• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

drjeff

All the skiing events are going to be at snowbasin and deer valley? What is the plan for downhill?

The 2002 downhill was originally slated to be held at Snowbird. A bunch of logistical issues and concerns from some of the same groups now opposing the LCC Gondola, had the planing committee moving it to Snowbasin, and in turn truly ended up giving Snowbasin some world class infrastructure, and the Bernhard Russi designed Men's and Women's Downhill and Super G courses (The Grizzly for the men and Wildflower for the women if memory serves me correctly)

Guessing that Snowbasin could be used again for speed events with just some relatively minor tweaking.

Pretty obvious that Deer Valley knows how to do a World Class freestyle venue/comp, and likely could host the slalom again as they did in 02.

The reality is if for various reasons Park City is "allowed" to host the GS races (which would be such a travesty especially with the headquarters of the US Ski and Snowboard association roughly a mile away) guessing that if the protesting groups don't want any LCC or BCC venues that you could get a FIS homologated GS hill at either Deer Valley or Snowbasin.

As for the 1/2 pipe (if that's still even an event if/when Salt Lake City gets another games) and other Freestyle Venues, the area around the ski jumping and bobsled/luge tracks as well as the Woodward Park City facility nearby I am guessing could be used.

Something tells me though that if SLC gets another games, that the organizing committee will be able to cut through some of the red tape around some of the likely venues one way or another when push comes to shove

thetrailboss

Staff member

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's a question. The town guidelines is the comfortable carrying capacity is 13,700 skiers. Is that both PCMR plus Canyons? I'd assume so.

Why doesn't the town say, "build whatever you want, but you have to put in a reservation system with a hard cap at 13,700 skiers. If you want to go above that threshold, tell us how many skiers you want to serve at peak capacity and the community will tell you what is needed for the town to support that growth in the way of employee housing, increased parking and other transportation improvements."

I don't think that's unreasonable for any municipality to ask of high attendance attractions or very large employers. I think of Boston's pitch to Amazon for HQ2 of Suffolk Downs. That area of the city would become a total nightmare with a 25k workforce increase without substantial transportation improvements. That really should be the responsibility of the business to fund, but instead the citizenry typically funds it plus offers tax breaks to the employer.

machski

Here's a question. The town guidelines is the comfortable carrying capacity is 13,700 skiers. Is that both PCMR plus Canyons? I'd assume so.

Why doesn't the town say, "build whatever you want, but you have to put in a reservation system with a hard cap at 13,700 skiers. If you want to go above that threshold, tell us how many skiers you want to serve at peak capacity and the community will tell you what is needed for the town to support that growth in the way of employee housing, increased parking and other transportation improvements."

I don't think that's unreasonable for any municipality to ask of high attendance attractions or very large employers. I think of Boston's pitch to Amazon for HQ2 of Suffolk Downs. That area of the city would become a total nightmare with a 25k workforce increase without substantial transportation improvements. That really should be the responsibility of the business to fund, but instead the citizenry typically funds it plus offers tax breaks to the employer.
13,700 for the largest ski area in America seems vastly too small. I bet that # is for PC alone. After all, the Canyons base etc isn't really in the city proper, it's North of town.

FBGM

We would do more then 13k skier visits at PC most saturdays back in the day, before Canhole merger. I’d assume PC/Can together now is 20k+ busy days. DV maxes out around 8k but no one really knows that exact number.

thetrailboss

Staff member
13,700 for the largest ski area in America seems vastly too small. I bet that # is for PC alone. After all, the Canyons base etc isn't really in the city proper, it's North of town.
My sense is PC alone. The deal was struck with POWDR and PC. POWDR did not have anything to do with Canyons. But that again begs the question of why PC and Vail did not revisit the agreement when the two areas were connected. If I had to guess, Vail figured that it was vague enough that they could skate by.

thetrailboss

Staff member

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Got an ad in my inbox from indeed...one of the postings was an uncertified instructor at Winter Park.... $20/hr. No cert and no experience, doesn't even mention a requirement of getting a cert 1.

Vail may suck but $20/hr is gonna suck up a ton of talent in the industry.

2Planker

Got an ad in my inbox from indeed...one of the postings was an uncertified instructor at Winter Park.... $20/hr. No cert and no experience, doesn't even mention a requirement of getting a cert 1.

Vail may suck but $20/hr is gonna suck up a ton of talent in the industry.
Ha Ha That'll never happen in NH
AT/WC are not even paying groomers or Lift mechanics $20/hr

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think $20 is still too low. That's less than $12 an hour in 1999 dollars. We still have a ways to go for wages to catch up with inflation.

Given what ski areas charge for lessons, they are still screwing over instructors at that rate.

2Planker

Lift Mechanic at Attitash- tiers of $16/$19.78/$23.90 with a promise it goes to at least $20/hr this October with the company-wide wage increase.
Even a zero experience burger flipper starts at $16/hr.
Anyone worth their weight, with experience has already left AT/WC.
Good luck to em finding quality employees with experience who want to work for Vail

Last edited: