• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

Jersey Skier

How long will they wait to announce tomorrow's status? You can still buy a ticket online or reserve for tomorrow. If they know they are going to be closed they should announce this as early as possible so people can plan accordingly. Or, wait till 10 am and piss off more people.

Funky_Catskills

How long will they wait to announce tomorrow's status? You can still buy a ticket online or reserve for tomorrow. If they know they are going to be closed they should announce this as early as possible so people can plan accordingly. Or, wait till 10 am and piss off more people.

Maybe just maybe they needed some time to figure it all out. And maybe they tried to get people in place but didn't succeed...
Maybe they DID announce it as soon as possible. Which isn't fast enough for entitled skiers I reckon...

We are all figuring this shit out.. At least most of us are.

abc

Good question.

I wouldn't plan on going there this WEEK!

abc

We are. But Vail isn't trying too hard.

They should have posted the information a lot sooner. They wait till an hour AFTER the lift was supposed to be spinning to say they're not open, with no explanation.

It's almost 5pm. The last update on the website was before noon.

This is definitely a Vail trademark, ZERO COMMUNICATION!

BTW, people who showed up was "comp" a voucher for a day ticket. But if you're a pass holder, what are you supposed to do with that day ticket? Sell it???

Jersey Skier

Maybe just maybe they needed some time to figure it all out. And maybe they tried to get people in place but didn't succeed...
Maybe they DID announce it as soon as possible. Which isn't fast enough for entitled skiers I reckon...

I have no problem with today. But they know something needs to be announced for tomorrow.

Funky_Catskills

We are. But Vail isn't trying too hard.

They should have posted the information a lot sooner. They wait till an hour AFTER the lift was supposed to be spinning to say they're not open, with no explanation.

It's almost 5pm. The last update on the website was before noon.

This is definitely a Vail trademark, ZERO COMMUNICATION!

BTW, people who showed up was "comp" a voucher for a day ticket. But if you're a pass holder, what are you supposed to do with that day ticket? Sell it???
I'm a pass holder - I'd give it to someone.

chuckstah

Totally!
7 days, 1 down, 6 to go
Only if it's one of your 7 "priority days", booked by December 7th or thereabouts. That's how I read it anyway. If you picked Hunter as "home mountain" then certain percentage back will begin.

cdskier

It'll be cheaper than refunding everyone's season passes!
Not necessarily.

The refund formula due to resort closure events is rather complicated. First of all, only people that selected Hunter as their "Primary Resort" under Epic coverage are in-scope here (if you chose "All resorts", you're out of luck already as Hunter alone closing wouldn't meet the criteria for that coverage). Second...the closure needs to extend to 7 days (unless you happened to have one of the closure days reserved as a "priority" day. In that case even closures of less than 7 days would get you a tiny bit of a refund), 3rd, the refund is pro-rated based on a 118 day core season. So best case scenario you're getting a 6% refund if Hunter was closed a full 7 days AND you chose Hunter as your primary resort AND you don't use your Epic pass anywhere else during the days Hunter is closed.

abc

I'm a pass holder - I'd give it to someone.
That's not exactly a "comp" for people who drove an hour or more to get there. Even if their waste time can't be comp'ed, giving it away doesn't even cover the gas money/toll.

There's not a whole lot they can do for what happened today. But the lack of clarity is pretty glaring.

And that of communication is across the board (eastern seaboard, that is). To many, it's a glaring sign that Vail doesn't care about the eastern skiers access to their local mountain, only care to "feed" Vail's western destination mountains.

Funky_Catskills

That's not exactly a "comp" for people who drove an hour or more to get there. Even if their waste time can't be comp'ed, giving it away doesn't even cover the gas money/toll.

There's not a whole lot they can do for what happened today. But the lack of clarity is pretty glaring.

And that of communication is across the board (eastern seaboard, that is). To many, it's a glaring sign that Vail doesn't care about the eastern skiers access to their local mountain, only care to "feed" Vail's western destination mountains.
I'm a spoiled local... I bet some sort of refund happens with the pass - I got $$ from Vail after last season.

abc

The refund formula due to resort closure events is rather complicated.
There're multiple scenarios, which may look complicated. But each scenario isn't so complicated.

If you pick Hunter as your "primary" mountain, 7 days is all it takes for a full refund.

There's a caveat, it needs to be 7 consecutive days. So my prediction is come hell and high water, they'll re-open no later than next Monday.

cdskier

There're multiple scenarios, which may look complicated. But each scenario isn't so complicated.

If you pick Hunter as your "primary" mountain, 7 days is all it takes for a full refund.

There's a caveat, it needs to be 7 consecutive days. So my prediction is come hell and high water, they'll re-open no later than next Monday.

I think you need to re-read the Epic Coverage terms. Simply 7 consecutive days of a "Closure & Cancellation refund" related closure does NOT get you a full refund of a season pass unless those happened to be your "Priority Reservation" days (and you elected the coverage only for your Priority days instead of Core Season coverage).

abc

I'm a spoiled local... I bet some sort of refund happens with the pass - I got $$ from Vail after last season.
I got a credit from last year too, even though I used the pass plenty.

I suspect it's highly likely they'll again offer some credit next year. But I'm very unlikely to renew it next year.

I'm not a local, so not exactly a fan. Just an opportunist. I "rotate" among several of the mega passes. Hunter is one of the many mountain I'm interested in skiing under the Epic pass. It just also happens to be the closet, though still an hour and half one way.

Having said all that, or maybe because of I'm unlikely to renew next year, I still hope to use it at HUNTER this year. I much prefer to ski Hunter this year, than to get a refund and MAYBE ski Hunter next year.

da-bum

That doesn't even include people who planned on skiing multiple days and have already booked their places to stay nearby. I was just about to be one of those. Initially looking to ski tues/wed and stay overnight tues, but saw wed/thur looks like better weather and planned on those days. Given that its me, I didn't reserve or book a place to stay yet. Sometimes I get unlucky because rooms run out, but this time I was lucky to not have booked a room since nobody gives refunds on such short notice. Some might give credit if any one of us checking in have caught covid, but there is no mention of resort closure.

drjeff

Don't forget the other part, that you had to specify Hunter as your primary mountain, prior to the deadline, which I believe was the 1st week of December, for that clause to kick in.

Between the testing turn around time, and the likely guidance that the Dept of Public Health is likely giving Hunter about this, highly doubt that they'll hit the 7 consecutive days mark from this

abc

I think you need to re-read the Epic Coverage terms. Simply 7 consecutive days of a "Closure & Cancellation refund" related closure does NOT get you a full refund of a season pass unless those happened to be your "Priority Reservation" days (and you elected the coverage only for your Priority days instead of Core Season coverage).
You're confusing two different scenarios.

There's the "Priority Reservation", which is the 7 days you reserved. It doesn't need to be consecutive.

Then, there's the "Primary Mountain", which is just a single mountain. That's where the consecutive 7 days applies.