• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

thetrailboss

Staff member
3 inches..thats sad. One time that wouldn't get people out of bed. Used to have a dream of moving to Utah..that ship has sailed.
You should have seen the traffic for Solitude when it opened and they got 3 inches of new snow. The cars were backed up from the mouth of BCC ONTO Interstate 215.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So we got 16-19" of new snow overnight. Alta's parking lot filled up at 8:12am. The lifts don't start until 9:15am. 🤦‍♂️

jimk

So we got 16-19" of new snow overnight. Alta's parking lot filled up at 8:12am. The lifts don't start until 9:15am. 🤦‍♂️
I guess big snow on a Saturday morning will generate crowds just about everywhere. Do you suppose Sol/Bright is just as busy today? On a day like this I found Park City to actually be a decent crowd avoidance strategy going on some of their higher/steeper terrain.

With IKON basic, you need the big dumps to happen on blacked out holidays:sneaky: for less crowded powder experiences.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I guess big snow on a Saturday morning will generate crowds just about everywhere. Do you suppose Sol/Bright is just as busy today? On a day like this I found Park City to actually be a decent crowd avoidance strategy going on some of their higher/steeper terrain.

With IKON basic, you need the big dumps to happen on blacked out holidays:sneaky: for less crowded powder experiences.
Solitude/Brighton is worse I imagine.

raisingarizona

I do get my days here and there. Between a crazy work week and what I imagine will be crazy traffic, I am too tired and unmotivated to go tonight. As I said in another post, it took me 90 minutes Monday night to drive from Snowbird to the mouth of the Canyon, or six miles. We got four, yes (4), inches of snow and it brought traffic to a standstill largely because folks did not have snowtires and slid off the road or creeped down holding up the traffic heading home.

A lot of old timers are really angry and have taken to the backcountry, which is also getting busy. I just have reset my expectations.

Here is a post about Monday night's disaster: https://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2021/01/yesterdays-snowmaggedon.html
Jeez. How do employees deal with that?

I’m not skiing today because of crowds. We just got 11 inches but I still can’t get motivated to ski with thousands of Phoenixans on limited terrain. I’m waiting for Monday.

kingslug

Ive come to the point ide rather be at a small local mountain thats somewhat empty and ski 3 inches of new..rather than deal with a monster shitshow...
Had a great time at Gore today..skied some new pow...no lines...

FBGM

Every picture I saw of Wasatch resorts today was mental. No way I’d ever put up with that. Traffic was just as bad as the lift lines. 45min lines at Collins lift. Get fucked.

I went for a tour. Waste deep. Saw 3 people. Thank you, bye.

snoseek

Jeez. How do employees deal with that?

I’m not skiing today because of crowds. We just got 11 inches but I still can’t get motivated to ski with thousands of Phoenixans on limited terrain. I’m waiting for Monday.
I worked up there 3 till 1030ish. My roomates worked days till 330 or 4. On multiple days we arrived home within 2 hours of each other.

jimk

Solitude/Brighton is worse I imagine.
Did you hear about this? The BCC access road was closed for about 5 hours on Sunday afternoon, 1/24/21. Dash cam video shows the moment two cars crashed and went into the river near the S-curve in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

A ski patroller friend of mine posted this on another site about additional traffic congestion this winter in BCC: "The canyon was also closed on Saturday (1/23) for a few hours due to "extreme congestion", the fifth day that's happened thus far this season. A couple feet of snow seemingly brought out every Ikon Pass holder along the Wasatch Front. Lift lines were horrifying. According to UDOT, this season there have been numerous days when the number of vehicles in BCC has exceeded the number of vehicles in LCC by more than a thousand."

More on the big 1/24/21 snarl: https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...ing-peak-travel-time-to-remove-crash-vehicles

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did you here about this? The BCC access road was closed for about 5 hours on Sunday afternoon, 1/24/21. Dash cam video shows the moment two cars crashed and went into the river near the S-curve in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

A ski patroller friend of mine posted this on another site about additional traffic congestion this winter in BCC: "The canyon was also closed on Saturday (1/23) for a few hours due to "extreme congestion", the fifth day that's happened thus far this season. A couple feet of snow seemingly brought out every Ikon Pass holder along the Wasatch Front. Lift lines were horrifying. According to UDOT, this season there have been numerous days when the number of vehicles in BCC has exceeded the number of vehicles in LCC by more than a thousand."

More on the big 1/24/21 snarl: https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...ing-peak-travel-time-to-remove-crash-vehicles
I was talking with someone about the accident in the 2020-2021 Ski Season Thread.

No surprise at all about traffic issues in BCC. It mysteriously started the same season that Alterra bought Solitude. IKON't figure out what changed. Can you?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Obviously accelerating hard..black smoke pouring out the exhaust..diesel on full churn..then he loses it.
Folks posted that the truck was pulled over earlier in the day and probably did not have snow tires. It looks like he slid on ice. A good example of how one person's decision to drive up the canyons without snow tires results in serious injuries and hours of back-ups impacting thousands of people.

kingslug

Years ago my friend drove me back to SLC airport in a small snowstorm. I counted about 20 accidents..Most were pickups that slid into the median.
Amazing how people got around in the old days with 2wd...they had snowtires.

jimmywilson69

you still need snow tires or something a little more aggressive with all wheel and 4 wheel drive. I learned this the hard way when I couldn't back my subaru forester out of my spot at Stowe last February after a surprise 20" I eventually was able to push car out with wife driving. the drive back to Burlington took 2 hours. I immediately bought snow tires on wheels and will not go north without that equipment ever again. I am a skilled driver in the snow having spend the first 23 years of my life in western PA.

bizarrefaith

A lot of people don't get that AWD/4WD without snow tires is inferior to 2WD with good snow tires. How many wheels are getting power doesn't matter if the tires can't hold the road.