• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

spiderpig

What a clusterfu&# it's going to be on peak days when the free parking is filled by 9. Even some Fridays I'd think. All to enhance the guest experience.

Fridays should be fine, since there's much more free parking. What a joke making all of Carinthia paid on the weekend. As an all-day skier, I wish they could make the peak day parking free if you arrive before 7:30. 😁

I'm sure this is a test for Okemo and Stowe, but I'm surprised the test wasn't done at Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is the most hilarious line in the whole social media release

These changes will help ensure faster, more efficient parking for all our valued guests, especially at our busiest times.

When has adding a toll point to anything in life resulted "faster and more efficient"? Answer: never

How many people are going to show up hoping for free parking, find it full, then have to backtrack to the paid areas? And then they get there and realize they don't have the app, so they pull off to the side of the road trying to download the app and whoops, forgot their apple ID and have to reset that.

I suppose I can appreciate some small weekend and holiday only paid premium lots to capture some more revenue, but this just seems over the top and destined to piss people off

MikeDeJ

This is the most hilarious line in the whole social media release

These changes will help ensure faster, more efficient parking for all our valued guests, especially at our busiest times.

When has adding a toll point to anything in life resulted "faster and more efficient"? Answer: never

How many people are going to show up hoping for free parking, find it full, then have to backtrack to the paid areas? And then they get there and realize they don't have the app, so they pull off to the side of the road trying to download the app and whoops, forgot their apple ID and have to reset that.

I suppose I can appreciate some small weekend and holiday only paid premium lots to capture some more revenue, but this just seems over the top and destined to piss people off
As a Mount Snow regular and mostly a mid week skier this wont effect me as much but it is going to be ugly. This is going to take some infrastructure/employees to cover all those lots, people they never have. The ticket scanners hardly work, how is the plate scanner going to work?? How about with snow covered cars while it is snowing? Going to be a shitshow with that much parking set aside. The Carinthia side with all the young adults is going to be really special (not really sure all of Carinthia is really going to be all paid??). The cars on a Sat will be backed up to Willmington!! Parked on Handle road, the Dover PD will be busy and will not put up with this (and should not).

Now if they sell a reasonable season parking pass, $100-$150, most people would pay and move on. I hear they are not going to and it is going to be $20 a day, that is bull shit and setting themselves up for a shitshow.

There is a way to make more money and not charge for parking, not pay for the employees in the lot, not pay for the infrastructure, charge more for the season pass!!!!!

gittist

Was up on their social media pages today that the bike park opens this Saturday for the season.

Getting upstaged by the uproar they created yesterday that they're going to be charging for parking for roughly 50% of their parking spaces this coming season on Weekends and Holidays and 2 lots (the 1 right behind the main base lodge and the 1 at Carinthia right next to the hill) seemingly every day this coming season....

Not a good thing for sure, and likely going to keep the Dover Police Department busy ticketing cars parked illegally on the various access roads when the free parking spaces are filled and folks don't want to pay for the closer in spaces
Now you know how the price reduction for next year's EPIC passes was financed!

"..improve the guest experience at Mount Snow Resort.." is B.S.!!

icecoast1

Fridays should be fine, since there's much more free parking. What a joke making all of Carinthia paid on the weekend. As an all-day skier, I wish they could make the peak day parking free if you arrive before 7:30. 😁
I'm surprised it took them that long to do this, Carinthia is the best place to park on the whole resort

p_levert

I have not posted on this thread since I am an Ikon passholder. But, yeah, Vail sucks!

mbedle

I'm sure this is a test for Okemo and Stowe, but I'm surprised the test wasn't done at Stowe.
Stowe has had paid parking for years. They expanded it a couple of years ago.

machski

Stowe has had paid parking for years. They expanded it a couple of years ago.
Paid parking or premium parking zones with an annual subscription for such? Most larger ski areas have premium paid parking now for years on weekends and holidays. Mount Snow has gone beyond that for next season, doesn't sound like you can do a season subscription and most will be paying DAILY to park on weekends and holidays there from the looks of it. That is a huge jump, more like Vail itself now than what I am used to seeing in the east for paid prrimo parking.

drjeff

Seems like they have greatly scaled back their Summer ops at Attitash as well, as all that is now listed is the Alpine Slide and Scenic Chairlift rides, no zip line, mountain biking, waterslide and other base area Summer attractions they have had listed up on their website....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, perhaps they liked their low staffing reduced lift operations business so much in the winter that they adopted the same for summer! Maybe they'll do Mountain Bike Mondays and Waterslide Wednesdays!

skiur

So glad Vail has not bought my home mountain, not sure what I would do if they did.

Greenmountainski

I live next to Tater, used to work there. All I know is whatever fool makes a change to that majestic golf course will forever be haunted by the ghost of Eric Griffiths. R.I.P. To the great superintendent

Mum skier

Seems like they have greatly scaled back their Summer ops at Attitash as well, as all that is now listed is the Alpine Slide and Scenic Chairlift rides, no zip line, mountain biking, waterslide and other base area Summer attractions they have had listed up on their website....
Two summers ago (2019) we drove past Attitash coming back from a hike somewhere close. My kids saw the water slides and begged to go. It was the end of the summer so I promised them we would go next year. Well “next year” was 2020 so no summer stuff at Attitash (parents quite relieved actually). This year we did a days skiing there and they saw the slides and remembered m promise. So I promised we would take them this summer. And just today I checked and only the slide open this year. So third year in a row I will disappoint them.
Quite relived TBH, if they are as short staffed in the summer as they were in the winter would be deja vue for lines all over again!

So instead I booked a night at Carter hut and we will hike wildcats, Carter and moriah on a 2 day, 1 night trip instead. So much better for character buildin!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't want to defend Vail but it's impossible to find staff for anything seasonal and low-paying right now. Labor market is tight as its ever been. Maybe that's the reason for the lack of summer ops? Not saying I'm giving Vail the benefit of the doubt but it's possible.

Edd

I don't want to defend Vail but it's impossible to find staff for anything seasonal and low-paying right now. Labor market is tight as its ever been. Maybe that's the reason for the lack of summer ops? Not saying I'm giving Vail the benefit of the doubt but it's possible.
Staffing definitely not helping. Vail might not mind a bit about that, as summer attractions aren’t always profitable. They still have a winter staffing issue though. This next ski season will make or break Vail for me, and it’s all about Wildcat. I’m not asking for miracles but if it runs similar when it’s essentially freed from pandemic restrictions then that’s it, I guess.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sure staffing is a major issue right now in the service industry.

But look right down the street at Cranmore.

Or how about up the hill at Bretton Woods

They both seem to be gearing up for full operations.

There's also Storeyland and Santa's Village in full swing in the area.