• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

MidnightJester

A good read for what's to come. Its a Onion and Babylon Bee type satire news with threads and bones of truth woven into its story.

Last edited:

HowieT2

When Thomas Edison developed DC electricity and George Westinghouse developed AC electricity, there was a huge debate over which current would work in the modern world. Along came Nikola Tesla, who proved using math and science that DC electricity would not work for the masses. It is mathematically impossible to generate DC current to power the electric grid. You would need a power plant on every street corner. How ironic, that Tesla's name is being used as part of the EV hoax. The same math and science Tesla used proves that EVs will never will work, you would need a power station at every home, every parking lot, every ski area, every apartment building, and you would need over 8,000 new power plants. Again, follow the math and science-like Tesla did-it is impossible for everyone to drive an EV.
a power plant on every street corner? wow that does seem daunting. If only there was a way to generate electricity on a small scale from the roofs of existing structures and open spaces. But if that were possible, surely Edison Westinghouse and/or Tesla would have done so a century ago, because there's been no advances in technology/science in the last 100 years.
For the record, the US has been installing over 20 gigawatts of solar capacity annually.

MidnightJester

a power plant on every street corner? wow that does seem daunting. If only there was a way to generate electricity on a small scale from the roofs of existing structures and open spaces. But if that were possible, surely Edison Westinghouse and/or Tesla would have done so a century ago, because there's been no advances in technology/science in the last 100 years.
For the record, the US has been installing over 20 gigawatts of solar capacity annually.

Not perfect numbers.
So I just looked up a Level 2 (Juice box) can draw "40-60 amps and run 2.5KW to 11.5KW depending on output"
approximately a good solar panel that is outputting at maximum is 300W these days in perfect conditions. that is (9 solar panels to nearly 40 solar panels) per electric Car or truck and that is at a rate of half a day or more to get more then half a charge. This means the panels cant power your house or charge some reserve battery for darkness when panels don't work yet on star light.

Additionally you need extra or almost twice the panels in the sun then you could ever use on average so you can charge a equivalent electrical storage battery for night or bad weather usage. Solar panels can either run something or charge something. If you do both you are spiting a number that has to equal the same maximum total for output. You need 2 panels to do the work of 1 to build a equivalent battery reserve with some grey area for higher usage

When solar panels eventually put out 1000W(1KW) or more per panel for the same size panel as today then we are in real solar powering technology for todays standards. Batteries will have to come down in price too.

Last edited:

skiur

Most on-grid solar in the USA does not have batteries. It used net metering so when your producing more than you use it puts that electric back into the grid and spins your meter backwards so you get credited that extra production to use while you are generating less power than you are using.

Granite1

A wind mill and solar panel on the roofs of existing structures generating electricity on a small scale. Once again your math and science does not add up. You and Edison have a lot in common. Poor at math.

Attachments

• gettyimages-947373704-2048x2048.jpg
    gettyimages-947373704-2048x2048.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 6

2Planker

Look at the Elec bike market. Now it's on to Elec motorcycles.
Next is Snowmobiles and ATV's...
I'll stick w/ my gas guzzeling 65 Ford V8 any day

Granite1

Look at the Elec bike market. Now it's on to Elec motorcycles.
Next is Snowmobiles and ATV's...
I'll stick w/ my gas guzzeling 65 Ford V8 any day
I love my 1974 Ford F100.....8 miles per gallon....Oh my God (I mean mother earth)....I'm destroying the planet.

MidnightJester

Most on-grid solar in the USA does not have batteries. It used net metering so when your producing more than you use it puts that electric back into the grid and spins your meter backwards so you get credited that extra production to use while you are generating less power than you are using.

That credited back for extra electric production is now messed with where I live. In theory it was ok but now they don't give you true market value they sell it for.
They used to give you say 12c credit you paid if you bought electricity from them but now they give less to make a profit on your generated electricity.

Granite1

The US uses 4,222 terawatts a year. One terawatt equals 1,000 gigawatts.
So that's 4,222,000 gigawatts a year. Currently, the US produces 27 gigawatts a year of solar energy. Only four million-two hundred twenty-one thousand nine hundred seventy gigawatts to keep pace. If everyone is forced to buy an EV, add at least 25% more electricity needed. That would be 5,277 terawatts a year equals 5,277,000 gigawatts. Please do the math; living without fossil fuels is impossible.

NYDB

So that's 4,222,000 gigawatts a year. Currently, the US produces 27 gigawatts a year of solar energy. Only four million-two hundred twenty-one thousand nine hundred seventy gigawatts to keep pace. If everyone is forced to buy an EV, add at least 25% more electricity needed. That would be 5,277 terawatts a year equals 5,277,000 gigawatts. Please do the math; living without fossil fuels is impossible.
dude, who is advocating living without fossil fuels? (besides the voices in your head).
solar, wind, tidal, nuclear, fossil fuels its all going to be needed.

and by the way, your 27 gigawatt number is dated. 131 gigawatts is the 2022 number. average annual growth rate of 33%.

Granite1

dude, who is advocating living without fossil fuels? (besides the voices in your head).
Where the hell have you been??????

MidnightJester

The amount of Left and a few right thinking politicians and people that would like to have (Zero nuclear and Zero fossil fuels) is scary. I cant put a number on it but it is scary. They have been shutting down Coal plants and Nuclear plants all over the world for a while and 3 states have passed laws or set a goal of no Gas cars, mowers, etc by 2035. That seems like a lot of "Advocating" they are attempting to do it as we are here now.

1dog

Forget ( for a minute, but not forever) the filth and destruction that is caused by mining for batteries ( lithium, nickel, cadmium, etc.) what about the energy required to make the view-destroying wind turbines?
Well worth the read- gives plenty of pause to giving governments any power is deciding 'whats best for the public'.
Cliff Note version:

A 3-MW wind turbine contains up to 4.7 tons of copper. Half is from the cable and wiring, 24% from the turbine/power generation components, 4% from transformers, and 19% from turbine transformers. Onshore wind farms use approximately 7,766 lbs. of copper per MW. /4

flakeydog

That's right kids, it's impossible. We should not even try.

The computer I am using to read and respond to this silly message board would have been housed in a large warehouse rather than sitting on my desk 60 years ago but that's different, EVs will never work.

Computing power has increased 1 Trillion-fold in the last 60 years but that's different, EVs will never work.

Modern products from TVs to light bulbs to snow guns use a fraction of the electricity they used to but that's different, EVs will never work.

We are looking at commercial space flight, have Rovers on Mars and landed on an asteroid but that's different, EVs will never work.

I can mow my lawn, snowblow my driveway, cut and assemble lumber with battery power but that's different, EVs will never work.

It's too bad because EVs seemed like a good idea. But as the saying goes, if something looks too hard you probably shouldn't even try- It's impossible!

Granite1

The computer I am using to read and respond to this silly message board would have been housed in a large warehouse rather than sitting on my desk 60 years ago but that's different, EVs will never work.

Computing power has increased 1 Trillion-fold in the last 60 years but that's different, EVs will never work.

Modern products from TVs to light bulbs to snow guns use a fraction of the electricity they used to but that's different, EVs will never work.

We are looking at commercial space flight, have Rovers on Mars and landed on an asteroid but that's different, EVs will never work.

I can mow my lawn, snowblow my driveway, cut and assemble lumber with battery power but that's different, EVs will never work.

It's too bad because EVs seemed like a good idea. But as the saying goes, if something looks too hard you probably shouldn't even try- It's impossible!
Edison had the same reasoning towards Tesla and was unable to comprehend the math....just like you.

skiur

On a desk? The computer I'm typing this on fits in my pocket!

MidnightJester

EV's and Green technology are Great ideas and Good causes and eventually will be much better products but the difference is the Forced change over they are attempting is not the way to do it. The ripple effects will be causing a fall back of Life standards not a improvement. You are supposed to show and sell a better product and people will buy and use it. Not hurt or remove a product and force you to buy another product that fits their life compass and doesn't work on the path you choose to take.

almost 25% of Charging station were considered down and non operational

So far I have also seen just about every Green technology be attempted to be controlled by the "powers that be"
Thermostats locked at temperatures you cant change (This is in multiple states and countries around the world)

EV Car owners told not to charge or drive(limited charge means limited driving) their EV

Since we can be told or forced to reduce or not to use water its one step away from doing the same with electricity to a extent they will limit your ability live your life and to do things of your own timing or choosing.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Imagine this in the Northeast in a blizzard : ( They are trying to make it a reality in 15 years or less. Within 1 year of a states switch to Zero gas car sales they will look like this everywhere unless charging times speed up incredibly

Last edited:

1dog

Its not that ( some or even most) American's can't see great changes effected by creativity, science, etc. Its gotta be unforced progress, not mandated.

Get rid of the mandates and allow free markets to work and there will be multiple solutions. ( After all, Rockefeller asked his R&D guys to 'find a use for this by-product of kerosene - gasoline).

Much of the innovation of the last 250 years was the product of liberty and freedom. Not regulation and government subsidies.

The example of the computing power of the Apollo program being minuscule to the I-Phone wasn't made by regulation. the hardware became commoditized - cheap enough for 'the poor' to own flat screens, couple of phones, and internet accessibility to use them.

Let people try to make a profit unencumbered by government and watch your prediction happen 10-fold.

The Solyndra example is a small one, how about we let private capital lose its money, not ours? There is plenty of that flying around.