• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
I’ve been skiing solo more than usual this year. It’d be nice if there was a singles line specifically for people that don’t mind getting paired with another single. It’d speed things up a bit.
Crotched had a singles line for the rocket today and were doing just that. Line took ten minutes to get through tops.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To my knowledge none of the four nh properties have sold out a single day this year. Today the line for the bear quad ran back to the triple and curled uphill. The abenaki and Kachina lifts were closed.

Yesterday the line at wildcat ran into the snowcat line at one point and shit was flowing out of the porta john. The bobcat was closed.

I have no idea how they calculate capacity but if neither day this weekend were sold out, they are never going to sell out.

Sunapee has a few times. They were today when I was looking at adjusting reservations on Thursday

abc

Not sure why you even post on a forum focused on the northeast with how picky you are about conditions here..
Oh, so this forum is only for a certain kind of NE skier? :rolleyes:

If you don't ski a lot, you shouldn't post

If you don't ski in the rain, you shouldn't post

If you ski groomers only, you shouldn't post

If you don't ski on the opening, you shouldn't post

If you can't stand in line for half an hour, you shouldn't post

Rowsdower

JFBB's Insta this morning had a half dozen "please work here" ads for everything from ski patrol to snowmaking to lifties, and that hasn't been usual of them on social media this season either. Given some other chatter I've heard it seems like Vail is having trouble retaining staff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not sure why you even post on a forum focused on the northeast with how picky you are about conditions here...Today was great out. I can't speak for everywhere in VT, but here in the MRV area the backend snow has been very enjoyable and definitely a fun type of powder. It wasn't super-light blower pow, but so what? It also wasn't the heavier dense snow that fell on the front end of the storm.

View attachment 50062
Man, I miss Sugarbush.

cdskier

Oh, so this forum is only for a certain kind of NE skier? :rolleyes:

If you don't ski a lot, you shouldn't post

If you don't ski in the rain, you shouldn't post

If you ski groomers only, you shouldn't post

If you don't ski on the opening, you shouldn't post

If you can't stand in line for half an hour, you shouldn't post

That's certainly not what I said. I just don't understand what you get out of posting here when you complain about every little thing and find tons of excuses to not ski here. And when people say they're out having fun, you try to put down their experience.

ScottySkis

[QUO+1TE="cdskier, post: 1059049, member: 25258"]
That's certainly not what I said. I just don't understand what you get out of posting here when you complain about every little thing and find tons of excuses to not ski here. And when people say they're out having fun, you try to put down their experience.
[/QUOTE]
+100+

I agree

ScottySkis

I rarely put down other people's fun day, unless it's used in a context that suggests anyone who doesn't ski in that condition is not worthy as a skier.
I think u post changed over the last 10yrears I used you now 1 of the people on AZ that keeps other s from going on in my opinion
Many positive positive posters have left AZ for negative posters in my opinion

Jersey Skier

Sorry...was busy out playing in the powder with all the people VT resorts are supposedly inaccessible to.

Unless you know the capacity Vail is using at each resort, comparing the two is irrelevant. With all lifts running, Mt Snow has about 50% more uphill capacity than Hunter. And Mt Snow (with the exception of Wind Holds today) has nearly every lift running. Meanwhile Hunter still hasn't opened Hunter West so loses a decent chunk of capacity there.

So Hunter could have a capacity of say 5000 reservations per day while Mt Snow could have a limit of 7500 people per day. Just because Hunter sells all 5000 and Mt Snow doesn't sell out all 7500 doesn't mean more people are going to Hunter because they can't go to VT. Hunter has been crowded on weekends even pre-COVID. A lot of people going there on a weekend isn't a new phenomenon. In terms of other Epic resorts in VT, Stowe is sold out. I somehow doubt it is only Vermonters there. Okemo isn't sold out, but again, they likely have a larger reservation capacity than Hunter (their uphill capacity is normally 84% higher than Hunter's if I did the math right so again having more reservations allowed there makes sense).

PS...why would I call 2nd home owners Vermonters? That makes absolutely no sense. Instead they're a perfect example of non-Vermonters that the resorts are not inaccessible to (the number of wifi signals and number of out of state people staying here in my condo complex midweek instead of going home is much higher than what you'd usually see as an example).

Hunter is now crowded on weekdays too. This photo is the line of people waiting to pick up lift tickets on Wednesday morning. I've been skiing Hunter on Wednesdays for 25 years and have never seen anything like this before.

IMG_9726 (1).jpg

FBGM

JFBB's Insta this morning had a half dozen "please work here" ads for everything from ski patrol to snowmaking to lifties, and that hasn't been usual of them on social media this season either. Given some other chatter I've heard it seems like Vail is having trouble retaining staff.
That’s what happens when you pay like shit, treat your employees like shit, and take any and all fun out of working in the ski industry.

drjeff

Hunter is now crowded on weekdays too. This photo is the line of people waiting to pick up lift tickets on Wednesday morning. I've been skiing Hunter on Wednesdays for 25 years and have never seen anything like this before.

View attachment 50068
The reality is for probably 1001 reasons, how we live our lives today, especially with time management, is vastly different than 25 yrs ago.

A much greater portion of the population, across all age demographics, have the ability to ski midweek now, and as a result, for many resorts (mega pass affiliated or not) are seeing increases in volume then.

When you also factor in the number of people who do have one (or more) passes, and they want to get their monies worth from their passes, you see a the crowd volume ticking up many days a week.

This year in particular, when you have folks, from Covid concerns, wanting to both ski/ride and avoid the typical busier weekend days, that's certainly driving some midweek volume. Also factor in with many school aged (from college on down to elementary school) students having the flexibility that remote learning gives many of them, that adds to the midweek volume as well.

Will this trend continue when we get society reopened back up to close to "normal"? Only time will tell.

There are certainly factors beyond just the rise of the mega passes, that are in the discussion as well

Mainer

Looks like attitash figured out how to delete Facebook posts. First smart move of the year for them. Didn’t groom half the mountain. Lines at bear stretched to kachina triple. Can’t run Abenaki even though the snow is mounded and ready to groom. Pathetic

chuckstah

Looks like attitash figured out how to delete Facebook posts. First smart move of the year for them. Didn’t groom half the mountain. Lines at bear stretched to kachina triple. Can’t run Abenaki even though the snow is mounded and ready to groom. Pathetic
Yep, I've had a less than stellar post removed. Whatever, it can't make me renew the pass. Only another big credit could accomplish that, but still the doubtful.

thebigo

What wasn't groomed? Problem on illusion and idiots was they groomed it wet, then it froze solid after grooming.

Cannot believe there is no contract between some hoa and the mountain to run abenaki by a certain date. Why did they blow and groom the top of snowdancer if they had no intention to run the lift?

MogulMonsters

I actually found Attitash quite pleasant this weekend especially for a holiday during covid. I’m much happier up here than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Lines were somewhat long during peak hours but there were lots of folks flying solo on lifts. Do I wish they opened more lifts? Absolutely but I’m grateful that the Yankee was spinning.

humphreys ledge, northwest passage, and far out skiied well all day. Morning star and snow dancerwere nice today as well.

If you talk to staff here they’re trying like hell but have limited staff for a variety of reasons.

Pray for snow and cold weather. This won’t be the best season but it’s looking up!

Mainer

As a lifelong skier at attitash, I guess this is the new normal under vail. For one of the three biggest weekends of the year to have 3 lifts (double/double is one in my book)Not running is acceptable to you that is fine. Different strokes for different folks.

MogulMonsters

As a lifelong skier at attitash, I guess this is the new normal under vail. For one of the three biggest weekends of the year to have 3 lifts (double/double is one in my book)Not running is acceptable to you that is fine. Different strokes for different folks.
I actually don’t understand why they don’t run the double that stops at the top of the learning center instead of the triple. I wish they would!

The chairs are on the doubles now. Not that long ago they were on the ground.