• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdskier

But the Vaccine does not prevent you from getting Covid it reduces the symptoms. Why can it not mutate. It is now facing immune systems that are not as effected by it so it will need to mutate.

In "some" cases it doesn't prevent you from getting it and only reduces the symptoms. In other cases it does prevent you from getting it at all. And it also potentially reduces the chances of an asymptomatic person spreading it. Less spreading in general means less chances for it to mutate.

Hawk

I don't think you have this right. The vaccine creates an immune response in your body that makes it create antibodies. So once you have those, and your system comes in contact with the virus it immediately attacks it and rids itself of it. So there is very little possibility you could pass it along. If you come in contact with a mutation then it may or may not kill it depending on the mutation.

mbedle

But the Vaccine does not prevent you from getting Covid it reduces the symptoms. Why can it not mutate. It is now facing immune systems that are not as effected by it so it will need to mutate.
Not true - The Pfizer and Maderna vaccines do a really good job of preventing you from contracting Covid (J&J a little less). There are very few documented breakthrough infections, when compared to the number of people that have been fully vaccinated.

Domeskier

The idea that a less-than-100% effective vaccine is somehow going to increase the risk of dangerous random mutations against a no-vaccine baseline reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of microbiology. Viruses are not cunning little homunculi that will themselves into new and more dangerous forms when confronted by vaccine-enhanced immune systems. They are dumb little bits of genetic code that replicate themselves imperfectly and sometimes mutate. The likelihood that a dangerous mutation will occur increases in direct proportion to the size of the virus pool. By reducing the presence of the virus in the environment, any partially effective vaccine will necessarily reduce the likelihood that a dangerous random mutation with occur.

snoseek

Man I will say I got pretty sick on that second dose for two days. Had to pump out a couple hectic long work days and it straight sucked. Glad that's over. Moving forward covid is over for me. I trust that it will keep me safe and I can finally hug my mother.

Smellytele

Moron, take your EXPERIMENTAL "vaccine" and STFU.
He could come back with "get covid and die idiot"
where did you come up with this stupidity?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Moron, take your EXPERIMENTAL "vaccine" and STFU.
I believe the word you are looking for is MIRACLE vaccine.

Honestly, what more evidence do people need to see about how effective these vaccines have been and the more people who get it, the better.

Look at January. Very few people had been vaccinated. 2-3+ thousand deaths a day in this country.

Look at now. With only 38% of the country fully vaccinated that number has dropped into the hundreds. Not too difficult to extrapolate where the mortality rate is going to go when we have 70-80% vaccinated.

Look at the horror occurring in India right now with their low vaccination rate.

This is truly 1+1=2 math at this point.

Hawk

This is exactly what I am talking about. The total misunderstanding and propelled mis-information perpetuated by social media and other forms of news sources is what's at issue here. I'm willing to take a leap of faith on people and say they just got bad information and it's not a lack of intelligence. For some they are taking the word of people that they deemed trust worthy when they were not.

drjeff

I believe the word you are looking for is MIRACLE vaccine.

Honestly, what more evidence do people need to see about how effective these vaccines have been and the more people who get it, the better.

Look at January. Very few people had been vaccinated. 2-3+ thousand deaths a day in this country.

Look at now. With only 38% of the country fully vaccinated that number has dropped into the hundreds. Not too difficult to extrapolate where the mortality rate is going to go when we have 70-80% vaccinated.

Look at the horror occurring in India right now with their low vaccination rate.

This is truly 1+1=2 math at this point.
DHS, I think some of the root cause of the problem is that we actually have some in society questioning in a literal sense, if 1 + 1 actually does equal 2.... And then those that question the folks who question if 1 + 1 equals 2 often face a social media beat down by the blue check mark crew who more often than not are just engaging in a form of cyber bullying... Truly sad state of affairs in some cases these days...

dblskifanatic

So folks here are speaking pretty confidently about the prevention of getting covid but even the CDC will not go that far. If there is a new up tick in cases then it will be blamed on variants and then the new stage is set for mutations once again.

• We are still learning how vaccines will affect the spread of COVID-19. Until we know more about how vaccines will affect the spread of COVID-19, people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 should keep taking precautions in public places like wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others, avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces, and washing your hands often.

boston_e

So folks here are speaking pretty confidently about the prevention of getting covid but even the CDC will not go that far. If there is a new up tick in cases then it will be blamed on variants and then the new stage is set for mutations once again.
You are referencing old information in an attempt to fit your false narrative. Updated on the CDC website as of May 16th, 2021:

Choosing Safer Activities
Friends and family grilling outside

• If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic.
  • Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
  • If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, find a vaccine.

boston_e

And more: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/work.html

Vaccine effectiveness studies provide a growing body of evidence that mRNA COVID-19 vaccines offer similar protection in real-world conditions as they have in clinical trial settings, reducing the risk of COVID-19, including severe illness, among people who are fully vaccinated by 90 percent or more. Most vaccine effectiveness data now available are related to mRNA vaccines. Data related to the J&J/Janssen vaccine will be shared when available.

In addition to providing protection against COVID-19, there is increasing evidence that COVID-19 vaccines also provide protection against COVID-19 infections without symptoms (asymptomatic infections). COVID-19 vaccination can reduce the spread of disease overall, helping protect people around you.

dblskifanatic

You are referencing old information in an attempt to fit your false narrative. Updated on the CDC website as of May 16th, 2021:

Choosing Safer Activities
Friends and family grilling outside

• If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic.
  • Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
  • If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, find a vaccine.

So from the page you cited

For now, if you’ve been fully vaccinated:
  • You should still watch out for symptoms of COVID-19, especially if you’ve been around someone who is sick. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.
There are many cases and I guarantee more will surface, of infections after the vaccination. Will the rate slow, more than likely but I do hold my breath thinking that Covid vaccinations will solve the problem with this virus.

Last edited:

boston_e

• You should still watch out for symptoms of COVID-19, especially if you’ve been around someone who is sick. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.

Right, because even though vaccines are very effective, they are still not 100%. I'm not sure what your point is on this? Are you saying don't bother getting vaccinated because it is "only" very effective not 100% effective?

dblskifanatic

Right, because even though vaccines are very effective, they are still not 100%. I'm not sure what your point is on this? Are you saying don't bother getting vaccinated because it is "only" very effective not 100% effective?

Note: I am full vaccinated, but I am not going to think that I have nothing more to worry about. I think that there will be a new spike. Also, there are cases already being reported about people becoming infected after being fully vaccinated. It is not black and white - there are gray areas that we do not know about. Unfortunately, there has been many confusing messages through this whole thing. But I am not going to apologize for not trusting CDC WHO or the government agencies.

Also noted: From day one of the lock downs, my wife and I took to a stay outside approach. When restaurants opened up we visited then often, when we could fly we did, we drove to and from many states. We lived our lives as normal as possible. We are not anti vax or anti mask - but there have been some really flakey rules put out there in terms of mandates and they have been so different from state to state. I honestly believe that there are many people that think covid is floating around in the air outside of your home.

drjeff

There are many cases and I guarantee more will surface, of infections after the vaccination. Will the rate slow, more than likely but I do hold my breath thinking that Covid vaccinations will solve the problem with this virus.
True, and what we are seeing in those very small number of cases, is that those vaccinated who may end up contracting COVID, aren't having the severe COVID symptoms, the ones that can require hospitalization and potentially fatal outcomes, compared to those who haven't been vaccinated and contracted COVID.

The positives of those who have been vaccinated and may contract COVID at a later date, are definitely there

dblskifanatic

True, and what we are seeing in those very small number of cases, is that those vaccinated who may end up contracting COVID, aren't having the severe COVID symptoms, the ones that can require hospitalization and potentially fatal outcomes, compared to those who haven't been vaccinated and contracted COVID.

The positives of those who have been vaccinated and may contract COVID at a later date, are definitely there

I agree - Isn't that the point of the vaccine to teach you immune system on how the attack the virus? I do not argue your point. I have been only trying to make the point that the realm of possibility for mutations and continual spread is still a possibility. I do not think that everyone should be over confident.

cdskier

I agree - Isn't that the point of the vaccine to teach you immune system on how the attack the virus? I do not argue your point. I have been only trying to make the point that the realm of possibility for mutations and continual spread is still a possibility. I do not think that everyone should be over confident.

Of course it is still a possibility. No one ever said it wasn't. However it is a substantially LOWER possibility than without the vaccines. And the more people that get the vaccines, the lower that possibility chance continues to go. That should be the key takeaway. Unless we can 100% eliminate the virus globally, a "possibility" of something will always exist.

skiur

People get sick and die. This is a fact of life and will never change. Covid will never go away. It will be here forever just like the flu, common cold and other similar viruses. Should we hide under our bed for the rest of our lives because there is a slight chance we can catch covid and a minuscule chance it could kill us???

boston_e

People get sick and die. This is a fact of life and will never change. Covid will never go away. It will be here forever just like the flu, common cold and other similar viruses. Should we hide under our bed for the rest of our lives because there is a slight chance we can catch covid and a minuscule chance it could kill us???
No but with very few exceptions everyone should get vaccinated as soon as it is available to them.... and if everyone did it is very possible that it could all but go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.