• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First?

Mum skier

A number of places are “meant” to open next Friday or Saturday (19th, 20th). From Epic including Hunter, Stowe, Snow, Okemo and Wildcat.
Not too hopeful though.......

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

A number of places are “meant” to open next Friday or Saturday (19th, 20th). From Epic including Hunter, Stowe, Snow, Okemo and Wildcat.
Not too hopeful though.......
Would be decent for them to get real before the last minute with folks making plans.

PAabe

Beech looks ready to open. Everyone else I have looked at, many have dusting from last night, but don't seem to have significant snowmaking done. Most of the vail webcams are epically unavailable

Last edited:

FBGM

Not cold enough in Poconos. Nothing more to report there.

Pushing snow on Superstar for their race that is getting way to close for comfort

IceEidolon

Beech looks ready to open. Everyone else I have looked at, many have dusting from last night, but don't seem to have significant snowmaking done. Most of the vail webcams are epically unavailable
Beech looks decent in their one working webcam, but I've been in those boots before (granted in other places). No way they have enough snow top to bottom to push out right now and open, not from 24 hours of work. There's wall to wall coverage but that's only barely covering grass and rock except for the 50x100 spots actually under the guns. They're no better or worse off for coverage than Sugar. That said, I don't see why with another couple decent nights they couldn't open Upper and Lower Shawneehaw with good coverage on their scheduled opening date - they just aren't there yet.

Smellytele

K picked up a few inches overnight, snow is sticky but better than the alternative. Crowd felt busy first thing but a bunch of one and done today.View attachment 52194View attachment 52194
I was there today as well. Crowded 9:30 to about noon. Then it cleared out in the lift line. The 1 run was still pretty crowded. Snow wasn’t bad. New skis/ bindings and boots performed well and passed the test.

IceEidolon

Beech looks decent in their one working webcam, but I've been in those boots before (granted in other places). No way they have enough snow top to bottom to push out right now and open, not from 24 hours of work.
24 hours, no, but Sugar or (probably) Beech could do it in a pinch on 36 hours.

Sugar is open for the season with a high speed six and 1200' of vertical drop as of 9am today.

Smellytele

So while at K yesterday a young woman is in the lift line without her board on. Get all the way to the the next in line at the chair and still doesn’t. Liftie tells her she has to have her board on. She proceeds to block the whole area as her boyfriend gets on the chair alone.
She finally gets the board on and an ambassador gets on with her to help her. Almost falls off. She gets to the top and wipes out. Saw her a few more times wiping out. I understand all of it except not having her board on. As others have said north ridge this time of year is not for beginners.
She was dressed really nice as most skiing Asians usually are.

2Planker

I remember a buddy's wife early season @ SR many moons ago.

One run, T2 to Sunday Punch, started at 9am, finished at 12:30pm. That was it. All morning, 1 run.
Done for the season !
Never returned to the ski house. Paid in full.
They did get married the next summer.
Then got divorced about 10 years later....

PAabe

So who is still supposed to open this weekend? Beech and Sugarbush on Saturday possibly taking #3 and #4, Sugarloaf maybe being #5 on Monday?

urungus

These opening dates for Vail resorts are likely to be postponed, but no official announcements yet
  • Nov. 19: Hunter (NY), Mt. Snow (VT), Stowe (VT), Wildcat (NH)
  • Nov. 20: Okemo (VT)
  • Nov. 24: Mt. Sunapee (NH)

cdskier

These opening dates for Vail resorts are likely to be postponed, but no official announcements yet
  • Nov. 19: Hunter (NY), Mt. Snow (VT), Stowe (VT), Wildcat (NH)
  • Nov. 20: Okemo (VT)
  • Nov. 24: Mt. Sunapee (NH)
While they may not have official new target dates, the announcements on social media late this afternoon from these resorts looked pretty official to me that they're being postponed (Mt Sunapee hasn't said that yet, but they have extra days before their target so they could still think there's a chance of hitting that one).

thebigo

So who is still supposed to open this weekend? Beech and Sugarbush on Saturday possibly taking #3 and #4, Sugarloaf maybe being #5 on Monday?
As of this morning, all obviously subject to change:

Sugarbush has day tickets for sale Saturday
Loon - Friday
Sugarloaf - Monday
Sunday River - Thanksgiving
Stratton - Day before Thanksgiving
Bretton woods - not yet for sale