• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

MadKitty

So the latest rumor in the MWV is that the pump for upper mtn snowmaking at wildcat is broken. Unknown if/when it will get fixed this winter. :mad:

drjeff

Attitash just announced that they will have opening day next Friday the 10th on their social media platforms

eatskisleep

So the latest rumor in the MWV is that the pump for upper mtn snowmaking at wildcat is broken. Unknown if/when it will get fixed this winter. :mad:
Lol The Cat loves having snowmaking problems... going all the way back to the pre-Peak days! But you would think that now with Vail’s pull, there should be no issue getting pump parts.

MadKitty

Yes that's part of the fun! Never know when a groomer could turn into a bump run for a season!

If they are delayed in fixing upper mtn snowmaking maybe it's a covid supply chain problem? They had trouble getting parts to fix the bobcat chair last winter.

Hoodoo

When the snow is good at Blue Knob it's a very good place. Has some really good steeps and trees. When it's not it's really bad. Went to college in Johnstown so I've skied that place in all kinds of conditions. Haven't been back in 20+ years. Going to try ad change that this year if the snow is good.

It's just baffling Vail can't see the value in entry level skiers on a budget.
+1 regarding Blue Knob. The terrain is funky. Totally uncrowded midweek. When the snow is good, it is GOOD. When bad, it's absolutely horrible. Like worst of the East Coast worst ice sheet. I once hit it back in ~97 or so with 2+ foot of blower. It was insane. As was the access road.

If during the planning process, they could have somehow extended over (up) to Turkey Point or down to Bullscrick falls, they would have had some serious terrain. Mind you, it would have been more for current ownership to neglect, but, still. :)

JoeB-Z

I skied Sunapee today and Okemo twice earlier this week. Okemo had enough scratchy surfaces to be annoying. Plenty skied off by 11AM. Sunapee was rather nice today (opening day). Better groomed on limited terrain and they had to have rain yesterday. Sunapee has no natural snow to speak of, top to bottom. I think they will be much slower to open new terrain than Okemo. Facilities are pretty bad at both. Heated tent at my home mountain Magic and plenty of porta potties is lux in comparison.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I skied Sunapee today and Okemo twice earlier this week. Okemo had enough scratchy surfaces to be annoying. Plenty skied off by 11AM. Sunapee was rather nice today (opening day). Better groomed on limited terrain and they had to have rain yesterday. Sunapee has no natural snow to speak of, top to bottom. I think they will be much slower to open new terrain than Okemo. Facilities are pretty bad at both. Heated tent at my home mountain Magic and plenty of porta potties is lux in comparison.

How so in regards to the facilities at Sunapee? I thought their base lodge at the HSQ was nice enough. The Spruce lodge is obviously quite tired

JoeB-Z

How so in regards to the facilities at Sunapee? I thought their base lodge at the HSQ was nice enough. The Spruce lodge is obviously quite tired
I just mean vaccine card to get in the lodge, no bags allowed, premade food. The base lodge in itself is quite nice. It also has an elevator to save your aching legs a bit. I booted up at the car and used a porta potty on the far side of the lot. I hate walking in boots.

Smellytele

I just mean vaccine card to get in the lodge, no bags allowed, premade food. The base lodge in itself is quite nice. It also has an elevator to save your aching legs a bit. I booted up at the car and used a porta potty on the far side of the lot. I hate walking in boots.
Need to upgrade to boots with walking mode - helps a little anyway.

2Planker

Yes that's part of the fun! Never know when a groomer could turn into a bump run for a season!

If they are delayed in fixing upper mtn snowmaking maybe it's a covid supply chain problem? They had trouble getting parts to fix the bobcat chair last winter.
First they have to hire a few Maintenance guys. Then they can figure out what's wrong, and what to order. Then we'll hear about how everything is all the supply chain fault...

Last edited:

MadKitty

They were making snow on snowcat this afternoon.

Multiple employees confirmed that they have been unable to pump water to the upper mtn. The story is that they had the pumps rebuilt this summer and one of them does not work. I could not get any intel on if/when they will be fixed.

chuckstah

An enhanced experience coming to Crotched. No night skiing in December. Looks to include Christmas week. Epic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-195922.png
    Screenshot_20211204-195922.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 25

deadheadskier

Staff member
Usually the first week or 2 they don't do night skiing or I've seen some weird midweek hours like 10-6. But none during Christmas week? Wow