exposed bars and gloppy snow

However, organgrinder is wet but super slarvable and fun. And there’s no line at all at heavens gate as of 10 am. I will lap organgrinder for a few hours and recognize my immense privilege to be alive and skiing

and for the moment precip has stopped

nhskier1969

Mild day and then we get real good snow making temps the rest of the week. That and getting mt Ellen online friday will spread the crowds.
I don' think opening up Ellen is going to matter that much. The problem with the lift system as sugarbush is it is to tight to the base area. I don't know what they are going to do at Gatehouse quad corral there is no room at the corral for social distancing. The line will surely go past the magic carpet. Saturday at heaven gate was awful. If Sugarbush had downspout open top to bottom, you wouldn't be able to get thru the line at Heavens Gate to continue skiing.

KustyTheKlown

There’s no one here today and the snow is soft and fun. I’ve already skied 15k vert. Rain stopped. Glad I skipped yesterday

cdskier

I don' think opening up Ellen is going to matter that much. The problem with the lift system as sugarbush is it is to tight to the base area. I don't know what they are going to do at Gatehouse quad corral there is no room at the corral for social distancing. The line will surely go past the magic carpet. Saturday at heaven gate was awful. If Sugarbush had downspout open top to bottom, you wouldn't be able to get thru the line at Heavens Gate to continue skiing.

Yes, but don't forget they're supposedly limiting capacity to a "busy Friday". I can't really recall long GH lines on any busy Fridays that I've ever been there. Although I'm also curious to see how successful they are at limiting capacity simply by limiting the day ticket portion of skiers and eliminating discounts like the Quad packs. With there being more Ikon passholders than there ever were standalone SB passholders, it will be interesting to see whether the "no reservations needed for passholders" strategy works.

Tin

Good stuff krusty. Them having Organgrinder and Ripcord even open is better than anything else happening in the east.

nhskier1969

Wouldn't it elevate congestion at the base if they took bravos corral and had it go down towards the road next to clay brook and the building on the right side of the road?

Slidebrook87

The reality is, if they did have Downspout open to the base, the line for Heaven’s Gate probably wouldn’t have been as bad. Some of the people who were waiting in line weren’t doing so because they wanted to ski off the summit, but rather they had no other choice after skiing downspout.