• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre, 1/5/14

Bene288

Date(s) Skied: 1/5/14

Resort or Ski Area: Belleayre, NY

Conditions: Packed powder, powder

Trip Report: Fantastic day in the Catskills today. My girlfriend and I met up with my uncle from NJ. We arrived at the upper lot around 8:30, temps were in the low teens with beautiful sunny skies. The place was dead for being a weekend after a big storm. I think the bogus NWS report of "rain likely before 1pm" turned off a lot of people. Lifts were ski on all day. We all shed layers after the 2nd run and skied in sweatshirts.

The snow skied excellent, fast but easy to hook. Many of the trails had boot deep powder on the sides. The woods were in play and everything was bumped up. I enjoy that Belleayre leaves a lot of options for natural terrain. We spent the day on trails like Upper Yahoo, Upper Onteora, Cathedral Brook, etc. Pretty much all of the upper steeps, and even a few trails I've never noticed before.

Aside from the great conditions, the highlight of the day was watching my girlfriend comfortably ski moguls and enjoy it in the process. The bumps were very soft on everything but Winnisook.

Run of the day was definitely Cathedral Brook, my uncle and I even hiked up and took it from the top, which is very rare. The extra trail you get to ski is completely worth the hike in my opinion.

If I had to sum up the day in one picture, it would be this one:ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388975059.832887.jpg
Bumps and more bumps!

But here are a few more:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388975096.879360.jpg
Uncle's yard sale on Cathedral Brook

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388975133.046147.jpg
Top of Dot Nebel

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1388975170.296427.jpg
Lower Cathedral Brook

Probably my best non powder day at Belleayre. The weather held out until about 3:30, up until 1:30 or so it was bluebird conditions. I think I even got a slight goggle tan.

Bene288

Nice.. Are they liberal with inbound trees and such?

I've never had an issue there. They have gladed terrain on their map, but I've skied the upper trees that are not marked many times. However, many of their inbound tree areas are so overgrown you'd need a machete to get through.

Abominable

Awesome. I was there on Saturday (for the first time in many years) and had a good time as well. Nice pics!