• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
pretty sure ski patrol is still volunteer her in PA. I'll see if I can find out. My buddies brother is a patroller and an orthodontist. He certainly isn't patrolling for the extra coin...
Yup ,at Camelback at least . All the hours they put in before the season and during amazes me that anyone would do the job as a volunteer!

cdskier

You're confusing two different scenarios.

There's the "Priority Reservation", which is the 7 days you reserved. It doesn't need to be consecutive.

Then, there's the "Primary Mountain", which is just a single mountain. That's where the consecutive 7 days applies.
I'm really not...

I could post the formula here, but let's go with the example straight out of the FAQ instead since it is pretty clear...

Example: If you select “Core Season” and choose Breckenridge as your primary resort, if Breckenridge is closed for 60 days of the 2020/21 season due to a qualifying resort closure(s) and you ski 3 days at Keystone while Breckenridge is closed, you would receive a refund of 8.0% (50.8% of season is closed minus 42.8% for additional days skied).

This example specifically used a "Primary Mountain" choice AND even had the primary mountain being closed for much longer than 7 days.

abc

Don't forget the other part, that you had to specify Hunter as your primary mountain, prior to the deadline, which I believe was the 1st week of December, for that clause to kick in.

Between the testing turn around time, and the likely guidance that the Dept of Public Health is likely giving Hunter about this, highly doubt that they'll hit the 7 consecutive days mark from this
December 7 I think. It was also extended to something like December 15 or so.

I have little doubt they'll open before the 7 day mark. In the worst case, they'll just open one lift and one trail next Monday. It doesn't take too many patrollers to patrol that. It would be sufficient to break the refund requirement.

The only way they'll close for 7 consecutive days is if the mountain got shut down by the state. Or we go into another full lockdown.

abc

I'm really not...

I could post the formula here, but let's go with the example straight out of the FAQ instead since it is pretty clear...

This example specifically used a "Primary Mountain" choice AND even had the primary mountain being closed for much longer than 7 days.

Don't just read the FAQ's. Read the Terms and Conditions!

Refund Eligibility. You may be eligible for a “Closure and Cancellation Refund” (or “C&C Refund”) if a Priority Reservation Cancellation Event or an Extended Resort Closure Event occurs.
  1. You elected a Primary Resort and the Primary Resort you selected is closed for seven (7) or more consecutive days during the Core Season due to a Resort Cl
It's really not that complicated.

cdskier

Don't just read the FAQ's. Read the Terms and Conditions!

It's really not that complicated.
You didn't read far enough apparently... You simply read the part about what triggers the refund eligibility. Now read the section on how the refunds are calculated. It is a little further down from what you quoted.

abc

You didn't read far enough apparently... You simply read the part about what triggers the refund eligibility. Now read the section on how the refunds are calculated. It is a little further down from what you quoted.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about what qualifies a refund. My bad.

sull1102

I think at this point it’s not about the patrollers getting sick - it’s Vails serious lack of communication in general this year, everywhere.

A fucking nuke could take out Hunter and they would send a standard press release 3 days later.

Completely agree. It's almost like they are trying to run everything out of one central office out west that is taking entirely too long to send out any information whatsoever about any number of issues.

abc

Completely agree. It's almost like they are trying to run everything out of one central office out west that is taking entirely too long to send out any information whatsoever about any number of issues.
Sounds just like the company I work for, which shall remain nameless. :)

Joking aside, this often happens. A company grows. What used to work for that size of company no longer works at twice the size. If the CEO doesn't realize it and change fast enough, he's going to end up with half of what he started with...

drjeff

I'm guessing that there's a bunch of back and forth between the employees involved at Hunter, probably to their supervisor and then to the GM who then is involved both with the Dept of Public Health as well as Vail's East Regional directory (who if I recall is out of Okemo) who then gets the various folks at a different level at the Colorado mothership involved, at which point there's probably been multiple new developments at the Hunter level between the respective folks at the mountain as well as the dept of public health (and that's making the assumption that the folks at the local dept of public health don't have to get guidance from their higher ups at the state level...)

So just on the communications between the various parties and management levels, this is a recipe for SLOW response time, and that's even before a finalized determination of how to handle it is made so that the Vail folks at the mothership can properly determine the wording to explain things to their employees and customers and the local community at large.

That probably sums a good percentage of the communications side of this up.

At the end of the day, regardless of what the entire story is, if people's health is involved, may everyone end up safe and healthy! That's more important than lifts not spinning or possible pass refunds

cdskier

Updated January 05, 2021 at 7:09 PM EST

Hunter Mountain will remain closed tomorrow, Jan. 6. The safety of our employees and guests is our top priority and we will always ensure that we have sufficient safety personnel available for mountain operations prior to opening. Unfortunately, this morning at Hunter Mountain, a number of ski patrollers excluded out of work relating to COVID-19 which is impacting today and tomorrow’s operations. We are assessing our ability to operate for the rest of this week and will provide updates on our social media channels and website tomorrow. We again apologize to our guests for any inconvenience.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Well....the whole industry watches what will happen over the next few days.

Either this will be a "blip" that people don't produce concern for, or we'll see another collapse of significant portions of the ski industry. I think the latter is not the plausible option but I can very well see a path to this route given it is NYS and Vail.

njdiver85

Great synopsis of what is going on at Hunter on the Northeast Skiology FB page. Bottom line . . . much of the issue is self-inflicted by Vail. They took away the traditional family perks that go along with being ski patrol, and treated the volunteer ski patrollers like second class citizens. As a result, they lost many ski patrol employees this year. Soooo . . . now they have no reserves to handle the loss of a handful of patrollers to a precautionary Covid quarantine. Vail sucks!