• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

uphillklimber

Okay, this is going sideways, we've all been there, done that, just thought some real discussion might be interesting.

Last edited:

abc

Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
When the mountain is crowded, it's really not "always" possible unless you go so slow you'd really be better off xc skiing. Especially when the other skiers forgot one of the other rules.

I had one such a couple years back. A kid took a jump off the side of the trail, landed wrong, saved it by shooting sideways across the trail into my path. I didn't realize he was heading towards a natural kicker in the first place. So I couldn't anticipate him suddenly coming across the trail sideways!

We didn't exactly "collide". In my attempt to get out of his way, I ended up going at an angle but similar speed as him. So when we "touch", we just grabbed each others elbow, skied together for a few seconds, both upright. Then went our separate ways. He apologized as we parted ways.

Last edited:

xlr8r

I wish they would add a "do not intentionally make erratic or unpredictable movements" to the responsibility code. This happens all the time on greens and easy blues where you are trying to pass a beginner in a snowplow, and they unexpectedly turn 90 degrees towards you. It is very hard to predict where beginners will go as they have no rhythm to their skiing. Intermediates at least have some rhythm as they at least making turns usually.

tumbler

Some have mentioned clicking your poles together to make the skier ahead of you hear that noise and be aware they are not alone.
Yeah, nothing better than someone skiing up behind you and banging their poles together...are you serious? How about the downhill skier has the right of way and you must assume they are going to make an erratic movement. This post is purely OP trying to justify that his close call was not his fault because of his superior skiing ability.

skiur

Yeah, nothing better than someone skiing up behind you and banging their poles together...are you serious? How about the downhill skier has the right of way and you must assume they are going to make an erratic movement. This post is purely OP trying to justify that his close call was not his fault because of his superior skiing ability.

Pole clanking works much better than saying on your right/left, people get confused and turn to the right when your trying to pass on the right. The pole clank isn't taking your responsibility away, just alerting the person your trying to pass that someone is near.

skiur

Really, who cares what somebody on a message board that you will probably never meet thinks of you.

dblskifanatic

Pole clanking works much better than saying on your right/left, people get confused and turn to the right when your trying to pass on the right. The pole clank isn't taking your responsibility away, just alerting the person your trying to pass that someone is near.

My wife was passing a beginner that was snowplowing down a narrow blue trail and yelled on your right and he turned to the right and across her skis and she double ejected and supermaned it elbows first driving the humerus head into the humerus giving her 7 fractures. I passed him earlier but went into the trees to get around him. I waited around the corner for her but the guy showed up first he stopped looked at me and took off. She was laying there in about 1.5 feet of snow off trail/ Had to hike back up to find her.

Once I helped her up, we unzipper her jacket and used it like a sling and sked down the rest of the way directly to ski patrol. Ski patrol looked at it and said got to the hospital but asked for the description of the guy. They told us later while sitting in the lodge waiting for our kids that the guy had his lift ticket pulled stating that he should have stopped to see if she was OK and then sought help. My wife hates narrow trails ever since.

He was not going fast and she was not either but timing was bad.

abc

Sorry to hear that. But it's pretty natural for people to turn their head when they hear "something". In normal life, that's perfectly appropriate behavior. On skis, that turning head cause the skis to turn in that direction. So you have the opposite of what you wish to see.

I think clanking of the skis works better when you're close by. It gave people a hint something is on that side so they don't turn that way. But since it isn't very loud, you can only do that when you're closed by. Shouting when you're almost on top of them tend to has the opposite effect.

If you want to shout, do that from a distance. And only to skiers who are competent. I also don't just shout "on your left". I yell "passing on your left/right". That's long enough of a sentence for the listener to comprehend it and also get a sense of how fast I'm passing. I leave a second or two before I actually pass. Do that well enough in advance, I often see "confirmation" of the skier tightening up their wiggle. Then I pass as quickly as I can, sometimes adding "thank you", or "enjoy your day".

I would not do that behind a snowplowing beginner though. They may not be in full control of their trajectory. It'd be my fault to end up in the same space as they are.

Last edited:

Funky_Catskills

I'm actually really dyslexic. So if you say "on your right".. I may turn into you.
I also ride with a skier that is deaf but kicks ass on the mountain. So - don't count on her listening if you HAVE TO get by her..

Point is - audio queues are not to be trusted. I just wait until it's safe to pass. Never had an issue.