• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

FWIW - Ski Magazine Top 20 Resorts in the East

slatham

Have to admit I’m really happy about the lack of Epic in top 10. I do think many of those resorts - Stowe in particular - would rank higher on terrain and snow. But the overall ski experience is not just terrain and snow. I mean if the snow is ruined quickly because the terrain is overrun with skiers then rankings should decline.

Mum skier

Have fun

Several years ago, when our kids were younger we went to Smugglers Notch on the basis of the no. 1 in the East (seems they never change that) and the family friendly rating from Ski magazine.
How can a resort with lifts that are so hard to get on for small kids rate as family friendly? And what about families where kids outnumber adult, how are they meant to get up 2 person lifts. And the highly rated kids program where the kids actually spend 50% of their lesson sitting on a slow lift, so who knows if it was any good or not.

It was my mistake for not digging a little deeper. But I certainly cancelled my Ski Mag subscription after that.

BenedictGomez

I'm from Jersey. When I was a kid the mafia was really bad in places like Jersey City, Hoboken, Paramus, Montclair, etc... There were businesses that had to pay "insurance" money so that bad things didnt "happen" to their store. This is covered a bit in The Sopranos if you're familiar with that show.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious Vail Resorts will be advertising in SKI Magazine next year. Or not. It's their choice, after all.

BenedictGomez

Several years ago, when our kids were younger we went to Smugglers Notch on the basis of the no. 1 in the East (seems they never change that) and the family friendly rating from Ski magazine.
How can a resort with lifts that are so hard to get on for small kids rate as family friendly? And what about families where kids outnumber adult, how are they meant to get up 2 person lifts. And the highly rated kids program where the kids actually spend 50% of their lesson sitting on a slow lift, so who knows if it was any good or not.

It was my mistake for not digging a little deeper. But I certainly cancelled my Ski Mag subscription after that.

If we stay in the east, my daughter will be spending as many days as possible at Smuggler's Notch. I know enough about ski school from working in one to know they're fantastic, lifts notwithstanding.

machski

Look at the top 3 in the west:
1. Sun Valley
2. Deer Valley
3. Aspen

Sun Valley is a classic and the Cold Springs expansion adds a little more teeth to just the classic terrain. Deer Valley, ehh on the skiing side. Aspen, assuming we are including ALL the Aspen hills is worthy, especially Highlands. If its just Ajax itself, again Classic mountain but ehh on the skiing side.

skiur

When did Killington get 4000 feet of vert? You would think they would have said something about that over the summer! :)

x10003q

19. Hidden Valley, PA - vertical, 450 feet.
17. Seven Springs, PA - vertical, 750 feet
2. Holiday Valley, NY. vertical 750 feet

Hidden Valley is the newest joke added to the other 2 jokes on the list. The simple answer is nobody would ski these places if they were closer to choices available in VT, NH, Me, Quebec, NYS Adirondacks/Catskills. Popularity should never replace actual skiing experience. These areas have some of the worst crowding and worst terrain in the East.

Smugglers #1 is another periodic joke on the list. It has awsome terrain and horrible lifts. If you want to have a 1970s nostalgia weekend, this is your place. You can get to enjoy 20 minute waits freezing in the lift corral followed by an even colder 20 minute ride up the mountain. Where are the wool ponchos when you need them?? The good news is you have plenty of time to eat your bag lunch during the 40 minutes it takes to get up the mountain. There is no need to waste 1 second eating lunch in the lodge.

ThatGuy

The omission of Saddleback and Magic is also a big mistake. Plus MRG is #5 but the quote for it is;
“Mad River is the best in the East. It is considered to be among the hardest. But it has easy and intermediate terrain that is beautiful. I love the Vermont vibe, the single chair and the simple but great lodge. Do you you want to go to the real Vermont or to a slick resort? Vermont’s where it’s at.”

meff

I'm from Jersey. When I was a kid the mafia was really bad in places like Jersey City, Hoboken, Paramus, Montclair, etc... There were businesses that had to pay "insurance" money so that bad things didnt "happen" to their store. This is covered a bit in The Sopranos if you're familiar with that show.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious Vail Resorts will be advertising in SKI Magazine next year. Or not. It's their choice, after all.

Ever since Vail stopped advertising in Ski/Skiing years ago the mountains have been dropping in the rankings.