• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thebigo

You, I and everybody reading this understand that none of this is the local employees fault. They deserve every customer's gratitude, not bullshit. Not so sure about the family heading up for their one big dollar vacation of the winter.

They have been incredibly lucky with the triple, history tells us it is due to shit the bed any day now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Utterly amazing and sad that on January 12th Wildcat is still only offering two top to bottom trails and Attitash can only find the staff or budget to run the carpet (I think) and three chairlifts; one of which being one of the most hated chairs in New England.

This is easily the worst performance at any major ski area that I can recall in my 37 years of skiing.

Why is it that Cannon, Bretton Woods, Cranmore, Loon, Ragged, Waterville (virtually all of their nearest competitors) are not having such issues?

Because Vail sucks.

Need to change their slogan to Worst Experience of a Lifetime. That's literally what it is right now for MWV skiers

deadheadskier

Staff member
. Reading the Conway daily sun Today there is no ad from vail in there.

There should be a pop up add on both Cat and Tash websites stating now hiring linking to an available employment page. And at this point in the game I'd be advertising a generous sign on bonus. Offer $500 or so payable 4/1 for any new employees that stay on through 3/15.

snoseek

I'm willing to bet they just shut one of them after Prez weekend

thetrailboss

Staff member
I called attitash yesterday. Lady that answered said the reason yankee is not running is lack of staff. She says they have just half the staff of last year without the j1s. They knew about lack of j1s all summer but hired later and pay less than competition. Reading the Conway daily sun Today there is no ad from vail in there. Not sure if yankee is going to run midweek this year, same with Abenaki. Also snowmaking is either attitash or wildcat, not both at same time. And wildcat can’t groom it’s two trails every night. So frustrating
Wow on multiple levels. First level--someone answered the phone who was local. Second level--she was honest about the situation.

xwhaler

Has anyone been able to figure out where we can make sure "auto-renew" on epic passes is not enabled? I can't find it anywhere in my account.
I sent an email to Vail to make sure its turned off but I would not put it past them to just delete the email and hit my credit card for next season the 1st chance they get.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Has anyone been able to figure out where we can make sure "auto-renew" on epic passes is not enabled? I can't find it anywhere in my account.
I sent an email to Vail to make sure its turned off but I would not put it past them to just delete the email and hit my credit card for next season the 1st chance they get.
Good point. Charging your card is probably the one thing that Vail can do right! :)

MogulMonsters

You, I and everybody reading this understand that none of this is the local employees fault. They deserve every customer's gratitude, not bullshit. Not so sure about the family heading up for their one big dollar vacation of the winter.

They have been incredibly lucky with the triple, history tells us it is due to shit the bed any day now.
Ummmm yeah. The triple was "down" 12/21 and 12/22 already this year.

jimmywilson69

I just logged in and also couldn't find it. so I initiated a chat. You setup auto-renew when you purchase if you look under your order history tab you can tell if you are enrolled or not. If you are enrolled and you want to cancel or change your card, you have to contact them.

cdskier

I just logged in and also couldn't find it. so I initiated a chat. You setup auto-renew when you purchase if you look under your order history tab you can tell if you are enrolled or not. If you are enrolled and you want to cancel or change your card, you have to contact them.
Don't you love when places make it easy to signup/enroll in something but make it much more difficult to cancel?

icecoast1

Don't you love when places make it easy to signup/enroll in something but make it much more difficult to cancel?
The automatic renewal practice some businesses employ seems bad enough for something small but I'd be pretty mad if somebody automatically charged my credit card for $1000 without me telling them to

Do you actually tell them to automatically renew your pass or are they just doing it on your behalf without you ever saying anything?

mbedle

You agree or not to the auto-renew when you first purchase the pass. As far as them billing your credit card without you knowing, they send out multiple emails in the spring indicating that they are going to first charge the $49 downpayment and multiple emails in the summer when they plan to charge the remaining balance.

drjeff

You agree or not to the auto-renew when you first purchase the pass. As far as them billing your credit card without you knowing, they send out multiple emails in the spring indicating that they are going to first charge the $49 downpayment and multiple emails in the summer when they plan to charge the remaining balance.

As much as Vail certainly has some short comings on many fronts, when it comes to the auto renew option and one's Epic passes, unless one is completely ignorant of their e-mail in-box, it is really tough NOT to be aware of when they're going to charge you (if you choose to re-up again) and how much, or opt out if you choose not to renew.

Between my Epic Pass, my wife's EPIC pass, and our 2 kids Epic passes, probably got close to 20 reminders between the 4 of us as we neared the deadline when they were going to commence the billing for this season's Epic's

Last edited:

raisingarizona

For a handful of years now I’ve been saying that maybe the mega passes will eventually lead to boosting business at the independent and mom and pop type of ski areas. I don’t know but I hope I’m right. I’m not a fan of the McSki experience. Are any of you there yet? I know I am.

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

Break up Vail. Short the stock $MTN. Get places like Wildcat back to local ownership.

For a handful of years now I’ve been saying that maybe the mega passes will eventually lead to boosting business at the independent and mom and pop type of ski areas. I don’t know but I hope I’m right. I’m not a fan of the McSki experience. Are any of you there yet? I know I am.

I would love nothing more than to se MTN broken up or at least required to sell off a chunk of their resorts nationwide. Doubt it will happen though. Government doesn't seem to fea/fight consolidation like it used to.

I too hope that the mega passes lead to a resurgence of the local places (full disclosure, I do have an Ikon pass in addition to my NH college pass), but I keep seeing more and more folks who won't ski anywhere except their epic/ikon destinations. Hopefully, we are right and we can keep the local places viable long enough to be proven so.

Last edited:

xlr8r

I too hope that the mega passes lead to a resurgence of the local places (full disclosure, I do have an Ikon pass in addition to my NH college pass), but I keep seeing more and more folks who won't ski anywhere except their epic/ikon destinations. Hopefully, we are right and we can keep the local places viable long enough to be proven so.
I already have shifted toward the Indy Pass which I only purchased on December 31st, after seeing how things were going with the Vail resorts this year. I will still probably get a Weekend at Attitash and Wildcat, and will continue to do day trips to Sunapee, and less so Crotched. But already I have had a great day at Pats Peak, and plan on going also to Berkshire East and Cannon on the Indy Pass. And maybe if it actually snows a lot maybe go to Black when I am up in the MWV instead of Wildcat. The Indy Pass already is salvaging my season, and I fully intend to buy it again next year when hopefully there will not be VT travel restrictions. Epic next year I am doubtful I will get, maybe Ikon Base.

mlkrgr

Meanwhile 2 runs at wildcat (10 trails)
Now; here's a real kicker. Wachusett has 15 trails now in MA; even they have more terrain! Granted the lift lines are consistently 10-15 minute wait at polar & minuteman due to high demand this year