• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for recommendations

Hoodoo

Hey all - first and foremost, I plan to follow any and all restrictions related to travel, Covid, etc. Secondly, I'm asking this question based on conditions being equal as it is tough to predict what weather will be a month or two out.

I am considering hitting up Gore either the 3rd week of Feb or 3rd week of Mar. Important items to consider:
50 yo
Snowboarder
Travelling solo
Don't mind driving a bit to the hill, slopeside lodging doesn't matter
Driving a few hours to the 'next hill' is ok by me
Not a fan of bumps
Love steep, fast groomers
I don't need big, fancy villages and base areas
Love lower angle trees
Oddly, I sorta dig catwalks (esp if there is a nice, snowy bank adjacent to them) as long as they don't require skating

I may be content with a few days at Gore. But, driving up from PA, I am thinking that nabbing a few other spots may be cool, too.

Logic would say grab Whiteface while up there, and maybe Platty on the way up or back.

However, popping across the line into VT might be doable, too.

I've ridden Stowe, Jay, Okemo, Smuggs, Windham, and Hunter, already. So, trying to steer clear of those as I want to make this a 'new places' trip.

Stratton seems to have the long blues that I am into, even if it is uber 'resort-like'
The Sunbrook area of Mt Snow looks appealing
The south-facing nature of Bromley could offer a bunch of stoke on a bluebird day
The 1500 foot of sustained blue vert off of super bravo at Sugarbush looks cool
Magic mountain looks homey and funky, I can dig it

I know that opinions vary drastically, so, I would appreciate your opinions based on my criteria listed above. Either on the aforementioned places, or, something totally off of my radar.

Thanks in advance!!

In exchange for your help, I promise not to drive like a typical PA driver. I will carve my turns, not pushing snow off the trails. I won't stop in the middle of the trail. I'll share a beer with you in the parking lot :)

Last edited:

crank

Gore is kind of a disjointed hill with lots of skating on skis and unstrapping and walking on boards. You might be happier doing a Stratton, Bromely, Magic, Okemo trip... all in southern VT.

JimG.

Staff member
Gore is kind of a disjointed hill with lots of skating on skis and unstrapping and walking on boards. You might be happier doing a Stratton, Bromely, Magic, Okemo trip... all in southern VT.
Yeah.

Do that don't ski at Gore.

urungus

Magic leaves much of their terrain ungroomed, so might not be the best choice if you are looking for “steep fast groomers”

icecoast1

Magic is an awesome Mountain but probably isnt a place to go if you like groomers and dont like ungroomed terrain

Stratton would be nice for riding groomers, everything there is pretty mellow for the most part and you can ride everything off a detachable which is nice

Probably best to avoid mount snow and any other vail property at all costs. Sunbrook does have some good trails but you have to ride an insanely slow lift and that doesnt even run every day

Bromley is a nice little mountain with some cruisers although it can get boring pretty quick

Nice part about that area of VT is you have lots of options

Magic, Bromley and Stratton are all close and Mount Snow is a reasonable drive

kingslug

You can get around Gore if you stick to certain areas. If you ride the quad its a straight long shot down under the lift and next to it. Showcase and twist. Just look at the trail map. Theres a lot to do. And very good chille.

Hoodoo

You can get around Gore if you stick to certain areas. If you ride the quad its a straight long shot down under the lift and next to it. Showcase and twist. Just look at the trail map. Theres a lot to do. And very good chille.
You had me at good chili!!

Hoodoo

Lots of good info from the abovers. Thanks for taking your time to reply, folks!

ScottySkis

Platty in Catskill has awesome terrain but is far from the way it Best when they get natural which they get more than all other Catskills
All the fpor their id delicious
But definitely go fitt time while snow is good like now

skifastinvt

Based on your description, I think Sugarbush would be a great choice. Pm me for lodging suggestions. Maybe hit Pico for a day on your way to/from.

abc

Between steep groomers and low angle trees, you can't go wrong in any of them. Hopefully by the time you're heading up, there will be plenty of coverage for the trees...

Stratton is not exactly steep. But tons of low angle trees.
Mount Snow has some nice groomers in the North Peak area. And some trees scatter around too.
Whiteface is about as steep as you'll find. It's pretty tough on skis sometimes. Will test your skill on a board.
Platty and Bell both have nice trees and laid back vibe. Platty has some decent steep groomer too.
Gore is best known for its trees. If you're not fazed by catwalks, you'll be fine. (I ski with boarders a lot. My buddies can cruise up hills pass skiers walking!)

If weather being equal, you can drive straight into VT (assuming you quarantine at home). Ski your heart out. Then cross back into New York and work your way home.