• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

2planks2coasts

FB teaser says there's a new country with the new resorts. Masella, Spain? Kiroro, Japan?

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

Nice. 4 Japanese resorts. From the websites, looks like 3 are truly "Indy style" small scale places. Tazawako looks to be a Waterville Valley type of lift served place, but with cat access to some sweet looking sidecountry. Now, what are the odds Japan lets American visitors in this winter????

Last edited:

Bosco DaSkia

Shimokura, Geto Kogan, Tazawako and Okunakayama..... nice, the Tohoku powder tour!

https://www.japanskitours.com/indy-packages.html

course-map.jpg

course.gif

demo_02.png

course_guide-2.jpg

PAabe

Any thoughts on which eastern Indy areas typically have decent early season skiing, like pre Christmas? Bolton Valley and Jay Peak or not really?

jimmywilson69

I skied Jay Peak the 2nd weekend of December and the place was damn near 100% open with shin deep snow everywhere in the trees. I've also seen that they have like 1 or 2 runs open that same time of year. Can't speak to Bolton's early season prowess.

snoseek

Any thoughts on which eastern Indy areas typically have decent early season skiing, like pre Christmas? Bolton Valley and Jay Peak or not really?
If things are dry in the natural snow dept cannon is pretty aggressive with the snowmaking these days believe it or not

Zand

Don't count on Jay early season unless they get natural right from the get go. Been there a couple times in early December with only Jet open and it was a pretty terrifying experience. Can't speak for Bolton. Cannon does decent early season, especially the past few years.

I've always said why bother driving that far if it's all snowmaking terrain anyway. If there isn't good natural snow, you might as well kill off some days at local areas. Berkshire East has gotten pretty good with early season. I think Pats does pretty good too. But definitely don't waste your Jay days skiing their WROD. Obviously if they get good early season snow then my point is moot.

KustyTheKlown

i find booking a speific mountain in Vermont way in advance is always a foolish game. if I know I am going to be skiing but am not sure exactly where, I get a room in rutland or montpelier so I can ski anywhere. most people don't want to drive >1 hour each way to ski each day of a trip. i don't mind. i like it. i put my boots on the full blast floor heater and drink coffee and smoke pot and listen to a podcast. i also wake up around 6 am no matter what so that works for me

maybe also book a room around manchester to put soVT in the mix, so long as the hotel is free to book and free to cancel til late in the game.

PAabe

Thanks for the advice - If the weather is cooperative I've got some time the week before Christmas to maybe head north. I like the montpelier idea, don't mind driving and listening to my tunes, not sure how popular that idea would be with others.

Definitely need to hold out to get an idea of the conditions I guess. Places by me might not even be open yet.

abc

i find booking a speific mountain in Vermont way in advance is always a foolish game
Same here.

Also for pre-Christmas, there’s no reason to “book” whatsoever! There’s so much available you might just walk up!

(I’ve been doing that, up to Christmas eve!)

PAabe

Just bought the pass on one of the hottest days of the year...

Slightly annoyed that the $9 pass fee was not included in the advertised price (I know big whoop) but otherwise very excited to ski these places.

crystalmountainskier

Just bought the pass on one of the hottest days of the year...

Slightly annoyed that the $9 pass fee was not included in the advertised price (I know big whoop) but otherwise very excited to ski these places.
Yeah really obnoxious. I expect that crap from Ticketmaster, not a company marketing independent ski resort passes.

KustyTheKlown

there is nothing at all obnoxious about this extremely fairly priced product administered by a tiny and dedicated team charging a reasonable service fee. get a grip and pick your battles.

ThatGuy

Why? The whole thing is going to them anyway right?
Maybe they have to pay a third party to host the website or process the transaction. Personally $9 extra for an extremely good deal isn’t a problem and any money of mine not going to Vail is a plus. For complete transparency they could say $189+$9 service fee though I suppose.