• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

Or you do what SR does on lower MM/Race arena and have a buried pipeline mid trail that you uncap and install hydrants early season to make the far side and then remove and recap the hydrant connections when done. Always have felt this is labor intensive but that's what they do. Gets that full width open for racing quite quickly though.

Newpylong

That is extremely resource intensive. Wrenching off hydrants and then capping threadolets above ground in the summer is a PITA, forget below grade in winter.

If it's really an issue the easiest and most cost effective solution is just to run enough house out to sleds until the far side is done and then you pull them off the hill and swap over to the towers.

Dickc

That is extremely resource intensive. Wrenching off hydrants and then capping threadolets above ground in the summer is a PITA, forget below grade in winter.

If it's really an issue the easiest and most cost effective solution is just to run enough house out to sleds until the far side is done and then you pull them off the hill and swap over to the towers.
Sunday River also moves the post mounted tower guns to the middle of middle Sunday Punch below the mid station until they have made enough snow on the far side, then moved the guns back to the edge and pull the posts until the next season. I've always thought it seemed like a lot of work, but they do it every year.

machski

Sunday River also moves the post mounted tower guns to the middle of middle Sunday Punch below the mid station until they have made enough snow on the far side, then moved the guns back to the edge and pull the posts until the next season. I've always thought it seemed like a lot of work, but they do it every year.
Actually, I don't think they did last year. And it would not surprise me to see SR use Cascade as the early mid-bottom route now, especially given that is now the main upfeed and has mostly Klik hydrants. Might as well test that out this year, if Barker is changed out next summer, they may need that if work is ongoing with the install early season next year.

Newpylong

Here is the flowchart I had for our Impulses with 5 stage shifter. Never used a Klik but you can infer when the 4 different stages would be used by looking at the 5 stager.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101-220120_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-220120_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 36

HowieT2

Hope those new guns work in marginal temperatures. Next couple of weeks look warm.

Tin Woodsman

Rookies.

It's Jester>Downspout at the start pretty much every year, unless you get a strange temp set up in which case they may opt for VH Traverse>Snowball>Spring Fling or variants therein (e.g. w/o VH Traverse and running via VH lift). They don't start blowing snow on the GH pod until they're comfortable that the basic cruising way down from the summit to base is blown in for the season. I'd generally set December 1 as the over/under for when snowmaking begins on GH b/c they do need to get the seasonal/lesson programs going before Xmas break.

cdskier

Rookies.

It's Jester>Downspout at the start pretty much every year, unless you get a strange temp set up in which case they may opt for VH Traverse>Snowball>Spring Fling or variants therein (e.g. w/o VH Traverse and running via VH lift). They don't start blowing snow on the GH pod until they're comfortable that the basic cruising way down from the summit to base is blown in for the season. I'd generally set December 1 as the over/under for when snowmaking begins on GH b/c they do need to get the seasonal/lesson programs going before Xmas break.

Ever since they put the new pipe and guns on Spring Fling they've made that the goal to open first IF temps cooperate. Jester->DS is the backup plan when temps down low aren't good. And then the past couple years they started prioritizing a GH route earlier in the plan to help spread people across multiple lifts and keep beginners off Super Bravo.

Tin Woodsman

Thanks for the correction. What did the GH route displace in the sequence? Mid/lower OG? Murphy's