• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend storm thread....

snoseek

Snowed heavy at wildcat all day, still snowing when I headed home mid afternoon. Did not want to leave but everything was soaked and frozen. Upper catapult rope dropped, sampled upper wildcat. I don't know the total but it was deep, NWS calling for another 11 - 17 this afternoon plus another 3 - 7 tomorrow. Would guess 2'+ when done, no rain.

Only wind was on the summit, surprised to hear cannon closed for wind.
Cant get out till tuesday so I hope it keeps coming. At least I now have a reason to get back to the cat at last

tnt1234

Kids reported Belle was kid of heavy, tough skiing snow. Once the trails got human groomed, they were good.

Platty tomorrow.

JDMRoma

Only wind was on the summit, surprised to hear cannon closed for wind.
Wind was brutal at Cannon, Got 6 runs before they shut it down ! Guy was blown out of lift line at the cannonball...lol !
Wind coming up Avalanche was sandblasting white out, could barely hold any speed !

machski

Wind was brutal at Cannon, Got 6 runs before they shut it down ! Guy was blown out of lift line at the cannonball...lol !
Wind coming up Avalanche was sandblasting white out, could barely hold any speed !
Loon shut down South and all upper lifts on main mountain as well due to wind. Sunday River never got touched by the wind to the extent to shut any lifts. Odd storm. About 8" at Sunday River so far, started late. First chair was only a half inch and a damp mist.

drjeff

The wind at some places, and lack there of at other places, with this storm today was really funky!!

One of my Mount Snow friends, who was laughing while reading online this afternoon that Mount Snow had lifts affected due to wind holds, said "you'd of had a tough time getting a kite off the ground at the Summit the entire time I was up there this morning!"

He was up in the Summit area more than I was today, but I couldn't argue with his assessment the 6 or 7 times I took a lift that ended up in the immediate Summit area mid/late morning today!

The now confirmed by multiple friends that there were power outage issues due to the wet, heavy snow on power lines and trees near the lines, I would put more stock into across this part of SoVT.

Also looking at the weather underground station at the top of Haystack over the last 24hrs (if it's 100% reliable or not? Not sure...) the peak wind gust wasn't even 20mph...

Smellytele

Bolton was windy at the base but half way up it stopped. The road up was a cluster fuck. Made it up but above timberline traction control was constantly on as I crawled at 5 mph. My 2 sons had to get out and push at 1 point but only for 100 yards.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Magic 100% open. Not gonna stop snowing in VT til tomorrow afternoon. In other news, finally some actual cold Monday night-Wednesday with teens for highs and single-digit lows. Honest question...has it dipped into the single digits in ski country at all this season? I can't think of any real cold streaks. Heck, I don't think it's gotten below 17 or 18 degrees at my house in CT.

thebigo

Magic 100% open. Not gonna stop snowing in VT til tomorrow afternoon. In other news, finally some actual cold Monday night-Wednesday with teens for highs and single-digit lows. Honest question...has it dipped into the single digits in ski country at all this season? I can't think of any real cold streaks. Heck, I don't think it's gotten below 17 or 18 degrees at my house in CT.
Screenshot_20210117-120646_Chrome.jpg

thebigo

Been a long time since there was no orange over new england in the long range, maybe last may?

cdskier

This storm delivered quite well in the Mad River Valley area so far. My legs are exhausted...

cdskier

How was the consistency of the snow? Thick or powdery?
What we got on the front end of the storm yesterday was pretty dense. I didn't go out in it. Great to setup a base though. The backend snow has been much lighter. Not blower powder, but very enjoyable and playful snow.

drjeff

How was the consistency of the snow? Thick or powdery?
So VT yesterday was dense snow.

Today was much lighter and dryer, to the extent that the close to a foot that blew into my walkway for me to shovel this morning weighed probably half of what the foot of dense snow that I had to shovel yesterday morning!

ScottySkis

From Gore Facebook page today:

""Still finding stashes of pow- plus we have 23 miles of soft packed-powder heaven."

kingslug

Man..I rolled the dice and came up snake eyes..hate missing a storm. Guess the people who rented our place had a good time. But it snowed and didn't rain which I am very happy about. Last season that ice up after the rain stayed until March. makes for some fast powder skiing though. Still have Feb, March and April to go.
As far as dense heavy snow..fat boards chew it up no problem.

KustyTheKlown

^lol. this guy.

bolton skied great today. winds kept vista down but timberline stuff skied awesome. the line snaked up the hill before lunch time but was single file and only 10 min at the busiest time of day.

magic tomorrow. leftovers. yum.