• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Intel?

abc

There’s a Mount Snow intel thread going which is really helpful (for me).

Anyone at Okemo lately (this week)? How’s the wait on various lifts?

Where to park for the least amount of walking (in ski boots:( ) while still avoid riding the shuttle?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There’s a Mount Snow intel thread going which is really helpful (for me).

Anyone at Okemo lately (this week)? How’s the wait on various lifts?

Where to park for the least amount of walking (in ski boots:( ) while still avoid riding the shuttle?

I've been to Okemo a couple dozen times....haven't found that lot yet! Actually as a semi-joke I was complaining to my buddy a few years ago about how many stairs we had climbed in the main base area. An ambassador came running over and gave me a free hot chocolate or coffee voucher! I explained I was being tongue-in-cheek but he insisted I take it! Anyone think Vail has that kind of customer service? As much as people love to hate on Okemo the Muellers ran that place RIGHT.

icecoast1

I've been to Okemo (pre vail) several times and never had to take a shuttle. Just parked in the lot closest to the main lodge

KustyTheKlown

okemo is stupid. parking at jackson gore is better. parking at the main lodge you have to cross a road and climb a bunch of stairs, and then take one of two parallel slow bunny hill chairs to get to the actual chairs. at jackson gore you have to ride a high speed bunny lift chair to get to the actual chair. the facilities on that side are newer. but okemo is stupid and the skiing is boring.

Edd

Next time I go I’ll try JG parking. Only been once but I’d like to check it out again on a mellow weekday.

chuckstah

Get to Jackson Gore early, and it's not bad. Main Lodge sucks, but not too bad if you're really early.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jackson Gore parking is better but still not really near the slope. No close parking at Okemo.

Definitely make a go of it, @abc . Okemo gets a TON of hate as a "groomers" only resort....which it certainly leans towards. However the place is HUGE....while much of it is groomers the 15% that isn't is more than enough for a day or two of skiing. Double Diamond, Outrage, Triplesec, Searles Way, Ledges, and usually one or two trails in Jackson Gore will be totally ungroomed, along with quite a few areas of 50/50 grooming. They're also one of the last places in the East I've seen seed moguls, down in Solitude (can't remember the trail name) and another trail on the main face (the one to the skier's left of the superpipe trail?). Unfortunately all this knowledge is pre-Vail so idk how relevant it is now.

There's also quite a few woods skiing areas. And its similar to Stratton in that the clientele isn't interested in that stuff so it goes untouched.

abc

@ss20, I actually skied Okemo one day after the Vail take over last season. Though at that time, I think Vail left things alone.

Appreciate the suggestions. Will look for those good runs.

My biggest worry is lift lines. I really can’t stand in line for very long in a boot that’s barely broken in. (It was new last season, still working on it when resorts shut down). My feet go to sleep when I’m not actually skiing.

TyWebb

Appreciate the thread as I'm probably heading there this weekend with my son. It seems like a good mountain for us to spend two days but worried abt the lines as well so any info appreciated

Also any intermediate glade trails we should look out for?

urungus

Appreciate the thread as I'm probably heading there this weekend with my son. It seems like a good mountain for us to spend two days but worried abt the lines as well so any info appreciated

Also any intermediate glade trails we should look out for?

Everglades, Whispering Pines

NYDB

Maybe I hit it on a good snow year but I remember the South face had decent terrain and they left that area somewhat ungroomed to boot. Enough for a fun day I haven't been there in 20 years though so I have no idea about the jackson gore side. Dont plan on ever returning since I feel Stratton is a much better mountain overall. For big flat so VT mountains I rank flatton first, then mount slow, then slowkemo. Just for terrain and snow. I can't imagine not being able to have fun at any of them midweek with good snow though.

Cobbold

Wow
Maybe I hit it on a good snow year but I remember the South face had decent terrain and they left that area somewhat ungroomed to boot. Enough for a fun day I haven't been there in 20 years though so I have no idea about the jackson gore side. Dont plan on ever returning since I feel Stratton is a much better mountain overall. For big flat so VT mountains I rank flatton first, then mount slow, then slowkemo. Just for terrain and snow. I can't imagine not being able to have fun at any of them midweek with good snow though.
twenty years is a long time, it’s funny how you can put 10 skiers in a room and a argument breaks out among them on which Mtn is better, interesting to watch.

abc

I can't imagine not being able to have fun at any of them midweek with good snow though.
At the moment, I'm less concern about terrain. More about lift line wait time and lift line etiquette

Right now, the snow is quite good! And I had fun at Mount Snow yesterday. No crowd, no line. I would love to change it up a bit if Okemo is equally uncrowded. But if it's long lines even mid-week, I'll just stick with what I have at Mount Snow.

jimmywilson69

While Okemo isn't this particular forums "cup of tea" which is obvious by all of the negative comments, you can have a good time there. For me a day and a half to 2 days is plenty. decent steeps in some places, nothing like Killington, but there is some pitch to be had. Also as stated the trees are lightly traveled.

The Bubble 6 and the Bubble 4 at Jackson Gore can get long lines. There are a ton of other lifts to move around though mountain though. South Ridge sees lighter traffic than the main face and Jackson Gore.

I've never parked at Jackson Gore. I always get there early and park near the bar out front of the main lodge/entrance. Jackson Gore lodge is much nicer than main lodge. there is a decent bar/restaurant upstairs that had a good selection of VT beer last year when I was there.

jimmywilson69

are you this hard up for interaction that you need to keep posting in this thread? we get it you are hard core and okemo sucks to you. I'm sure you could make another thread about your "epic" road trips from Brooklyn to ski country to stoke your ego or whatever...