• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

Does anyone who used to work in mountain ops have any idea how much money Vail's likely saving at XYZ resort by drastically cutting back on snowmaking to date?
One does have to remember that they did have an early melt out after Thanksgiving, then again the Christmas Day monsoon to deal with.

Looks like they're strategy may be to start ramping up to "normal" level production when temps are GOOD (not marginal unless absolutely necessary, but GOOD) once you get into that 7-10 day window ahead of a holiday period.

The true grasp of things will likely be what happens after MLK Weekend.... Do we start seeing the majority of hoses hauled off the turrets and put away for the season? Or will they make snow, when the weather windows are good, especially on more than just a select few core trails.

For perspective with how the weather has also played a roll, one has to remember that even Killington really just started working on Superstar within the last week. That is something that pre World Cup typically usually started in the week or so before Christmas.

Multiple resurfacing efforts, some quite major, often in not the best of temps, certainly has been the case more than extended windows of GOOD temps that allow for rapid expansion across most of ski country thus far this season

Last edited:

NYDB

You'd think the $500 BILLION they just got in convertible notes for, "general corporate purposes" could cover some snowmaking. I guess making snow isnt, "general" enough. lol
Million not billion. Still should be enough. 1.7 billion in cash and short term credit available. Probably enough to bury Huntah west and North

jimmywilson69

other than the angy mob "pressuring" local management to open a week after the planned opening, and after a 10" snow storm. No complaints here. Snowmaking has been strong and operations are seemingly normal. When the hard shut down in mid march comes I'll be pissed again, especially when there will be snow on the hill, but it is what it is...

FBGM

Really??? What would your mother say about this language from you!
Listen, we are here to come together and bash Vail. Not talk about moms. This is a turning point in AZ history where 95% of the site can agree on a topic of hatred. Legendary.

Plus, your mom likes what comes out of my mouth - I can make dat thang whistle!!!

MogulMonsters

Attitash announced that the Yankee and Cathedral will be open tomorrow! That's going to help distribute (and move people. man I hate the triple!) crowds!

Last edited:

Cobbold

off topic, but New England ski resort news has an article on it, how killington stopped construction on their new lodge till next winter.

thebigo

Attitash announced that the Yankee and Cathedral will be open tomorrow! That's going to help distribute (and move people. man I hate the triple!) crowds!
Cathedral was pushed out when we drove by this afternoon, I would have to think highway is opening if the yankee is going to run. They had switched to PT, not sure how far up, also appeared to be blowing saco. Guns have been running for days on bearfoot with very little production.

thetrailboss

Staff member
off topic, but New England ski resort news has an article on it, how killington stopped construction on their new lodge till next winter.
Money I assume? Probably a direct result of bad weather in the East and West, a terrible season at Snowbird, and John Cumming's amazingly bad business decisions. So they will resume construction this summer?

Cobbold

Article says next winter
Money I assume? Probably a direct result of bad weather in the East and West, a terrible season at Snowbird, and John Cumming's amazingly bad business decisions. So they will resume construction this summer?