• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter AZ Gathering - 12/15/2006

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 12/15/2006, 9:00 am - 3:15 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain, New York

Conditions: Spring bumps, corn; Sunny am, cloudy pm, warm and calm

Trip Report: This has to go down as the largest AZ gathering so far. The look on dmc's face at one point when we told him the whole group was pretty much AZers was priceless! Let's see. The list in no particilar order was: Greg, bvibert, JimG., dmc, andyzee & V, zook and three friends, Grassi21, MarkC, eastcoastskier, Hawkshot99, trtaylor, highpeaksdrifter, Son of Drifter, 2knees, cbcbd and two friends, and finally Eski for a run or two. Hope I didn't miss anyone. That's 16 AZers and friends of AZers brough the total to 22!

Things went smoothly getting the group rate for 14 folks. Thanks so much everybody for being prompt. That part went off without a hitch. The groups sort of broke off naturally into smaller groups based on ability and desired terrain. The only group I didn't get a chance to ski much with was the zook crew. :( Next time guys. In a sense the limited terrain made it easy to mix things up with the different groups throughout the day. It was impossible to keep a group this large together so I just tried to encourage everyone to do their own thing and have fun. I think it worked out well.

The main runs were the HBK mainline, with Ike as a final option, Minkya/Lower Crossover, and Belt. There were a few other connector trails and such. After about 10 am, everything softened up into some great corn snow and spring bumps. Kind of bittersweet this time of year but still a great day. We kind of felt guilty having this much fun on spring snow in December.

Big funky bump line skier's left of Hellgate. Some very nice bumps on Ike - but it was a bit thin, and more manageable bumps on Minya. There were several other lines scattered on the mountain and plenty of corn snow for the non-bumpers. I didn't ski Belt but heard it was nice; although a bit firm till later in the morning.

I won't go into trail-by-trail detail and will ultimately let the videos (three shooters - Brian on a new DV cam, AndyZee helmet cam and my with the point and shoot) tell the story. Really really great day of skiing. I spent most of my time on the bumps with JimG., 2knees and the Drifters, but still managed some time with many of the other AZers on and off the bumps.

Anyway, great to meet up with some new AZers. We all share a passion; that's obvious. I think everyone had a great day! I sure did!

2knees

great time for sure. good to put some faces to screen names. dont know about anyone else, but my legs are quivering still. some big bumps out there today.

there are alot of very good skiers on this board. HPD and son, a pleasure to watch you two ski, as well as everyone else.

Greg

Staff member
Oh yeah - and thanks again Colin for the beer. I'll post more thoughts later...

dmc

Great day.. I'm pretty beat up right now.. Enjoyed meeting the AZ crew..

It's actually raining now... :roll:

2knees

dmc, just wanted to say that you snowboard like a mofo.

I saw you rip up the edge on eisenhower, pond skimming bare spots.

Greg

Staff member
Some pics:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=626

My favorite:

IMG_1111.jpg

Nordica: Represent!

Working on a vid!

eastcoastskiier

yea great day guys.. next time the legs will be up to par.. hopefully the ability will be back where it was end of last season.. and the snow will be what it should.. but beggers cant be choosers; and im a begger

Greg

Staff member
Okay. Here's the vid I put together. It seems I only had footage of the guys who were ripping the bumps. I think between the andyzee helmet cam and Brian's camera the other AZers should be pretty well represented. Anyway, I figured using a song titled "Bittersweet" for a soundtrack was appropriate, as skiing spring bumps in the middle of December was indeed bittersweet. Anyway, enjoy:

Hunter - 12/15/2005

It's a big file (18 MB) so it may take a while to download. Just a great day! :spread:

dmc

dmc, just wanted to say that you snowboard like a mofo.

I saw you rip up the edge on eisenhower, pond skimming bare spots.

Thanks.. I had a full head of steam yesterday... :)

Not to turn this into a total lovefest - but you got good bump skillz...

Grassi21

Okay. Here's the vid I put together. It seems I only had footage of the guys who were ripping the bumps. I think between the andyzee helmet cam and Brian's camera the other AZers should be pretty well represented. Anyway, I figured using a song titled "Bittersweet" for a soundtrack was appropriate, as skiing spring bumps in the middle of December was indeed bittersweet. Anyway, enjoy:

Hunter - 12/15/2005

It's a big file (18 MB) so it may take a while to download. Just a great day! :spread:

I have a long way to go before I can think of starting to ski bumps. But, you guys make bump skiing seem like a blast!

The JimG blooper reel is priceless. But to JimG's credit, he bounced right back up and finish the run.

Greg

Staff member
The JimG blooper reel is priceless. But to JimG's credit, he bounced right back up and finish the run.
Indeed. Jim truly is a total in control skier, but the dance with that mogul just had to be shared... :lol: ;) It's ironic cuz a run or two before that Pat and I were begging Jim to just bobble a little bit so we wouldn't look so sloppy. He truly commands his run and is a pleasure to watch ski. Colin and Skip definitely rock the bumps too. They both make it look so effortless. Pat is always fun to watch attck the bumps in that balls to the wall old school fashion. I'm definitely the least skilled of the bumpers yesterday, but it was fun trying to keep up! :spread:

jack97

2knees,

You nailed a couple of nice absorption with the knees; around 3:14 to 3:19. Did it feel like you where centered?

But overall, you’re still in the back seat. You could have driven the tips down but it looks like you’re relying on jetting your skis as you crest the bump to hit the up coming landing target, kind of a catch-22. The more jetting, the harder it is to stay centered. From the side, it looks like the hips is still back, got to bring it forward, got to practice that on the flats.

highpeaksdrifter

Okay. Here's the vid I put together. It seems I only had footage of the guys who were ripping the bumps.

You think maybe its cause that's all you want to ski? :grin:

Guys in the Vid.

Greg - I didn't know you where so good. You rip the bumps.
DMC - I know nothing about snowboarding technique, but my eyes and common sense tell me you're great at it.
JimmyG. - Even though we had never met it felt like I was meeting up with an old friend. You have very strong technique, it's easy to see why you have a level 3 certification.
2knees - you are nice. I love your old school bang em out, balls to the wall bump style. I enjoyed our conversation on the chair. You have alot of dedication, hope you make it to Whiteface.
SOD - the boy can turn them for sure. Those where the first bumps we skied this season, he's even better with a little pratice. Yeah, I know I'm his father, but he really is good.
HPD - was very sore, but happy the next day. :-D

Jack the Ripper

(Jack the Ripper aka Son of Drifter) Switched username to match mine @ SKIADK. Nice vid. 2knees was putting on a clinic in the bumps. Greg I do believe you looked much better here than in the first vid I saw of you this year. Jimmy G was graceful even in defeat. Really enjoyed meeting and ripping with you guys. We'll have to do it again real soon.

Jack the Ripper

2knees,

You nailed a couple of nice absorption with the knees; around 3:14 to 3:19. Did it feel like you where centered?

But overall, you’re still in the back seat. You could have driven the tips down but it looks like you’re relying on jetting your skis as you crest the bump to hit the up coming landing target, kind of a catch-22. The more jetting, the harder it is to stay centered. From the side, it looks like the hips is still back, got to bring it forward, got to practice that on the flats.

I don't know what you were looking at Jack. I haven't seen such tight form since the WC Bump comp at WF. 2knees ROCKS those piles old school style. What's not on the vid is a straightline run down ike were 2knees didn't waiver an inch off his line in the bumps. :grin:

2knees did Mrs 2 knees catch you? I hope not. :spread: