• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Month long trip to Colorado......

abc

That is a nice town, so is Silverthorne nearby.
Maybe a nice quiet area to live in. Not much "in town" except a couple of strip malls.

I've spend something like 6-8 weeks in Silverthorne the past 4-5 years. Good access for skiing. But even my local buddy wouldn't consider it "nice town". The locals go hang out in Breck, or Frisco instead.

Tonyr

Maybe a nice quiet area to live in. Not much "in town" except a couple of strip malls.

I've spend something like 6-8 weeks in Silverthorne the past 4-5 years. Good access for skiing. But even my local buddy wouldn't consider it "nice town". The locals go hang out in Breck, or Frisco instead.
So would you consider it a "crappy" town?

We dropped our dog off in Silverthorne a number of times while we skied in the area and it looked somewhat lively to me but I have never stayed there......

abc

So would you consider it a "crappy" town?
For Colorado, I would say it's pretty average. Not enough to say "nice". Nothing I know to say it's crappy either.

But if you're looking to live "in town", I wouldn't choose those two. Because there's not much of a "town".

(My crash pad was up on the hill. So it's just as easy to drive to Frisco than some "in town" hangout)

Tonyr

For Colorado, I would say it's pretty average. Not enough to say "nice". Nothing I know to say it's crappy either.

But if you're looking to live "in town", I wouldn't choose those two. Because there's not much of a "town".

(My crash pad was up on the hill. So it's just as easy to drive to Frisco than some

(My crash pad was up on the hill. So it's just as easy to drive to Frisco than some "in town" hangout)
For the most part we usually hang around the resort for dinner and drinks after a day of skiing so I don't often venture into neighboring towns unless I can walk there from the hotel, need to go there, or have never been to the area and want to check things out.

I will say that in comparison to the number of the small towns I've driven through in VT next to ski resorts, Silverthorne, Frisco, and Dillon looked like metropolises in most cases! It is all relative though, certainly the actual ski towns and resorts are going to be much more fun to hang out at than any of the places mentioned above but we all knew that already anyway.

jimk

I've spent a fair amount of time in the Dillon/Frisco/Silverthorne area over the years. I'm not a local, but have probably visited the area to ski on about ten different occasions. I spent a month in a condo in Silverthorne in March, 2015 and had a great time. I would agree with ABCs comments about it. I consider it sort of a bedroom community, and a pretty nice one, for the more densely developed area of Dillon/Frisco located on the other (south) side of I 70. The condo I stayed in (near pretty Catholic Church) was really nice and an easy drive to numerous ski areas. The free Summit Stage has a terminal in Silverthorne, but I only took the bus once to go skiing (at Keystone) and it made a million stops and took me ~50 mins instead of ~15 drive in my car. Now I know where the foreign seasonal workers live and how they get to work:) There are some commercial businesses in Silverthorne including restaurants, hardware, a large outlet shopping center, but more stuff on the south side of I 70. Bottom line: for vacationers Dillon/Frisco has more services and is closer to ski resorts, for condo/home owners Silverthorne is more attractive and less congested.

abc

The free Summit Stage has a terminal in Silverthorne, but I only took the bus once to go skiing (at Keystone) and it made a million stops and took me ~50 mins instead of ~15 drive in my car.
The Summit Stage routes are "loops". So it works well for some area and not so well for others. I've never taken it to Keystone (I haven't skied there too much after all). But I took it to Breck and Copper just about everyday.

Copper works extremely well. Not many stops going there. More stops on the way back (well, because it's a loop!). But as I'm not in much of a hurry coming back at the end of the day, it doesn't bothers me with all the stops.

Breck I only took it on the way back. It doesn't stop that much. So it works well. (I usually ride with my friend in the morning and took the bus back on my own while my friend goes to work evening shift).

I don't consider the Summit Stage a good bus network. It's better than nothing at all. That's about it. It works if you're a local and are carpooling with your buddy but don't want to be join by the hip. The Summit Stage gives you a way back for those days. But otherwise, it leaves a lot to be desired. It's service to A-basin is very infrequent, and don't run in late season at all.