• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Geoff

I think it's a HIPAA thing. You can't volunteer to waive the privacy requirements.

I can never get my doctor to email me a PT prescription. I just don't have the option to even waive my own personal information.
Err. HIPAA is privacy between you and your health care providers. Any business in the country can demand to see your vaccination certificate before doing business with you. You’re free to decline and take your business elsewhere. Vail already knows my birthday and my name. There’s nothing otherwise private on my COVID-19 vaccination certificate.

ne_skier

This has me a bit concerned for new regulations and the Covid signs being re-installed...

Masks indoors is a possibility and is already a thing for some resorts. Lift capacity restrictions and outdoor masking most certainly will not come back. You stand a greater chance of finding yourself in the hospital due to a skiing accident than a covid transmission while outside in 20-degree weather, potentially with wind. I couldn't care less about things like reservations, which for the most part turned out to be less of a PITA than I was expecting (For most resorts it pretty much means buying your ticket in advance), but the outdoor masking was a total bitch last winter. I am unaware of any scientific study that shows a high risk of covid transmission when in a relatively small group outside (with many of those people being vaccinated), let alone one so pressing that it convinces resorts to suicide their profits.

drjeff

Masks indoors is a possibility and is already a thing for some resorts. Lift capacity restrictions and outdoor masking most certainly will not come back. You stand a greater chance of finding yourself in the hospital due to a skiing accident than a covid transmission while outside in 20-degree weather, potentially with wind. I couldn't care less about things like reservations, which for the most part turned out to be less of a PITA than I was expecting (For most resorts it pretty much means buying your ticket in advance), but the outdoor masking was a total bitch last winter. I am unaware of any scientific study that shows a high risk of covid transmission when in a relatively small group outside (with many of those people being vaccinated), let alone one so pressing that it convinces resorts to suicide their profits.

Been at Mount Snow this weekend for Oktoberfest, 3 rounds of golf, and my son did DH mountain biking.

3k or so folks at Oktoberfest. Masks outside not required, short of some employees. Very few patrons wearing masks. Signs on doors to the buildings saying that masks are required inside the building, were prominently displayed on ALL doors. Were there folks inside, without mask on and not being harrased about it? 100% yes

If infection rates stay low, ultimately the indoor mask wearing thing may end up very well being a "recommendation" and not a requirement is my current take based on personal experiences...

ne_skier

It looks as if VT’s mask requirement hasn’t been in place since June, if they bring it back obviously things will change. If I had to guess, if anyone will be requiring masks, it will be larger resort chains like Alterra and Vail. Vail already committed to a long list of Covid precautionary measures that include indoor masking regardless of vaccination status. Will be interesting to see what other resorts do.

gittist

Is it true that Vail Resorts is in the running to buy Jay Peak and Burke?

thebigo

One of the lawyers on here would be far more knowledgeable on the topic than me but wonder if vail owning five large mountains in one state would trigger anti-trust concerns.

2Planker

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

It sure did for LBO/ASC in 1996. They had to unload both Cranmore and Waterville Valley for 17.2M

https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareamanagement/americanskiingcompany.php
Really depends how a market is defined. Not necessarily by State. One can't really say places as far apart as Jay and Snow really compete for the same skiers. I believe Jay's primary draw is from Quebec while Snow really competes with Stratton Bromley Magic Hunter Windham for NYC area skiers.

drjeff

One of the lawyers on here would be far more knowledgeable on the topic than me but wonder if vail owning five large mountains in one state would trigger anti-trust concerns.

If the IKON pass can have both Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine, doubt *if* Vail Resorts happens to add Jay to its portfolio that it would grab any VT attention, especially given IKON having K, Stratton and Sugarbush in its VT offerings already...

machski

If the IKON pass can have both Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine, doubt *if* Vail Resorts happens to add Jay to its portfolio that it would grab any VT attention, especially given IKON having K, Stratton and Sugarbush in its VT offerings already...
How do you figure that? Vail already has Mt. Snow, Okemo and Stowe in VT. Probably 3 of the top 4 drawing resorts in state. Alterra only owns Stratton and Sugarbush, Killington is a limited partner on the Ikon Pass. As are Loon/SR/SL while Vail owns outright Crotched/Sunapee/Attitash/Wildcat. I'd say Vail is nearing the point where another large NE resort could tip them into antitrust. Alterra, not so much as they only own 2 resorts right now.

ASC had to divest WV and Cranmore to aquire K and Mount Snow into their growing portfolio. Those were added after Cranmore and WV and was a bit surprising as at the time, those were the smallest and lowest drawing resorts in their NE portfolio. I never thought that really was a concession as far as these things go. It was like plucking off a bad eyebrow.

snoseek

If a group is gonna buy them I would personally like to see them go to boyne as they seem to have somewhat of a clue how to run a ski area.

BenedictGomez

From their perspective, it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission, plus, I think if they really wanted it they might take the shot on goal that the last thing State of Vermont politicians would like is for this issue to keep coming up in the weekly Vermont media for months or even years as they fight it.

snoseek

Do they look at this kind of thing by state or more by region?

ThatGuy

Id say if you live in the NJ,PA region epic already has a monopoly on day-tripable ski areas.

thebigo

If a group is gonna buy them I would personally like to see them go to boyne as they seem to have somewhat of a clue how to run a ski area.
What is the last property boyne added? Loon 15 years ago? I know boyne spun crystal off a number of years ago to buy out a sibling. Boyne appears more focused on improving their current properties than acquiring more.

Nobody ever mentions MCP, I got no idea on their operations but they appear to be continuously growing and may want to diversify geographically.

I would like to see Pacific acquire Burke. Ragged/Burke would make for a good pass and both have a strong race culture.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Id say if you live in the NJ,PA region epic already has a monopoly on day-tripable ski areas.
Not even close. The biggest players in NEPA are Blue and Camelback. And they were just allowed to merge.

In southern PA it comes closer but that's not real relevant to folks from NJ.