• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

hub8

I do too. Slide Brook is spinning this weekend but no word on Castlerock yet that I know of.
Have always been impressed with your knowledge of lifts, but just want to point out that I was at the ME side Sunday and Monday. Didn't see Slide Brook running on either day.

Slidebrook87

Have always been impressed with your knowledge of lifts, but just want to point out that I was at the ME side Sunday and Monday. Didn't see Slide Brook running on either day.
It didn’t run this past weekend, but is scheduled to run this weekend. Temps look a bit cold so it may be on “cold hold” at times.

JimG.

Staff member
perhaps intentionally keeping it closed to avoid bad covid practices? theres hardly any physical area for the lift-line, and the chair only takes 2 people every 15-20 seconds or so. just seems hard to maintain the policy over there.
This is on point and probably the true reason.

Hawk

They will probably open this weekend if we keep getting these little snow shots this week. If you check the snow board cam it looks like 3 or 4 " this morning and there is snow showers in the forecast all week. That is what I heard from a kind of reliable source. Not one from the mountain. Personally I like the hike policy because there are less people over there and the snow stays better.

KustyTheKlown

Why? Because it’s a double? I don’t see it.
It’s a double with massive space between chairs that only takes 2 people every 15-20 seconds or so, with a tiny physical area for the actual line to go, and no room to distance the line the way they’ve distanced every other line with empty lanes

Hawk

I am sure they will do 2 lanes with a decent space in-between. I think if they assign someone to manage the line and snake the line up the hill after the flat is filled, it will manage the crowd down there. I know if I was coming down lower downspout and saw the line coming up I would just go by. But just the same I would like a little more snow over there before they open. They are close I think.

Slidebrook87

If they really wanted, they could have a person at the top of the entrance off of Lower Downspout opening and closing it based on the current line. That way there isn’t too much crowding at the base of the lift.

Powder Whore

If they really wanted, they could have a person at the top of the entrance off of Lower Downspout opening and closing it based on the current line. That way there isn’t too much crowding at the base of the lift.
Wouldn’t that cause more congestion @ your new “checkpoint”. Do u honestly think that people will ski on by even though the lift spinning? I find that hard to believe.

The entire mountain is skiing fantastic. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Hawk

last year we would check the web cam and if the line was long we would do the hike anyway. Good to stretch the legs and it was faster.

KustyTheKlown

last year we would check the web cam and if the line was long we would do the hike anyway. Good to stretch the legs and it was faster.

kind of a great point that I've never even thought about. the hike and the lift with even a medium sized line is probably about the same time. that's going to influence future decision making. thanks.

cdskier

That thought has entered my mind numerous times but I've never followed through on it.

mikec142

You guys must be really fast skaters/hikers. I fully confess to not being the fittest 50 year old on the hill, but there is no way that I'm hiking the LT to get to CR faster than waiting on the lift line.

As to those that want it open vs. those that don't mind the hike...I'm all for it opening (this weekend when I will be up there). Under normal circumstances, at best, I might hike the ridge once. On a good day I will spend the whole day lapping the CR pod via the lift. Not exactly the same.

Hawk

OK. Not killing yourself it is about 20 minutes. I have done it in 15. So if you use the top of HG as a starting point and there is a line at Castlerock it is easily faster. It is 7 minutes up the lift so the line would need to be less than 13 minutes to make it a wash and then there is the time to ski down to the lift from HG to consider.

mikec142

OK. Not killing yourself it is about 20 minutes. I have done it in 15. So if you use the top of HG as a starting point and there is a line at Castlerock it is easily faster. It is 7 minutes up the lift so the line would need to be less than 13 minutes to make it a wash and then there is the time to ski down to the lift from HG to consider.
Couple of thoughts...kind of a big difference if you start at the top of HG as opposed to say, the bottom of HG. 20 minutes sounds really, really fast to me. I think the last time I did it, it was closer to 35 minutes (I was with my kids).

Hawk

What I said before is that I would look at the cam when at the top of HG and see what the line looked like before heading down there. If the line was long I would not go down, I would go over. With the cams out this year I would just make the assumption that the lines are always long there.