• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tailgate Scene

McFatt

So with all the limitations at the base lodge, what are you all doing for coffee break/lunch/mid day brews/apres brews? Anyone getting their tailgate game dialed in?
I was impressed with a few groups at the Bear Peak parking lot last week with the pop tents, grills, speakers, camp chairs, etc. Kinda reminded me of a Pats game/Grateful Dead Shakedown street vibe. I was solo, so just sat on my tailgate and swilled a cold one and ate a pbj, but it got me thinking of how to really maximize the truck basecamp model. Skiing is great and all, but I like to apres just as hard!

jimmywilson69

there is a strong tailgating game at my local hill Roundtop. Has always been this way. If Vail tries to kill it there will be a straight up mutiny.

Killingtime

I saw many outdoor concerts this summer by putting chairs in my pick-up bed and bringing drinks, food etc. Tried to do the same thing after a night session at Southington. It wasn't too bad. Good friends and a Fiddlehead IPA makes it worth it. From what I have seen so far many places have greatly expanded their outdoor seating and added firepits and/or heaters.

jimmywilson69

I will say this I always in a normal season I visit the bar a few times a year and usually buy a few beers from the courtyard bar on top of that as my Penance. :lol:

Edd

I’m a ski area barfly typically but I’ve been drinking beers in the lot on breaks. Also carrying a whiskey flask. It hasn’t been unpleasant and saving a ton of $. I’m eating a Clif bar on the drive to the hill and sometimes a light snack on the way home.

I’m also impressed with some of the tailgate cooking I’ve seen but that’s just never been my way. Too lazy.

jimk

Beer and PB&J?
LOL. I enjoy both of those, but usually not together:)
I like tailgating too and occasionally bring a grill for it, but this winter I'm not sure how things will go with friends, masks, and all the crap associated with covid.

skiur

Tailgating is great in the fall and spring and I do a ton of it, but when the temps get below 20 with brisk northwestern winds I prefer the bar. Will definitely be saving a good chunk of money since I'm not visiting bars and restaurants this season.

Smellytele

Tailgating is great in the fall and spring and I do a ton of it, but when the temps get below 20 with brisk northwestern winds I prefer the bar. Will definitely be saving a good chunk of money since I'm not visiting bars and restaurants this season.
Some ski areas do have their restaurants and bars open.

Newpylong

When I got back to my truck last weekend at Ragged there was a group inside a popup tent with a propane fireplace going. A little excessive, but whatever lol.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I’m a ski area barfly typically but I’ve been drinking beers in the lot on breaks. Also carrying a whiskey flask. It hasn’t been unpleasant and saving a ton of $. I’m eating a Clif bar on the drive to the hill and sometimes a light snack on the way home.

I’m also impressed with some of the tailgate cooking I’ve seen but that’s just never been my way. Too lazy.
Sir....get rid of the IPA in your hand

Edd

Sir....get rid of the IPA in your hand
Which, for the larger audience, was something a Sunapee employee asked me to do earlier this week. He was nice about it, but there was a cop nearby and their liquor license doesn’t account for open drinking in the lot. I just hid It better, no issue.

Smellytele

Which, for the larger audience, was something a Sunapee employee asked me to do earlier this week. He was nice about it, but there was a cop nearby and their liquor license doesn’t account for open drinking in the lot. I just hid It better, no issue.
Solo cups!

jimmywilson69

we get pretty fancy sometimes with our fare. We had a group of about 50 or so participate in an 80s themed tailgate last year. we made a bunch of different types of meatballs, brought sterno and heat trays. It was a hell of a party and a super nice day. We had people come who didn't even ski :LOL: We sometimes just do burgers and dogs. My one buddy has perfected the Crepe! So good!

skiur

Thats whats great about VT, no open container law so you can drink in parking lots or on streets......as long as you can safely pass the quarantine rules!!

skiur

Some ski areas do have their restaurants and bars open.

Yeah, I ski mainly at K and they have no bars open, they do have some resturants open, but I'm not into indoor dining at the present time, and with the limited space in them lines can get pretty long so I just ski and head back to my house for apres. Definitely gonna save $ this year. Hasn't been so bad yet, but when we get to those single digit days I am really going to miss the bar.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thats whats great about VT, no open container law so you can drink in parking lots or on streets......as long as you can safely pass the quarantine rules!!
Is the open container law new because of Covid?

Because in the 90s, there most certainly were open container laws in Burlington. I remember them well in college. You could drink to your hearts content on your front porch, but the second a cop saw you step foot on the sidewalk, you would be ticketed.