• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

LONGBOARDR

100% so long as it's feasible, as it makes no sense not to. Although that makes me wonder why it wasnt done in the first place. I'd love to see the return of the short-double to the top as well, though I doubt that happens.
If I remember correctly, it was pretty close to going ahead before the scandal. It was funding availability I believe. Cost was around 7 M, again my memory is fading.
I do however remember at that time Bill joking about the Bicknell thrush

mbedle

If I remember correctly, it was pretty close to going ahead before the scandal. It was funding availability I believe. Cost was around 7 M, again my memory is fading.
I do however remember at that time Bill joking about the Bicknell thrush
The permit application has the lift (called Power Line) upper terminal near the beginning of St. George's Prayer and going up the 601 trail. I think someone already mentioned that. Exhibit P1 - EPSC Plan Overall C5-01 copy.jpg

RH29

100% so long as it's feasible, as it makes no sense not to. Although that makes me wonder why it wasnt done in the first place. I'd love to see the return of the short-double to the top as well, though I doubt that happens.
I'd be ok with that on the condition that it is similar to Castlerock at Sugarbush - an EXTREMELY low capacity, slow double. Max it at 360 people per hour and it shouldn't affect conditions too much.

machski

The permit application has the lift (called Power Line) upper terminal near the beginning of St. George's Prayer and going up the 601 trail. I think someone already mentioned that. View attachment 54759
Yes, it was called power line 6 IIRC and actually what hung the project up was seasonal streams too close to at least one planned tower footings that tanked the ACT250 approval. This was a big problem too as they had planned on this lift when they built the Stateside lodge/hotel complex basically over the base of the Bonnie (they had removed the base terminal already for that build). So when they lost approval, they had to shorten and move Bonnie's base terminal uphill of the lodge.

deadheadskier

Staff member
All you folks clamoring for massive investment on mountain in a hurry (they need to replace Bonnie, Freezer and Jet in the next five years etc.), why?

Jay ain't that broken. They can milk those lifts a lot longer. Plenty of other mountains have with their lifts. And none of Jay's lift ages or speed is catastrophic to the business like say the Attitash triple.

What if Pacific just approaches Jay like they did Ragged? Steady improvements and investments commensurate with the business growth.

Focus on snowmaking first while getting their feet under themselves with the water park, lodging etc, then maybe get to a lift in 3-4 years.

I have a lot of confidence in Pacific based upon what I've read, seen and experienced with Ragged. They have a very loyal and pleased clientele there. They take the same approach with Jay and I see good things while preserving current character which is still great. Not as good as it once was. I miss the dirtier Jay

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, it was called power line 6 IIRC and actually what hung the project up was seasonal streams too close to at least one planned tower footings that tanked the ACT250 approval. This was a big problem too as they had planned on this lift when they built the Stateside lodge/hotel complex basically over the base of the Bonnie (they had removed the base terminal already for that build). So when they lost approval, they had to shorten and move Bonnie's base terminal uphill of the lodge.
Well, was it documented that they lost the Act 250 permit or was it that Bill did not have the money because Q needed to buy himself some goodies?

(It could have been both).

thetrailboss

Staff member
All you folks clamoring for massive investment on mountain in a hurry (they need to replace Bonnie, Freezer and Jet in the next five years etc.), why?

Jay ain't that broken. They can milk those lifts a lot longer. Plenty of other mountains have with their lifts. And none of Jay's lift ages or speed is catastrophic to the business like say the Attitash triple.
True.
What if Pacific just approaches Jay like they did Ragged? Steady improvements and investments commensurate with the business growth.

Focus on snowmaking first while getting their feet under themselves with the water park, lodging etc, then maybe get to a lift in 3-4 years.
Snowmaking is not a bad idea. And I'd be more concerned if they came out promising to do all these improvements up front. It's easy to get in over your head.
I have a lot of confidence in Pacific based upon what I've read, seen and experienced with Ragged. They have a very loyal and pleased clientele there. They take the same approach with Jay and I see good things while preserving current character which is still great. Not as good as it once was. I miss the dirtier Jay
Probably less crowded.

BenedictGomez

Focus on snowmaking first
Focus on snowmaking first with at Jay Peak? I dont get that. It's the only place east of the Mississippi I can book an actual vacation in April almost no fear. There've been multiple years I've skied trees at Jay Peak when Stowe & Smuggler's Notch were basically WROD'ing it places (if they were open).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Focus on snowmaking first with at Jay Peak? I dont get that. It's the only place east of the Mississippi I can book an actual vacation in April almost no fear. There've been multiple years I've skied trees at Jay Peak when Stowe & Smuggler's Notch were basically WROD'ing it places (if they were open).

The quality of man made snow at Jay is the the absolute worst imaginable. I mean they blow piles so wet they won't open the trail while guns are going. It's just awful. And with the wind there all the natural gets blown right off in places. Whatever those two intermediate trails are off the top of the tram- terrible in my expirence.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Sure. They have the most reliable natural in the East and preserve the snow well into the spring due to being so far North and at decent elevation.

But they're still in the East and subject to thaw / freeze cycles. Jay can be downright terrible during snow droughts. I think investing in improvements there would go a long ways towards helping with recovering from thaws and offer insurance to offer a decent early season product during years mother nature is slow to help.

JPTracker

Snowmaking improvements will not be cheap. Their main problem is lack of water. The only solution is to install a pipeline down the mountain to the river. Not cheap! Then they will need to upgrade their pumps and snowmaking system on the mountain. Last season there were trails that they never got to with snowmaking, most noticeably Uler's.

Edd

My wife is not a fan of Jay as the non tree runs can get very icy and scrapped off pretty quickly. The trails you use to go from one section of the mtn to another especially.
The tram side area near JFK can be pretty lean as well.
Last time I was at Jay was with the wife and on piste was scary icy. Woods were not in great shape either. It was her first time there and she isn’t keen to return. As a bonus, the tram kind of freaked her out so fun trip all around. Enjoyed the Tram Haus, though.

Zand

Jay has always been and always will be hit or miss conditions-wise with not much in between. So great when you hit it though!
Especially for a non-glade skier. Not even really worth going there if you're not into the woods at least a little bit. Groomers are better almost anywhere else. Been there plenty of times when the woods were bliss and the groomers were downright scary at the same time.

ThatGuy

Also the trail/lift setup isn’t very conducive to lapping groomers (good setup for lapping is something like 4Runner). Add onto that the propensity for wind holds and ice and you have a recipe for not the greatest on piste skiing most of the time…

machski

Here are my thoughts for whatever that's worth. Pacific says they have vying to aquire Jay for three years now. I would take it during that time, they have done more than typical due diligence and have likely had many conversations with SW on what Jay has and what it lacks. I agree that while many of the lifts are old and the Flyer is one of 3 NA Leitner HSQ's in existence, they are all fairly reliable and are not immediately in need of replacement. I have to imagine snowmaking is at the very top of their investment plans. Jay is the crown jewel if not of the entire portfolio, their Eastern one for sure. It will need to appeal to more than the "core" skier's/riders that enjoy the woods and off piste experiences. Jay cannot deliver on that in the varied weather of NE right now. I've had plenty of awesome days at Jay, but I've had a few where I missed on a storm and it was absolutely horrid. I would expect Pacific to look at grooming too along with the snowmaking. Perhaps an additional winch cat or larger cats to help with recovery on the groomers as that is definitely shorter $$ than snowmaking boosts.

As for lifts, I would be shocked if they changed out anything prior to Bonnie. It is the one long, slow FG chair on the hill that has been the talk of a detach for ages. A new lift should also land a bit further uphill than the current to ease flow (I know, again the hardcore don't want that, but even SW has said the lift needs to land higher in interviews). Then possibly the Flyer of parts/support disappear from L-P especially. I would expect the jet lastly.

Finally, Will be interesting to see if Pacific rekindles the West expansion at some point down the road.