• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

cdskier

I'm not sure from where, but there wasn't enough of them. Tillotson did it as a hobby essentially. He made a bunch of money off his balloon invention, moved to NH and bought an old grand hotel like he'd stay in as a child. A friend of mine whose family has owned a classic hotel property on Cape Cod for 100+ years knew him well. Said the property rarely turned a profit. Once he died the family didn't have much interest in losing more money.

So, there really isn't a recent history perspective on how to run the place profitably and where to draw customers from. I'm guessing Montreal is the prime target, then Boston.

According to data on the New England Ski History website, they were only pulling in 22-34k skier visits some years. That's incredibly low. So agreed that where those people came from is pretty much irrelevant.

Newpylong

Yep, it was not a major ski destination at all. Coincidentally we ended up getting their groomers and fan guns after they folded.

cdskier

But not much of a ski area.

Hence the reason why where the small number of skier visitors that they previously had came from is irrelevant. But if Les wants to make this a "world class ski resort" and build it out to be the largest ski area in the east...he's going to need to get those numbers way up. And where he will draw those people from is a huge question mark.

eatskisleep

Hence the reason why where the small number of skier visitors that they previously had came from is irrelevant. But if Les wants to make this a "world class ski resort" and build it out to be the largest ski area in the east...he's going to need to get those numbers way up. And where he will draw those people from is a huge question mark.
It is indeed the biggest question of them all. I know Les gets a lot of hate here (and a good chunk of it, rightly so…) but, if there is anyone who could pull it off, it’s him. Just my opinion. The odds aren’t in his favor, but there is a chance!

machski

I hear ya.....
They've also mentioned an Airstrip could be possible in the future, as is the return of the BOS-Montreal Train already in process
There's already a decent (compared to most NE ski areas) strip nt too far, Berlin. Before The Balsams shut its doors, I flew a group up for the fall season from Philly to Berlin in a GV. Couldn't believe I was landing a GV in Berlin! Guarenteed, this is the target clientel LBO is looking for with the Balsams. It will be like the airlines and trans-oceanic flights to some extent. The premium passenger/guest will be where most of the $$ is made in smaller numbers. Fill in the rest with your weekend traffic guests. Which is why all the parts need to be ready (slopes/lodging/dining/spa etc) from day 1. You cannot just start up the Balsams on the slopes alone.

x10003q

There's already a decent (compared to most NE ski areas) strip nt too far, Berlin. Before The Balsams shut its doors, I flew a group up for the fall season from Philly to Berlin in a GV. Couldn't believe I was landing a GV in Berlin! Guarenteed, this is the target clientel LBO is looking for with the Balsams. It will be like the airlines and trans-oceanic flights to some extent. The premium passenger/guest will be where most of the $$ is made in smaller numbers. Fill in the rest with your weekend traffic guests. Which is why all the parts need to be ready (slopes/lodging/dining/spa etc) from day 1. You cannot just start up the Balsams on the slopes alone.
People who are flying private are never going to move the needle at The Balsams.

JDMRoma

Wasn’t it more of a summer resort than a winter one?
It was both for sure, summer they had the lake and Hiking and Winter was the Snowmobiling and Alpine / Cross country Skiing. The Cross Country trails were amazing.They also ran a culinary school there and meals were including with your stay. Granted it was pricey but everything was really good.
Hope it comes alive again, such a Beautiful area !

Tin Woodsman

People who are flying private are never going to move the needle at The Balsams.
Yup. Much easier to just fly 2 hours longer and have much more reliable conditions/glamorous setting in the Rockies. Same reason Hermitage Club and Bear Creek/Plymouth Notch failed. If you've got resources for a private ski club experience, you're not going to choose to locate that experience in New England.

snoseek

It was both for sure, summer they had the lake and Hiking and Winter was the Snowmobiling and Alpine / Cross country Skiing. The Cross Country trails were amazing.They also ran a culinary school there and meals were including with your stay. Granted it was pricey but everything was really good.
Hope it comes alive again, such a Beautiful area !
The Culinary school they had set up was fucking top notch. Just a few kids rolled out every year but godamn did they have a way better education and savings instead of debt and a world of opportunity coming out. I wish that was the norm.

Summer was way busier than winter up there and also a longer season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Culinary school they had set up was fucking top notch. Just a few kids rolled out every year but godamn did they have a way better education and savings instead of debt and a world of opportunity coming out. I wish that was the norm.

Summer was way busier than winter up there and also a longer season.

Part of the reason Ocean Properties was considering buying it was because of the culinary school. They own 100+ hotels including the Wentworth in NH, many Bar Harbor properties and the Sagamore on Lake George. They were considering using the Balsams as their training school for the company. End of the day, they didn't see a good ROI with the amount of deferred maintenance the property needed. That's saying something as they took the Wentworth from a vacant chicken coup of 30 years and made it the spectacular property it is now

snoseek

Part of the reason Ocean Properties was considering buying it was because of the culinary school. They own 100+ hotels including the Wentworth in NH, many Bar Harbor properties and the Sagamore on Lake George. They were considering using the Balsams as their training school for the company. End of the day, they didn't see a good ROI with the amount of deferred maintenance the property needed. That's saying something as they took the Wentworth from a vacant chicken coup of 30 years and made it the spectacular property it is now
I'm guessing the Wentworth was a much safer bet and yeah the before and after there is amazing.

2Planker

Correct, being from Conway we use Fryeburg, But did use Berlin years ago when Bethel was the destination

kickstand

Correct, being from Conway we use Fryeburg, But did use Berlin years ago when Bethel was the destination
In North Conway, is all the concrete on the east side of North-South Rd, down towards Lowe's, the remnants of the old air field that used to be in that general area? I seem to remember that from when I was a little kid, but nothing specific.

2Planker

In North Conway, is all the concrete on the east side of North-South Rd, down towards Lowe's, the remnants of the old air field that used to be in that general area? I seem to remember that from when I was a little kid, but nothing specific.
A group of local businessmen expressed a desire for a regional airport to provide additional means to access the Mount Washington Valley region. Discussions were underway between the Maine and New Hampshire Departments of Transportation to construct a new airport to improve economic development and air access within the region. The Eastern Slope Airport Authority (ESAA), was formed to commence efforts towards developing a new public airport. Land was purchased in Fryeburg, Maine and developed into what is known today as Eastern Slope Regional Airport (IZG).
th

OIP.SMr6nqNSnrtKfjZKXXhk9QHaHs

Dickc

I believe you are talking about where the Settlers Green Outlet Village now is. Yes that was at one time an airport.