• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Find me a bike

awf170

FSR and $1,500ish for a max price. As anyone who rode with me Sunday know, I know absolutely nothing about bikes. What I do know though is a want a bike that can be hucked and beaten on. Basically I think my riding style is going to become like my how I ski, so huck anything within reason, and basically just be all around stupid. I do want something that will climb decently though, so nothing competely DH. I only weigh a 135 pounds so I really don't need anything that tough. It doesn't need to be super light either since I'll still have my bike I rode Sunday if I want to do a ton of hill climing and I'm in pretty good shape anyway.

Basically give me any insight you have and post any awesome deals you find. I have basically all summer to figure this out and I'm in no rush at all, I just figured I would get some opinions before I started browsing aimlessly.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
radio-flyer-classic-red-tricycle.jpg

wa-loaf

Talk to MrEvil. He seems to be the most dialed in on the latest stuff. From other posts I know he likes http://www.ibexbikes.com/ and it seems you definitely get more for you dough from them. I'll be checking them out when I look for a new bike.

MR. evil

Full suspension. Maybe only Specialized uses the term FSR? Or I just thought it might full suspension and it might be something else? :dunce:

The common wisdom (that I happen to agree with) is that you should ride a Hard tail w/ front suspension for a few years before moving to FS. Starting off on a HT will also make you a much better rider when you eventually move onto a FS.

Also, unless you do get a smoking deal online, $1500 will not get you much of a FS bike.

MR. evil

This bike is well under you budget, and a really nice HT. This would be my recommendation. Also, if you want to move up to FS in a season or two you wouldn’t have spent to much money
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

Same as bike above with much better components & suspension. If you want to eventually move up to FS I wouldn’t waste the extra cash on this bike. But if you plan on riding this for more than a couple of seasons spend the extra money and get this one
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

The is a very nice FS rig with a very nice components package.
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-COMP-X7-Details.html

Same as bike above but with better components and suspension. Also right at your max budget. If you are determined to go FS get this one, the extra money will pay for itself in the long run
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html

I also just saw an add on MTBR for a used Ibex Atas (same exact bike I have) for $800. The Atlas model is a much beefier bike than the Asta. It is meant to take serious abuse, but is also much heavier. But the Asta is no joke. I know some Down Hill guys in N. California the bough an Asta a couple of years ago just to check it out. They beat the tar out of it on DH style rides. The bike is still going strong.

Greg

Staff member
Also, unless you do get a smoking deal online, $1500 will not get you much of a FS bike.

Didn't you pay quite a bit less than that for your bike? The recommended budget on the bike thing just seems to be going up and up. Sure, $1,500 is not top of the line, but is it truly fair to say that it's "not much" of a FS bike?

MR. evil

Didn't you pay quite a bit less than that for your bike? The recommended budget on the bike thing just seems to be going up and up. Sure, $1,500 is not top of the line, but is it truly fair to say that it's "not much" of a FS bike?

Yes my bike was less than that, but I also got a great deal online. At a bike shop, $1500 is the very low end for FS. With something like an Ibex ,or a close out deal online you can get a nice bike for $1500. Even though I only paid $1100 for my bike (on sale from $1300) it would have gone for close to $2000 in a bike shop.

Greg

Staff member
Yes my bike was less than that, but I also got a great deal online. At a bike shop, $1500 is the very low end for FS. With something like an Ibex ,or a close out deal online you can get a nice bike for $1500. Even though I only paid $1100 for my bike (on sale from $1300) it would have gone for close to $2000 in a bike shop.

Gotcha. I think I merged your two posts together and thought you meant an Ibex FS at $1,500 wasn't much of a bike. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.

awf170

The common wisdom (that I happen to agree with) is that you should ride a Hard tail w/ front suspension for a few years before moving to FS. Starting off on a HT will also make you a much better rider when you eventually move onto a FS.

How about a month or so more on my rigid bike? Not to be arrogant but I think I progress at things like biking a good amount faster than a normal person. Like I said earlier, my ride on Sunday was my one week anniversary from when I started riding. Before that they last time I ever mountain biked was in middle school, and even then I only went like 5 times a year and did barely any single track (nothing challenging at all).

Also, what is the reasoning behind riding a HT for a few year before riding a FS?

Gotcha. I think I merged your two posts together and thought you meant an Ibex FS at $1,500 wasn't much of a bike. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.

Yeah, the orange is quite radical. I think I might get it for that reason alone.

BTW: I got another flat today... I think it is time for some new tires. Also the north side of Lynn woods in retardedly difficult. The easiest thing I did today was a fair amount harder than the hardest thing we did on Sunday. I would call today more a hike then a bike since I was walking it about 60% of the time.

MR. evil

that Asta X9 in orange is effin' rad.

Yes it is!

I almost bought an Asta. I ended up getting the Atlas becuase at the time my lower back was really bothering me and I wanted a more up-right riding position.

tjf67

If you know you are going to ride then I would step up and buy the FS off the bat.

This bike
Same as bike above but with better components and suspension. Also right at your max budget. If you are determined to go FS get this one, the extra money will pay for itself in the long run
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html
Seems like a decent deal.

wa-loaf

How about a month or so more on my rigid bike? Not to be arrogant but I think I progress at things like biking a good amount faster than a normal person. Like I said earlier, my ride on Sunday was my one week anniversary from when I started riding. Before that they last time I ever mountain biked was in middle school, and even then I only went like 5 times a year and did barely any single track (nothing challenging at all).

If it's that old stump-jumper, it's a little old, but a really sweet bike. Unless the steel is rusting away fix that up and ride it for a bit. Spend the money on the full suspension.

tjf67

Perhaps, but again the most important thing is that it's radical looking in orange:

ASTA-EXP-OR-420.jpg

:razz:

Tru dat.

How much travel are in those shocks do you know. I hate the metrics.
I would look for a set up with 5 inches of travel.

My bike is old and only has three. The extra two inches make a lot of differance.

Greg

Staff member
Tru dat.

My bike is old and only has three. The extra two inches make a lot of differance.

"Triple-Butted 6069 Aluminum w/ 4" Travel"

bvibert

Staff member
Tru dat.

100mm equals about 4 inches.

I think you'd have to go to more of an AM setup (like the Atlas) to get into the 5 inch range

Greg

Staff member
100mm equals about 4 inches.

I think you'd have to go to more of an AM setup (like the Atlas) to get into the 5 inch range

Looks like their Ignition series is 5" too.

Austin's not exactly a heavy guy. I would imagine that makes a difference with him being less likely to bottom out on a bike with less travel, no?