• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

NYDB

Ice fishing?

I thought that was just an excuse to get drunk in a tiny house.

We ice boat at home when conditions permit. But its been too warm for the last 4 years or so.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I thought that was just an excuse to get drunk in a tiny house.

We ice boat at home when conditions permit. But its been too warm for the last 4 years or so.
Yeah lakes and reservoirs here don't often freeze over anymore.

I've never been an ice fisherman; I will wade in flowing trout streams for trout or salmon rarely. I guess skiing keeps me busy in winter.

nhskier1969

Only hope left at this point is that the heavy storms miss the ski areas some how. Maybe they'll slide too far east.
As long at Sugarloaf doesn't get it. Suppose to go up there New Years, weather forecast is showing 2-3 inches of rain. I do not remember skiing WROD over the holidays.

snoseek

Merry christmas it is in fact pissing hot rain! Looking outside we lost almost all of our snow here in southern nh. Mtb will be back on after a drain and freeze. Our future weather doesn't look great as well honestly.

Keelhauled

Looking at green fields and standing water in central VT. The Christmas thaw seems pretty routine in recent years, but this is worse than usual.

Zermatt

Pico just gave up for today. Webcams look horrible, everything left will freeze into solid water ice later today.

nhskier1969

Just looked at Strattons webcam. Its raining so hard it looks like it is snowing.

ScottySkis

"""Be careful out there everyone! Thinking of all the residents in the area and hope all will be ok...
"Upper Delaware River is about to breach the roadways of Rt 28 and Dry Brook.
The nearby town of Margaretville which has a history of flooding is now closed off by police""
😣😣
This is in west Catskills NY
By Platty

NYDB

Is there anywhere in the NE that didn't get totally screwed by this? Radar has looked awful last night and all day. Hope there isn't any serious flood damage anywhere.

And what a kick in the nuts for the ski areas.

MikeW

Pouring here at Mt Snow, did some laps in the pool. But yesterday, surprisingly enough, was very nice. Rode up the lift with my son at 9:00 in pea soup fog, which quickly lifted. Soft snow, did laps in the front and on Inferno, which was groomed but with no features. The sun even poked through a few times! Skiid till about 1:00, when wind gusts stopped the Bubble a few times. 20 minutes later it was raining. Glad to get those runs in before the deluge.