• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best (or better) ski schools for toddlers to learn in PA, NY, or S.VT

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That's what I would recommend.

Not sure what your level of patience is but perhaps take her and just have her supported between your legs for a few runs up/down the carpet if you really want to scratch the itch. Don't worry about teaching her- just a few glides then let her play in the snow and buy some chicken tenders. Go in with the attitude of- if she actually gets on the skis it's a bonus- just get her in the clothes, play in the snow, buy the tenders/hot chocolate, build a snowman, let her watch some other kids go down- it needs to be a positive experience. Some ski areas will let you bring a sled and while you obviously can't bring it up the hill just pull her around a flat part where she can see others having fun.

BUT...patience is KEY. I'm seen many-a-dad dragging their kicking/screaming kid along in the snow FORCING them to ski and that is the worst possible thing. I would only go this route if you are PATIENT and willing to spend the $$$ knowing it's a 50/50 shot she actually gets on skis.

fbrissette

From everyone's responses it seems like maybe I should just wait a year until she's 4 then, and perhaps there's a reason why most ski areas don't start until that age. Either rent or buy a cheap ski swap deal to play in NJ when it snows & call it a day.
Brother in law is a neurologist. He said if a child can ride a three-wheel bike easily with strength, they are ready to start skiing. Weighing and unweigthing legs repetitively is a complex neuro-muscular skill which is acquired between the age of 2 and a half and 4 depending on the child. If the child has not acquired this skill, taking them to the ski hill will be a waste of time since his/her brain ain't ready.

skiur

Brother in law is a neurologist. He said if a child can ride a three-wheel bike easily with strength, they are ready to start skiing. Weighing and unweigthing legs repetitively is a complex neuro-muscular skill which is acquired between the age of 2 and a half and 4 depending on the child. If the child has not acquired this skill, taking them to the ski hill will be a waste of time since his/her brain ain't ready.
Not a waste of time if it leads to them associating the ski hill with fun.

fbrissette

Not a waste of time if it leads to them associating the ski hill with fun.
There are many ways to make it fun, but none of them involve an instructor trying to teach a kid to do the pizza slice if he is neurologically incapable of doing it.

nycskier

The best place to teach your kids to ski is somewhere near you. Don't drag them far. If you live in NJ or NYC take them to Big Snow and ski indoors in the Meadowlands. I can't think of a better place than that to teach little kids to ski for the 1st time. It's climate controlled, in a mall and always has perfect conditions. You do a few trips there in October and November and the toddlers are ready to go at the "big mountains" in December. I taught my toddlers to ski at Campgaw in NJ, Mount Peter in NY and eventually graduated them to "bigger" places like Mountain Creek. Lot's of these places will let kids under 4 or 6 ski for free. I remember buying a triple pass for Mountian Creek for $80, and going there with by 5 year old and his 70 year old grandfather who both got to ski for free while I was paying about $27 a ticket. The 1 must do is get them a season ski rental so they have the same equipment all winter and so you dont have to rent new gear every time you go. That is a disaster.